1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

That's not much when I look at your photos and videos. They look good.
It strikes me that the people who have been on Shutterstock for a long time, but don't have large port, are selling more. I think that is also because the photos have been high in the ranking for a long time.
I have not looked at your keywords. They are very important. Often difficult for us non-English speakers.

I looked up Krasnoyarsk on the Internet. The surroundings are beautiful.

Thanks for the support!
I very often go to the surroundings, literally just arrived from another hike, which happens to me several times a week. Perhaps this is why, with a modest income, my interest in photography remains, because it adds interest in hiking and tourism.
I see you like nature, more than I am sure that in Siberia you can fall in love with it with renewed vigor. These are exciting adventures at any time of the year. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a topic about the earnings in small ports. I can't find it, so I open a new topic.  I have put all the earnings from last year in a schedule, so that I can better compare and see what c

Thanks for the support! I very often go to the surroundings, literally just arrived from another hike, which happens to me several times a week. Perhaps this is why, with a modest income, my interes

Hi, Tim  (not related to the subject) You have a nice portfolio Advice, I looked at your portfolio and I saw that some photos are too dark. You should make the photos a little more visible

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Tim photo-video said:

Thanks for the support!
I very often go to the surroundings, literally just arrived from another hike, which happens to me several times a week. Perhaps this is why, with a modest income, my interest in photography remains, because it adds interest in hiking and tourism.
I see you like nature, more than I am sure that in Siberia you can fall in love with it with renewed vigor. These are exciting adventures at any time of the year. 

Yes I like nature. In the Netherlands I live near the dunes, forest, sea and meadows. Unfortunately no mountains.
The corona keeps us close to home. We have never been to Russia. We did not go further than the Czech Republic and Hungary towards Russia.
We do have a small piece of Russia in our village. A Russian monument

Thanks to a week of winter with a few sunny days, crocuses, snowdrops, bumblebees and bees and a short car ride, because it had been inside for another month ... from 1400 to 1500 photos.
From the hundred only one photo has been sold so far. That's a bit of a shame.   :) https://www.shutterstock.com/nl/g/Thijs+de+Graaf

25 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Thanks to a week of winter with a few sunny days, crocuses, snowdrops, bumblebees and bees and a short car ride, because it had been inside for another month ... from 1400 to 1500 photos.
From the hundred only one photo has been sold so far. That's a bit of a shame.   :) https://www.shutterstock.com/nl/g/Thijs+de+Graaf

Lovely bees.  I went to a Garden Centre (shop) the other day.  They are open in the UK because apparently they are 'essential'.  There was a display of pots of heather for sale and it was smothered in bees.  I never knew bees like heather so much.  Sadly, no camera with me apart from the phone so I didn't bother.

No sales at all so far this month, which is disappointing.  My last 2 sales were of the same queen Red Tailed Bumblebee which I see you got too recently 🙂 Love bees 🐝

27 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Lovely bees.  I went to a Garden Centre (shop) the other day.  They are open in the UK because apparently they are 'essential'.  There was a display of pots of heather for sale and it was smothered in bees.  I never knew bees like heather so much.  Sadly, no camera with me apart from the phone so I didn't bother.

No sales at all so far this month, which is disappointing.  My last 2 sales were of the same queen Red Tailed Bumblebee which I see you got too recently 🙂 Love bees 🐝

Yes I know, I have had winter heather in the front yard for years. But those bumblebees are always on the move or the heather bends, so that they disappear between the heather. So I don't try that anymore. It is fun to watch.
Disappointed indeed. Yesterday nothing. But today: Three times ten cents and ... 1.08  My dad's old, rusty hand drills. He would have liked that. Sold for the first time (in Italy). www.shutterstock.com/nl/image-photo/vintage-

One of the 10 cents was for these heather  (in Dubkin). My best selling photo (Picked last year from the garden and photographed above the lawn) . 

20 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

The photos (on Shutter) of the bumblebees on the crocuses have been refused on Adobe today. I have never tried it a second time there. But another proof that macros are often rejected there too.
Today a sale on Alamy of a photo of a rose for 6.72 I had not yet passed Paypal on Alamy and couldn't find out how. I have asked in the forum. The second time I get there. I was helped very quickly and pleasantly by Forum regulars. A totally different atmosphere there than here. ( alamy.com/topic/14120 )

33 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I was helped very quickly and pleasantly by Forum regulars. A totally different atmosphere there than here. ( alamy.com/topic/14120 )

During the almost 2 years I have been on this forum I have received masses of help and advice.

