1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

More good news on its way:

'We are not stopping here and have plans to aggressively innovate in 2021, both in terms of new subscription product rollouts and innovations in our product roadmap'.

Ooh, we got thanked:

'All right. Thank you. I'd like to once again convey my gratitude to and appreciation for Shutterstock's employees, customers, and contributors for their support and engagement'.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/02/11/shutterstock-inc-sstk-q4-2020-earnings-call-transc/

hahaha once again thanks for the laughter ...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's an interesting sentence on the "unlimited" page (https://www.shutterstock.com/de/business/shutterstock-unlimited): "We follow the most rigorous licensing standards in the industry to ensure ar

Well looks like Shutterstock has joined AS and P5 in a collapse of sales so deep and sudden it defies my understanding. At this time of the month in February 2020, I was sitting at $53.70. Moving to s

Got a small boost with a video sale for $8.27 but I don't know how contributors with images alone (exception of those with many thousands or a niche) can do this. Almost every image download is 10 cen

Posted Images

Just now, Milo J said:

February is starting to look pretty decent. SS has by now bypassed AS, like it does pretty much every month. (Lots of editorial in my port). P5 has been pretty dead for me lately.

For me, SS downloads in February are pretty good. Revenue is not. Usually I get a few ODDs and SOD which makes the revenue acceptable. Right now, I'm getting nearly all $0.10 subs.

AS, even adjusted to compensate for a smaller portfolio, has almost never matched SS for volume or revenue. 

6 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Everyone is doing surveys. I even got one from the bank after using their ATM. They are a royal pain in the bum.

Seems that you can't buy a single product or use any service online these days without being asked to take part in some customer satisfaction survey. If it was OK I just give 'em straight 10's and if it was crap I give 'em 1's!

I suppose it really makes you want to reconsider being a consumer of anything! No wonder some go 'Off-Grid'.

I am curious, do those of you at level 4 get some better paid subscriptions this year?

Last year, I landed in level 4 after the change and there were many better paid subscriptions as well.

I know that we will always have 10c downloads at any level but for now, all of them are 10c, except a few 11c - 14c. My RPD in February is $0.17 (for image), that is terrible.

52 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

I am curious, do those of you at level 4 get some better paid subscriptions this year?

Last year, I landed in level 4 after the change and there were many better paid subscriptions as well.

I know that we will always have 10c downloads at any level but for now, all of them are 10c, except a few 11c - 14c. My RPD in February is $0.17 (for image), that is terrible.

Last year, after the change, it was ODDs and SODs that kept my RPD strong. So far this year, I'm simply not getting those higher value sales. It seems to be all subs all the time. 

26 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

Last year, after the change, it was ODDs and SODs that kept my RPD strong. So far this year, I'm simply not getting those higher value sales. It seems to be all subs all the time. 

Same for me, three small SOD-s and one small ODD all month. Also a video download but too small to change anything, don't think it will get any better.

6 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

Last 100 Level-4 subscriptions:

0,10 - 36

0,11 - 6

0,12 - 10

0,13 - 7

0,14 - 14

0,15 - 1

0,16 - 4

0,17 - 3

0,18 - 1

0,19 - 1

0,20 - 2

-------------------------------------------------------

85% subscriptions for less than 0,20

0,21 - 1

0,34 - 1

0,59 - 1

0,67 - 3

0,68 - 1

0,75 - 1

0,87 - 4

0,91 - 2

1,07 - 1

Charles,

I'm not at level 4 yet but I was last year before the change in pmt. was announced.  Like you, the number of ODDs and Large SODs I have received since the first of the year has gone down significantly.  My RPD for Jan 2021 was .29 and so far Feb's is .48 on my image portfolio.    

After the reduction in contributor pay outs, I discontinued uploading to SS but toward the end of the year started to upload again given my RPD for the last six months of 2020 was well over 1.20.  I assumed that the large payouts would continue but for the most part that hasn't happened in 2021.  I'm beginning to question my decision to continuing to up load here.

I don't plan on making any rash decisions nor will I propose any conspiracy theories but it looks like something new is reducing the number of large payouts.  

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Last 100 Level-4 subscriptions:

0,10 - 36

0,11 - 6

0,12 - 10

0,13 - 7

0,14 - 14

0,15 - 1

0,16 - 4

0,17 - 3

0,18 - 1

0,19 - 1

0,20 - 2

85% subscriptions for less than 0,20

0,21 - 1

0,34 - 1

0,59 - 1

0,67 - 3

0,68 - 1

0,75 - 1

0,87 - 4

0,91 - 2

1,07 - 1

Thank you Wilm for the detailed list.

As I remember, you also were level 4 last year at the time of the change. May I ask if you still get as many ODD-s, SOD-s as last year, I mean, similar earnings?

This year my earnings dropped terribly but also the number of sales.

I am only level 3 this year and I haven't uploaded anything since 6-7 month but that couldn't produce such a sudden drop.

55 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Thank you Wilm for the detailed list.

As I remember, you also were level 4 last year at the time of the change. May I ask if you still get as many ODD-s, SOD-s as last year, I mean, similar earnings?

This year my earnings dropped terribly but also the number of sales.

I am only level 3 this year and I haven't uploaded anything since 6-7 month but that couldn't produce such a sudden drop.

Hello Whiteaster,

When the new revenue structure came in, I was still on level 4 for a short time. I can't see the stats here in such detail, so I can't give an informed answer tonight.

Ad hoc, I can confirm that the revenue situation at shutterstock has also been catastrophic for me since the beginning of the year. I have already posted a few graphical diagrams that prove this.

