Shutterstock Unlimited is here!!!

I think Shutterstock is trying to make 1.5x the revenue they have now which will cause contributors who contribute to multiple sites to lose 1/2 income because of Shutterstock taking away decent price sales from other sites.  It may be a good business model for them, but not for us.

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

I think Shutterstock is trying to make 1.5x the revenue they have now which will cause contributors who contribute to multiple sites to lose 1/2 income because of Shutterstock taking away decent price sales from other sites.  It may be a good business model for them, but not for us.

Its what the airlines did to stop cheap transatlantic flights from new upstarts.

Undercut themselves massively because they had a buffer, force the others out of business then once that happened, put the price up high.

SS are gambling on having a big enough library that even if all the quality disappears, they have enough left to do it.

1 hour ago, Former_Poster said:

They might want to work on customer service though.  They have one of the worst entries for any company on the planet on TrustPilot - and this is from *customers* not contributors.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.shutterstock.com

Maybe a company looking to spend thousands on access to an image library should take a read!

image.thumb.png.1a3a36fdbcc605e2723399541f3f58ca.png

To be fair - if you read the reviews you will understand that most of the negative reviews are from people who  signed up for the free trial not reading the conditions, so they weren't aware that they had to cancel (Sorry, no pity for people who think Shutterstock would just give them 10 free images out of the generosity of their hearts without any strings attached). These aren't really "customers". Just people who wanted 10 free images.

And most of the rest from people who wanted out of their subsription for other reasons, but didn't understand that this is not possible without a fine. And rightful so. Imagine you subscripe to the biggest plan that runs for a whole year, you use it for 2 or 3 months, then you want to cancel - if SS let you just cancel like this you would have enjoyed images for a much cheaper price than a yearly subscription would have allowed. Understand what I mean? To make it a bit simplier,  Imagine SS had different subscription plan. (I mean, they do, but let's make up simplier numbers to make it easier) One where you pay a monthly subscription where you get 50 images for 25cent each within a month and one where you pay only 10 cents for 50 images per month, but you have to commit to it for a whole year. The people who want to cancel the subscription basically want the first subscription model for the price of the second.

1 hour ago, Former_Poster said:

Undercut themselves massively because they had a buffer, force the others out of business then once that happened, put the price up high.

I don't understand this, how did SS undercut themselves or force the competition out of business ?

Did they lower the prices (other than this new unlimited thing)? I don't think buyers know (or care) what is going on with contributor commissions.

In my mind, this unlimited subscription looks more like a last desperate move to squeeze out as much money of this business as possible before it collapses, for good.

This is nothing but the API contract, not new.

pbutton.jpg

Seems like some people here are just looking for things to be wrong and blowing up a standard partner contract that's been around for years.

No I'm not a big fan of API and yes, we probably get a dime from these. But the Unlimited is not some new offer to help the race to the bottom.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

This is nothing but the API contract, not new.

pbutton.jpg

Seems like some people here are just looking for things to be wrong and blowing up a standard partner contract that's been around for years.

No I'm not a big fan of API and yes, we probably get a dime from these. But the Unlimited is not some new offer to help the race to the bottom.

Well, the article is dated February 8, 2021, doesn't seem to be around for years.

You have more experience with these things so how do you understand this add called " our new Shutterstock Unlimited plan. "

limit.jpg.24099231580830516f3e6f101e4027d6.jpg

2 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I don't understand this, how did SS undercut themselves or force the competition out of business ?

Did they lower the prices (other than this new unlimited thing)? I don't think buyers know (or care) what is going on with contributor commissions.

In my mind, this unlimited subscription looks more like a last desperate move to squeeze out as much money of this business as possible before it collapses, for good.

Drive the price down, use that to force others out of business.

Lower prices yes, outside unlimited we have the switch to video subscriptions, cheaper image packages and so on.

If you look at their offerings they've dropped prices a lot in the last 12 months for various packages.

2 hours ago, Firn said:

To be fair - if you read the reviews you will understand that most of the negative reviews are from people who  signed up for the free trial not reading the conditions, so they weren't aware that they had to cancel (Sorry, no pity for people who think Shutterstock would just give them 10 free images out of the generosity of their hearts without any strings attached). These aren't really "customers". Just people who wanted 10 free images.

Its more the customer service (or lack of).  Rude, don't respond, almost impossible to contact and so on.

Same thing contributors find.

(It does also show a lot of potential buyers have no intention of buying - they want a few free things then off they go).

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

Well, the article is dated February 8, 2021, doesn't seem to be around for years.

You have more experience with these things so how do you understand this add called " our new Shutterstock Unlimited plan. "

limit.jpg.24099231580830516f3e6f101e4027d6.jpg

2018: what is this and how is it different except the name? 🧐

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/future-proof-with-shutterstock-api

OK so they gave it a new name? They announced on the blog something with a new promotional message? I don't see anything in this "new" plan that's actually new or different.

