• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's an interesting sentence on the "unlimited" page (https://www.shutterstock.com/de/business/shutterstock-unlimited): "We follow the most rigorous licensing standards in the industry to ensure ar

Well looks like Shutterstock has joined AS and P5 in a collapse of sales so deep and sudden it defies my understanding. At this time of the month in February 2020, I was sitting at $53.70. Moving to s

Got a small boost with a video sale for $8.27 but I don't know how contributors with images alone (exception of those with many thousands or a niche) can do this. Almost every image download is 10 cen

Posted Images

Got a small boost with a video sale for $8.27 but I don't know how contributors with images alone (exception of those with many thousands or a niche) can do this. Almost every image download is 10 cents.

I wonder how Shutterstock can continue with this new pricing and subscription model. While our income is indeed negatively impacted by the new contributor commissions, it doesn't explain it all. Customers are now buying up subscription packages and paying far less per download which means less money for contributors but also less money for Shutterstock. It's going to hit their bottom line and SS won't be able to take yet another razor to contributor earnings because any quality contributor in their right mind won't continue to license their content for appalling returns. It's already much worse than what it should be.   

On 2/5/2021 at 6:43 AM, richardernestyap said:

so sad why SS do this to their contributors...it doesn't make sense

It actually makes a lot of sense. We are all making a lot of noise but still giving them our images to sell. Shutterstock is making more profit because we still support them and wont withdraw our portfolios. Simples

3 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

It's going to hit their bottom line and SS won't be able to take yet another razor to contributor earnings because any quality contributor in their right mind won't continue to license their content for appalling returns. It's already much worse than what it should be.   

Exactly, they'll reach a point where they can't cut anymore and cant reduce pricing any more.

I think they're hoping that by undercutting everyone else their market share will go up.  That's a hell of a gamble.  They have clearly separated out their high pricing, higher quality offerings (offset,custom etc) from the SS core which is seems is designed to be a mediocre bargain basement for those without a big budget to buy.

35 minutes ago, Mick Harper said:

It actually makes a lot of sense. We are all making a lot of noise but still giving them our images to sell. Shutterstock is making more profit because we still support them and wont withdraw our portfolios. Simples

Yep! And wait until the Q1 2021 figures come in.......shareholders will love 'em and senior management will make out like bandits.

With everyone going back to Level 1 in January every year, the first 100 images of each contributor's port make SS 85% commission in place of what could be 60% in the top tier. Even those megasellers that were in Level 6 before Jan 1st (40% commission) will lose out on their first 25,000 sales this and every year....and everything contributors lose goes straight into the bottom line of SS profitability/stock price/options packages and bonuses.

I'm at Level 4 now. I was at level 5 before January. There's only a 5% difference between level 4 and 5. However my February earnings are a complete disaster. January was a disaster too but you could think that could be because of the reset. Not anymore at level 4

Has anything else changed this year (Other than the January reset)? 

I was feeling down this afternoon seeing mere cents continuing to dribble in on SS (and AS for that matter) then just moments ago checked my email to see two video sales on P5, the third video sale this month. So things are picking up again on P5 and they pay far better commissions, which translates to better prices for customers and better share of the pie for the contributor.      

5 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

I stopped downloading shutterstock and sales have dropped dramatically for two months now. I don't know if it's right or not, but I'm trying to upload a portfolio to Alami, but there is such a stupid attribution system to get green status and it's slow.

Don’t worry about their green status, it just encourages spamming 

8 hours ago, Kamira said:

I'm at Level 4 now. I was at level 5 before January. There's only a 5% difference between level 4 and 5. However my February earnings are a complete disaster. January was a disaster too but you could think that could be because of the reset. Not anymore at level 4

Has anything else changed this year (Other than the January reset)? 

What has changed for me is that I'm not getting ODDs and SODs that I was getting in 2020. I'm getting the downloads but they are all subs and that is hitting revenue.