In my case, I have not sold a single enhanced licence in 2021. As for SODs, I had 17, but they didn't generate any significant revenue. The ODs were probably within the normal range. But by the time I got through the levels, of course, they've only been increasing successively recently.

The day before yesterday I had my first "normal" day - by earlier standards - with 7 ODs and acceptable income.

In summary - and this is probably what you are interested in - November, December, January and February have been miserable for Shutterstock so far. From "fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential" there is no sign of this at all - on the contrary. It is - at least here at Shutterstock - an absolute nightmare!

However, I also have to say that things were already getting worse for me here compared to the better times a few years ago. I uploaded very little even before the introduction of the new revenue structure - and since then I've been in a boykott mode. My portfolio has shrunk since May 2020 - that doesn't make it any better, of course.

My downloads and earnings for the past week (indeed since beginning February really) on SS are so hideously low that I'm embarrassed to share either of these. Not one video download this month either. Fortunately P5 had a video download yesterday earning a commission of $18.92 and while not great, at least it is a start for the year and this sale alone beats AS and SS combined for February to date. As far as image sales on SS are concerned, what a disaster this has become. Video is definitely not the only asset suffering an earnings blow on here anymore. I think the move to a subscription model will mean much lower earnings per download going forward.  

So far for me it's not a complete disaster. I reached level 4 January 20. I had 4% fewer downloads in January 2021 compared to January 2020 but overall revenue was down by 31%. The quick math shows me that as expected the majority of that decline was in subscription sales with the diminished return from SOD, OD and Enhanced offset somewhat by better video performance this year than last. This month (so far) I am on track to equal or better last February both in terms of downloads and revenue even though I was level 5 before the change. Go figure.

I will also add that I have never been a power uploader. The size of my port speaks to that. Slow and steady has always been my approach for what I believe to be good reason so I can't comment on whether or not feeding the beast really plays a role or not.

PS @Wilm Ihlenfeld you were level 5 were you not?

13 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hello Whiteaster,

When the new revenue structure came in, I was still on level 4 for a short time. I can't see the stats here in such detail, so I can't give an informed answer tonight.

Ad hoc, I can confirm that the revenue situation at shutterstock has also been catastrophic for me since the beginning of the year. I have already posted a few graphical diagrams that prove this.

In my case, I have not sold a single enhanced licence in 2021. As for SODs, I had 17, but they didn't generate any significant revenue. The ODs were probably within the normal range. But by the time I got through the levels, of course, they've only been increasing successively recently.

The day before yesterday I had my first "normal" day - by earlier standards - with 7 ODs and acceptable income.

In summary - and this is probably what you are interested in - November, December, January and February have been miserable for Shutterstock so far. From "fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential" there is no sign of this at all - on the contrary. It is - at least here at Shutterstock - an absolute nightmare!

However, I also have to say that things were already getting worse for me here compared to the better times a few years ago. I uploaded very little even before the introduction of the new revenue structure - and since then I've been in a boykott mode. My portfolio has shrunk since May 2020 - that doesn't make it any better, of course.

Thank you Wilm.

I am just trying to understand the drastic change in earnings starting January, this year.

December 2020 was my second best month of the year, then January 2021fell down to 25% of December. Now, February is even worse.

Thank you all for your insight.

11 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Thank you Wilm.

I am just trying to understand the drastic change in earnings starting January, this year.

December 2020 was my second best month of the year, then January 2021fell down to 25% of December. Now, February is even worse.

Thank you all for your insight.

You're welcome, Whitaster! 

12 hours ago, Foodio said:

So far for me it's not a complete disaster. I reached level 4 January 20. I had 4% fewer downloads in January 2021 compared to January 2020 but overall revenue was down by 31%. The quick math shows me that as expected the majority of that decline was in subscription sales with the diminished return from SOD, OD and Enhanced offset somewhat by better video performance this year than last. This month (so far) I am on track to equal or better last February both in terms of downloads and revenue even though I was level 5 before the change. Go figure.

I will also add that I have never been a power uploader. The size of my port speaks to that. Slow and steady has always been my approach for what I believe to be good reason so I can't comment on whether or not feeding the beast really plays a role or not.

PS @Wilm Ihlenfeld you were level 5 were you not?

Foodio,

I was at the highest level since 2012. But back then there were only 4 levels, right? So I'm actually at the same level now as I was when one got 30% for an SOD.
After the new levels, I was in the second half of 2020 level 5, where you got 35% for a SOD.
Or am I confusing something now?

Under the "old" system > $10k had you on the highest level and everyone got 30% for video.

I was on that since about 2013 i think.

Last year all $>10k got put down to Level 5 images and video got knocked down for most people to level 3 with some on 4.

The biggest change though was those $0.38c downloads all became $0.10 downloads.  So it wasnt the level change as such, it was the switch to a percentage based system for images.

For video it was the massive push to subscription absolutely destroying the commissions.  The loss of 5-10% in no way accounts for the 75%+ declines seen.

Im now on L4/2, image earnings are kind of where they were before, video is still down 75%+.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:14 PM, Milo J said:

February is starting to look pretty decent. SS has by now bypassed AS, like it does pretty much every month. (Lots of editorial in my port). P5 has been pretty dead for me lately.

Interesting.  For me SS is tanking, especially since this year.  I'm only going to hit level 4 again next month.  Income at AS is consistently twice what I get here.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Foodio,

I was at the highest level since 2012. But back then there were only 4 levels, right? So I'm actually at the same level now as I was when one got 30% for an SOD.
After the new levels, I was in the second half of 2020 level 5, where you got 35% for a SOD.
Or am I confusing something now?

No, I think it's me that's confusing things. I'm thinking of it in terms of percentages and not levels. I can't keep track anymore.