• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's an interesting sentence on the "unlimited" page (https://www.shutterstock.com/de/business/shutterstock-unlimited): "We follow the most rigorous licensing standards in the industry to ensure ar

Well looks like Shutterstock has joined AS and P5 in a collapse of sales so deep and sudden it defies my understanding. At this time of the month in February 2020, I was sitting at $53.70. Moving to s

Got a small boost with a video sale for $8.27 but I don't know how contributors with images alone (exception of those with many thousands or a niche) can do this. Almost every image download is 10 cen

Posted Images

Well, I am relatively new to SS, starting last Sept/Oct, and usually earned $30-50 per month. Now I have ~3000 images, and Feb has been the best month so far with $ 116. Three big sales of $44, $25 and $20 each. Never even knew that sales per image could be so high. I hope the trend continues.

27 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

We are hugely undervaluing our work.

10 years ago few people would consider $44 as a “big sale”. Those statements are a sign of the times.

Interesting observation. As the years continue on it seems to be getting worse where new contributors will be thrilled to be even making 5 cents per sale regardless of the 'cut' the company takes. And worse yet, many new contributors will be happy to submit their content for mere recognition of their photos, videos and other artwork being downloaded and used in articles or commercials with no compensation whatsoever.

This might be my current shocking month on Shutterstock that influences me thinking this, but I'm actually wondering why many more contributors of prolific high quality content have not already unlisensed their port with such crap commissions. Like I said, maybe I'm thinking this because I've had a bad month compared to most others. But I cannot for the life of me see how such contributors (the producers who bring the big buyers here in the first place) will want to bother sticking around should Shutterstock slash commissions to yet another new low.  

1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

This statement makes me hugely depressed. 

I could go one further but instead I'll just say that of my total earnings this month, one SOD makes up more than 50% of the total and without that one sale my February would be crap. In fact, any months sans big SODs are crap these days.

8 hours ago, Bhaven Jani said:

Well, I am relatively new to SS, starting last Sept/Oct, and usually earned $30-50 per month. Now I have ~3000 images, and Feb has been the best month so far with $ 116.

Congrats on building such a large portfolio so fast, you deserve every penny.

1 hour ago, PomInPerth said:

@Steven Tritton  My February is the same as yours, just with a newer smaller port. Perhaps it's Australia, though it wouldn't appear that Feb is historically a crap month. My DLs are high, maybe all the customers came back after Summer hols and took out subscriptions

Yeah I wondered about whether it was an Australian thing too. Though my February 2020 results weren't too bad.

23 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Interesting observation. As the years continue on it seems to be getting worse where new contributors will be thrilled to be even making 5 cents per sale regardless of the 'cut' the company takes. 

This might be my current shocking month on Shutterstock that influences me thinking this, but I'm actually wondering why many more contributors of prolific high quality content have not already unlisensed their port with such crap commissions. 

10 years from now some newbie will excitedly post how he/she had a "big sale" worth $5. 

Many have deactivated or frozen their ports. Most, like myself, just wonder where else to put the images. There's a sunken cost feeling as many hundreds of hours invested on the keywording and uploading / re-uploading that even if it's half or 1/3 of what I earned last year it's better than nothing. 

24 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

10 years from now some newbie will excitedly post how he/she had a "big sale" worth $5. 

Take a look on the FB groups - this is already happening.

Someone posts a sale of $5 and gets about 50 comments from "WOW" to "WELL DONE" to "HOW BIG IS PORT" to "SHOW ME THE PORTFOLIO".

The groups are full of people ecstatic to earn a few dollars literally a month.  These are the people SS want as contributors above all else.

2 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Take a look on the FB groups - this is already happening.

Someone posts a sale of $5 and gets about 50 comments from "WOW" to "WELL DONE" to "HOW BIG IS PORT" to "SHOW ME THE PORTFOLIO".

The groups are full of people ecstatic to earn a few dollars literally a month.  These are the people SS want as contributors above all else.

That's the Facebook culture. Everybody is always happy in Facebook no matter the situation. 

In the other hand I'm definitely not happy. This February I made less than half of what I made last year and 25% of what I used to make 5 years ago. 

I'm, like Alex, looking for other places to sell my images but, with the honorable exception of AS, the whole industry is falling apart. Not that AS is great but at least it hasn't fallen that drastically. 

I

18 minutes ago, Creatus said:

True for me as well but they are not the big seller or new king as some claim here, well maybe for them but not for many others, including myself. I've had my worst month in over a year at AS.

For me, it's a reflection of just how far Shutterstock has fallen rather than the other sites rising. Granted it's only been one month so far, as my graph above shows.

Better but a strange month with an abnormally large number of high value image sales.

Video improved similarly, most sales were tiny but some were bigger than normal. So it looks like all or nothing.  Gone is the steady stream of $20ish video sales.  

Lowest video sale this month.. $0.34.

feb21-total.png.fc406ae343c88c98cc3c274407f8d152.png

Does look like a shift from medium value sales of everything to a majority of low value but a smaller number of high value.  That could make it far more volatile - you get lucky or you dont in a month.

Roughly $200 down on Feb 20. 20% more downloads.

12 hours ago, Foodio said:

For me February started strong and more or less maintained. My numbers are 1001 downloads this Feb vs 846 last Feb. In terms of revenue though only a slight (very slight) increase. The new normal it seems.

Congrats, Foodio. Impressive Numbers! You and Chy are far ahead of me - even though your portfolios are smaller.

30 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

image.thumb.png.73a27efddcfdb9c8345372c9978c3e28.png

Graph off the MSG forum.  I hope everyone is feeling suitably motivated to produce content for SS as they intended with the pay cut!
Dropping below even IS.  Alamy will be passing them next!

(Source www microstockgroup com /index.php?page=PollResults )

I'm waiting for the IS stats to compare with shutterstock. But I guess they will show exactly this development.

6 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Congrats, Foodio. Impressive Numbers! You and Chy are far ahead of me - even though your portfolios are smaller.

Honestly Wilm, I'm baffled by your drop. If I recall correctly we used to be uncannily similar in terms of overall performance. I guess my time is probably coming too.

Hello Foodio,

that may have been the case at one time, but for quite some time you and Chy have been way ahead.

However, you (and Chy) have obviously nothing - or hardly any new images - uploaded, right? Then at least I can't talk myself out of it with the argument that it's because I don't upload new pictures here anymore.

Maybe some of my images are getting on in years. Or there is more competition in my niches - I don't know. Moreover, I know from other contributors that food is not so easy at the moment either. Therefore, I am particularly pleased that you could maintain your good position.

You will soon reach level 5 again (if it is not already so far). I will reach this level much later than you.

Overall, I am not dissatisfied because a few other agencies are still doing well. In my case, the competitor and shutterstock were always close to each other in terms of revenue. The fact that I earned more than two and a half times per month with the competitor in February has never happened.

I'm curious myself how this will develop further.

I read in a forum today that a few quite successful microstockers have quit shutterstock at the end of February. When I see their images, I find the development very frightening. And I still think that shutterstock should question the current course in the medium term. In their own interest.

Have many good sales and stay healthy,

Wilm