Are you uploading new content? In case you are... is that new content selling? 

I have sort of stopped uploading because nothing new sells. 

Perhaps that could be the reason of the drastic fall in earnings in 2021? I'm already at level 4 but earning a lot less than last year. What's your opinion? Is it worth uploading new content? 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's an interesting sentence on the "unlimited" page (https://www.shutterstock.com/de/business/shutterstock-unlimited): "We follow the most rigorous licensing standards in the industry to ensure ar

Well looks like Shutterstock has joined AS and P5 in a collapse of sales so deep and sudden it defies my understanding. At this time of the month in February 2020, I was sitting at $53.70. Moving to s

Got a small boost with a video sale for $8.27 but I don't know how contributors with images alone (exception of those with many thousands or a niche) can do this. Almost every image download is 10 cen

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Thank you, Alexander.

Alamy is a strange stock. Alamy bought photos that I didn't even want to upload. Photo initially with erroneous exposure and then heavily corrected in lightroom.

It just means you got lucky.

The dont examine every photo in a batch.  Usually its 1, simply none.

If that 1 photo is OK the whole batch is approved, if not the whole batch rejected.

They're a "neutral" agency - if a photo is technically OK then it gets in.  They make no guess on market value, even model release and so on.  Thats up to the author.

37 minutes ago, Kamira said:

Perhaps that could be the reason of the drastic fall in earnings in 2021? I'm already at level 4 but earning a lot less than last year. What's your opinion? Is it worth uploading new content? 

I have been uploading a steady trickle of images this year (2/business day) and I find the new images sometimes sell immediately, or within weeks.  So I think new images do sell.  Whether it's worth uploading new content to SS is another question.  Performance this year is abysmal.

1 hour ago, kSergiUs said:

A week ago, I moved to level 4(video). Calculated the loss with the new level system. The difference is ~565$

Thats going to be masked by the move towards more and more subscription sales.

You can only really compare levels with past levels if you assume the customers pay the same average per download but that isnt the case of late, more and more are going subscription.

10 hours ago, Kamira said:

Beautiful port! I sort of stopped uploading in 2018 when I noticed that new work almost never sold. I don't have a big port (<1K images) but my monthly $$ sales have hardly changed in the last 18 months. Occasionally, I get lucky with some modSODs (around $50) which boosts the month but otherwise, it doesn't vary that much. Downloads are usually 160-200/month.

Well, since my subs payment went from 38c to mainly 10c it is no surprise that income from subs is down by about 70% compared to last year.

But I also notice that since Jan 1st Great Reset I have had no sales with a value greater than $4. None. Even at the end of 2020 a few decent sales each month ($20 - $70) went some way to rescuing things.

Have all the customers who paid large sums been redirected to The Swanky Selection (Offset?), leaving the rest of us high and dry?

4 hours ago, Sarah2 said:

Well, since my subs payment went from 38c to mainly 10c it is no surprise that income from subs is down by about 70% compared to last year.

But I also notice that since Jan 1st Great Reset I have had no sales with a value greater than $4. None. Even at the end of 2020 a few decent sales each month ($20 - $70) went some way to rescuing things.

Have all the customers who paid large sums been redirected to The Swanky Selection (Offset?), leaving the rest of us high and dry?

Possibly not. I had a $60 SOD last week which will certainly save this month from being otherwise awful. Pity they didn't wait until next month when I'll probably be promoted to tier #3! 🙂

My February is going pretty well. Looking forward to hopefully reaching level 4 by the end of the month, so I won't have to be so angry over losing money on ODDs and SODs anymore. Much more exciting was what I saw when I logged into Alamy yesterday - I had not checked it for a while as it had seemed in deep hibernation, but for whatever reason, last week one image sold three times for $245. (of which I get to keep around $100 or so each sale) Just hoping this was not a glitch. You never know with Alamy and their strange sales vs cleared balance thing.

3 hours ago, Milo J said:

My February is going pretty well. Looking forward to hopefully reaching level 4 by the end of the month, so I won't have to be so angry over losing money on ODDs and SODs anymore. Much more exciting was what I saw when I logged into Alamy yesterday - I had not checked it for a while as it had seemed in deep hibernation, but for whatever reason, last week one image sold three times for $245. (of which I get to keep around $100 or so each sale) Just hoping this was not a glitch. You never know with Alamy and their strange sales vs cleared balance thing.

Congrats to your success at Alamy, Milo!

3 hours ago, Milo J said:

Well done. 

I just got two sales there for $0.10 each for the first time.  I'm hoping it's the last of what is ostensibly called "novel use".

This week, another of my images passed the 2000 download hurdle. I uploaded it on 06 February 2017. That makes an average of 500 downloads per year.

Now I am happy that we are rewarded for good performance by the introduction of the new revenue structure. The image has had 6 downloads so far today. The reward included a fantastic firework consisting of 2 x $0.10, 2 x $0.13 and 1 x $0.19. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am so happy to have been so princely rewarded. Level 4 is really worth it!

Finally Adobe Stock performed well this week making it feel like it's returned to pre-Christmas levels. Pond 5 has done pretty well this month as well. Both sites were very slow to pick up after Christmas / New Year but glad to see these little stock engines that could will hopefully maintain and increase their performance going forward in 2021. ETA both AS and P5 are in front of SS this month.   

30DLs in SS, at a whopping ave 15c RPD so sub city

2 at Adobe, so no love there either (my port doesnt do well there, aside from a single enhanced sale months ago).

iStock so far leading the month, but also got a few accepted at Arcangel so fingers crossed there.

Yesterday sold a photo to someone on facebook, so an unexpected $40 bonus 🙂

On 09 November 2010 I started with shutterstock with about 100 images. By the end of November 2010 there were a little over 200 images.

Now I compare my first 22 days at shutterstock with my last 22 days in February 2021. The numbers are a disaster.

In November 2010 I was - of course - level 1 contributor. In February 2021 I am level 4 contributor.

In the first 22 days of November 2010 compared to the 22 days in February 2021 I had
70% more downloads and 9% more revenue in US$, even though I was at the lowest level. If I calculate it in Euro, it was even 25.8% more revenue at that time due to the much better exchange rate.

That is the bitter truth. At least here at shutterstock.