Useful small camera article

While there is some questions about the future of Olympus Cameras due to the purchase of the Olympus' camera division by JIP,  the EM 1 mark II sells for just under $1,000.00 and a 24-90 (equiv.) pro lens is right at $550.00.  This Pro level camera and lens provides far more features than any of the cameras mentioned in this article. 

I have been using Olympus cameras for the last four years (after selling my full frame Canon 5D II) and I would never consider using anything else.  In my opinion they are the best cameras I have ever owned especially for my genre, Nature and Travel.   One more option to consider.   

Thanks @Steve Bower

I purchased the Canon G5X.  At the time I didn't have any choice.  I needed a small camera I could afford, with some zoom capacity and, most importantly, a large  viewfinder that stands 'proud' and is not at the (wrong) far end.  I use my left eye for distance and can only use a viewfinder.  Sadly, at least a couple of years ago when I bought it, there weren't any other affordable options.

I noticed that the Sony Alpha 6000 range wasn't included. I have an old (3-4year old) Sony A6000 which cost then €600 incl equivalent 24-70mm kit lens. It fits in my pocket (photo/fisherman-jacket), it's APS-C 24MP and it produces the most amazingly sharp photo's. Now the same camera costs around €400 and it's been superceded by the 6100, 6400 and 6600. Fine if you want 4K video which mine doesn't have but for quality photo's and price, nothing else comes really close.

Yeah I notice the Canon G X was in there and not the M. I would have picked the M-50 instead. Interchangeable lenses, 4K, probably the same sensor, Digic 8 processor, mirrorless.

Looked today's prices:  GXIII $999 M-50 II $699 with a lens.

Yes I'm a Canon shooter, just pointing out my area of interest.

I've seen some of the new Sony cameras and they are really, really nice!

I still think the 24 Mp Sony Alpha 6000 is a great bargain. I bought mine with kit lens 16-50mm for €600. Since then (3 years ago) the price has dropped to around €500. I still find it difficult to believe that even the cheapo lenses for the camera (16-50mm kit lens and the 55-210mm telezoom) are as good as they are considering the price.

We're still in serious lockdown and I've taken to shooting garden birds (poor little boggers are starving and cold 'cos global warming is suddenly not all it's been cracked up to be in NL at least).

This is the cheapo Sony zoom at 150mm through an old double glass window!....OK so I did clean it first!

DSC09733J2-1500.jpg

One downside of lenses like the Sony 16-50 is that they’re electrically extended for use. Same with the RX100, which is a tiny camera and its 1-inch sensor gets by in good light. But in the dust and moisture of travel photography, those electrically extended lenses do fail, and then photography stops.

I prefer the mechanically extended solution like in the tiny Lumix 12-32 (24-64mm equivalent). I carry a Lumix GX85 with that lens in a belt pouch, though it’s small enough for a large pocket, and it has been very robust. Lots of Shutterstock sales with that little camera. They also make a 35-100 which is a 70-200 equivalent, that takes up very little room in a pocket.

Of course all these smaller cameras and lenses are terribly slow in light gathering compared to a big SLR with a 2.8. The Lumix 12-32 would be about f6.3 to 11 wide open equivalence. While fine in daylight, in low light they struggle with noise, and given Shutterstock’s new no-compromise image assessment software, I’m wondering if that article is already out of date.