2018: "A proven way to maximize marketing success is to provide your users with high-quality multimedia assets that form the “building blocks” of powerful content."

2021: "Instead, you tell us what you need and give your users unlimited content access through our API for just one flat annual fee." I don't understand the sign up for free part?

So now the unlimited plan of 2018 where companies paid for access to what they linked to their customers is an unlimited plan where they link everything to their customers for free. Maybe I should ask this way. How much did it cost per download before for unlimited downloads, compared to how much does it cost now for unlimited downloads. Does someone have that information.

Does any of that matter if we only get a dime either way?

2018: what is this and how is it different except the name?

I don't see the word "unlimited" downloads or "no download caps" in the 2018 article, perhaps because I didn't read all the crap just searched with the browser. You are probably right though:

Does any of that matter if we only get a dime either way?

16 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I don't see the word "unlimited" downloads or "no download caps" in the 2018 article, perhaps because I didn't read all the crap just searched with the browser. You are probably right though:

I think the point is, I ask myself, does any of this matter to me? Does anything in unlimited downloads 2021 or unlimited access 2018 change how much I get paid?

Someone needs to help here and tell me:

1) What did we get paid in June 2020 for API downloads?

2) What did We get in January 2021 for API downloads?

3) What will we get with the new API  "Unlimited plan" in 2021?

If it's unchanged, I don't care what they call the plan to sell it to API customers.

So can anyone answer 1, 2 or 3?

2 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

Please don't be so selfish. Think about the clients. Think about the poor stockholders. Think about the management and the company. I's not all about you. (irony warning)

Finally an empathetic provider!

Altruism is extremely important in these bad times.

Thank you, Ackab! Finally, a contributor who also thinks of the shareholders. For this, the shutterstock management will include you in their night prayer.

10 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

38c down to 10c after june...

Living in the past? Maybe The question was too complicated for you. How does this change anything for any contributor? Now and in the future?

Lets see, I've just been stabbed in the heart, shot through the head,  and hung out on a tree... why does it matter where I'm buried?

5 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

Please don't be so selfish. Think about the clients. Think about the poor stockholders. Think about the management and the company. I's not all about you. (irony warning)

Thank you for understanding. We should all be celebrating how the dime we get, won't be changed by the new unlimited plan. Instead contributors are worrying about how the company or stock holders will survive their income cut.

You're right, I'm shallow and only thinking of myself. 👍

2 hours ago, Rudy Matchinga said:

"the shutterstock management will include you in their night prayer."   I wonder what the management prays for at night?

The God of power and corporations, the hero accountant,  Moe Money.

Hi folks!

We knew you'd have questions, and had planned to share this with you before the announcement. Thanks for your patience.

K

What is Shutterstock Unlimited?

Shutterstock Unlimited is a new subscription plan offered by the Platform Solutions team. It represents the next evolution of our API strategy, which expands the reach of Shutterstock content to users who are not currently Shutterstock customers and offers new revenue streams for contributors.

What does “Unlimited” mean? How “Unlimited” is this content, really?

“Unlimited” applies only to the total number of asset licenses, but the content and license terms are both significantly limited. The content comprises a collection of carefully selected, underutilized images and videos. Content can only be used within partner platforms, and cannot be downloaded for other use. The Unlimited model is currently only available on digital platforms and does not apply to print and merchandise partners (e.g., Zazzle, Art.com, etc.).

Why are we offering this plan?

We are launching this plan in response to market and partner demand. The API partner model is fundamentally different from our other enterprise partnerships. It does not replace, compete with, or cannibalize sales of content through other channels, including our main eCommerce site.

This offering is aligned with best-practice subscription models that provide unlimited access to a content library (think Netflix and Spotify). It helps platform partners better predict and manage their content needs, and it enables Shutterstock to grow our platform partnerships with companies like Wix, Wave, and Lumen5 and continue to offer new, more stable revenue streams for contributors.

How is the content in the Unlimited plan selected?  

The images and videos are curated from a collection of quality content that has historically underperformed in both revenue generation and contributor payouts. All of the content is at least 2 years old and has never been previously licensed. The Unlimited plan expands distribution of this underutilized content.

What is the value for contributors?

Through Platform Solutions’ connections to over 7500 platform partners, this new plan further extends our reach to new customers that do not currently work with Shutterstock.

For many of our contributors, Shutterstock Unlimited will provide a new revenue stream for underperforming content, as well as more stability in payout volume over time. All of the content in the Unlimited collection will continue to be available for purchase on the main Shutterstock.com eCommerce site.

How many assets are included in the Unlimited Plan?
100M images and 4M videos are currently included in the Unlimited plan, and music tracks will be added later in 2021. 

How much do I get paid?

The pricing has not changed from our existing API payout model, which is similar to the payout model on eCommerce subscription plans. Contributors receive a percentage of the licensing price paid by platform partners and end users.

How is my content used? 

Content in the Unlimited Model can only be used within specific platform partnerships, and cannot be downloaded or used off platform. This is a very limited license, granted to one user on one platform for platform use only.

Can I opt out?

No, participation in our partnership deals is part of the Shutterstock Contributor agreement (TOS). However, Shutterstock Unlimited does not currently apply to contributors at our highest earnings levels.

4 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi folks!

We knew you'd have questions, and had planned to share this with you before the announcement. Thanks for your patience.

K

What is Shutterstock Unlimited?

Shutterstock Unlimited is a new subscription plan offered by the Platform Solutions team. It represents the next evolution of our API strategy, which expands the reach of Shutterstock content to users who are not currently Shutterstock customers and offers new revenue streams for contributors.

What does “Unlimited” mean? How “Unlimited” is this content, really?

“Unlimited” applies only to the total number of asset licenses, but the content and license terms are both significantly limited. The content comprises a collection of carefully selected, underutilized images and videos. Content can only be used within partner platforms, and cannot be downloaded for other use. The Unlimited model is currently only available on digital platforms and does not apply to print and merchandise partners (e.g., Zazzle, Art.com, etc.).

Why are we offering this plan?

We are launching this plan in response to market and partner demand. The API partner model is fundamentally different from our other enterprise partnerships. It does not replace, compete with, or cannibalize sales of content through other channels, including our main eCommerce site.

This offering is aligned with best-practice subscription models that provide unlimited access to a content library (think Netflix and Spotify). It helps platform partners better predict and manage their content needs, and it enables Shutterstock to grow our platform partnerships with companies like Wix, Wave, and Lumen5 and continue to offer new, more stable revenue streams for contributors.

How is the content in the Unlimited plan selected?  

The images and videos are curated from a collection of quality content that has historically underperformed in both revenue generation and contributor payouts. All of the content is at least 2 years old and has never been previously licensed. The Unlimited plan expands distribution of this underutilized content.

What is the value for contributors?

Through Platform Solutions’ connections to over 7500 platform partners, this new plan further extends our reach to new customers that do not currently work with Shutterstock.

For many of our contributors, Shutterstock Unlimited will provide a new revenue stream for underperforming content, as well as more stability in payout volume over time. All of the content in the Unlimited collection will continue to be available for purchase on the main Shutterstock.com eCommerce site.

How many assets are included in the Unlimited Plan?
100M images and 4M videos are currently included in the Unlimited plan, and music tracks will be added later in 2021. 

How much do I get paid?

The pricing has not changed from our existing API payout model, which is similar to the payout model on eCommerce subscription plans. Contributors receive a percentage of the licensing price paid by platform partners and end users.

How is my content used? 

Content in the Unlimited Model can only be used within specific platform partnerships, and cannot be downloaded or used off platform. This is a very limited license, granted to one user on one platform for platform use only.

Can I opt out?

No, participation in our partnership deals is part of the Shutterstock Contributor agreement (TOS). However, Shutterstock Unlimited does not currently apply to contributors at our highest earnings levels.

Hello Kate,

is there a guarantee that "Unlimited" will remain limited to the content of our portfolios that are at least 2 years old and have never been licensed? Or should we expect Shutterstock to include other files in the "Unlimited" model if the business model is successful from Shutterstock's point of view?

How are the highest earning levels (those not involved in "Unlimited") defined? Which levels are not affected?

If the pricing will not change from the previous API payout model, does that mean specifically that contributors can expect to earn $0.10?

I - and probably countless other contributors - would be grateful for an honest answer.

Yours sincerely,

Wilm

Hi Wilm,

Thanks for your thoughtful questions. 

While I can’t offer a guarantee about what content might be eligible for which products in the future, I can say that we are committed to maintaining the value of your content in the marketplace. It doesn’t make sense to make every asset available at the lowest prices - when some content can and should command more. 

For our initial launch, images from contributors who reached Level 6 for images in 2020 were not included. I’m not sure how often the set of available images will be updated or when or why that rule might change. I do know that we are in a real “learning mindset” here, and that, depending on how customers interact with this content, we may want to change up how items get selected for inclusion.

There’s been no change to the 10 cent minimum earning threshold. 

Have a great weekend.

K

I'm surprised to see somebody from Shutterstock actually monitor the forum and respond.  I thought they don't care anymore.

"100M images and 4M videos are currently included in the Unlimited plan"

That's a lot of contents.  Considering about 85% of my contents never have sold, many or majority of our contents will be offered for this unlimited deal.  I'll give it a chance to see if my total revenue from not only Shutterstock, but all sites including Adobe Stock and Pond5 improve with this Shutterstock unlimited, but if this creates negative effect in my overall revenue from all sites, I'll un-license my contents again.