Sadly though, through the payment changes, some of the most helpful contributors have stopped posting (or been banned) and also there is a general atmosphere of sadness/inertia that the changes have caused.

I'm sure you see the difference yourself.  It's such a waste of a very useful forum that was full of expertise to be passed on to less experienced members. 

8 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

During the almost 2 years I have been on this forum I have received masses of help and advice.

Sadly though, through the payment changes, some of the most helpful contributors have stopped posting and also there is a general atmosphere of sadness/inertia that the changes have caused.

I'm sure you see the difference yourself.  It's such a waste of a very useful forum that was full of expertise to be passed on to less experienced members. 

Yes. I also thought about our forum when I first joined it.
There will be a lot of people there who don't sell very much, but I have a feeling that you will be treated fairly there.
No administrators, who don't say anything back, explain nothing.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:17 PM, Thijs de Graaf said:

Yes. 

Congratulations!

Your achievement of level 2 convinces me that it is better to make a thematic portfolio, like yours.
I would have done so, but for example, I have a lot of interests and go to various places. Therefore, sticking to one topic is very limiting myself in my case.
I initially started loading archives, but now my archives have grown even more. The problem is in the processing and description of the content.

But when I load different topics, it turns out this is my life cast. A lot of where I go and what I see is recorded there. It turns out a personal archive.

20 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

I hope to reach level 2 in photography in March too. Perhaps then there will be more varied sales at a price (not just 10 cents)

Hi, Tim  (not related to the subject)

You have a nice portfolio

Advice,
I looked at your portfolio and I saw that some photos are too dark. You should make the photos a little more visible.
Note: Eye is very important, especially in portraits

dd.jpg

17 minutes ago, muratart said:

Hi, Tim  (not related to the subject)

You have a nice portfolio

Advice,
I looked at your portfolio and I saw that some photos are too dark. You should make the photos a little more visible.
Note: Eye is very important, especially in portraits

Thank!
Yes, I also noticed that they were a bit dark. I have not mastered all the functions of Photoshop yet.
I notice that I am afraid to strongly change (highlight) so that there are no artifacts and not lose shades. Although purely visually light photographs are more interesting, especially for those who use them as they are.

5 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

Congratulations!

Your achievement of level 2 convinces me that it is better to make a thematic portfolio, like yours.
I would have done so, but for example, I have a lot of interests and go to various places. Therefore, sticking to one topic is very limiting myself in my case.
I initially started loading archives, but now my archives have grown even more. The problem is in the processing and description of the content.

But when I load different topics, it turns out this is my life cast. A lot of where I go and what I see is recorded there. It turns out a personal archive.

Indeed, I mainly photograph insects, nature. I hope that customers will come back to me for that. But it is not a topic that sells great. That is why I also photograph other subjects. Because of the corona especially in my area, but that is because of the circumstances.
No portraits. My wife, children and grandchildren refuse to pose. 😉

5 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

I notice that I am afraid to strongly change (highlight) so that there are no artifacts and not lose shades. 

Hi Tim,

I feel that I have the same issue as you concerning some of my images that are too dark.

Now I try to add 2/3 stop or 1 stop when I shot (Matrix metering) or go for the spot metering that seems better for portrait. I have the feeling that it makes the editing easier... But i'm not a pro so I might be wrong...

I have added the earnings in March to the schedule on the first page.

Just like February, the beginning of the month was much better than the second half.

Up to 15-3: 27 photos 11.81 (4.19 - 5.90 - 0.72)

End of month 54 photos: 16.22

So the second part of the month has only added 4.41. Most photos for 0.10. For the first time sold over 50 photos. I now have about 1590 photos.

Of course, the amount is still nothing compared to the work. Not even if I assume that the earnings per photo will increase over the years.

I do not buy equipment specifically for stock photos. So our good old @geogif would say, A cheap hobby. Think of it as a game.

I also photograph the insects, which I don't often photograph anymore, because they are already on my website. That's why I photographed an Andrena nitida. Family Mining Bees (Andrenidae). On celandine. However, it moved too much to be sharp enough for Shutterstock. But when I looked at the photo I saw that it had endoparasites Stylops melittae on the abdomen between its tergites. Very interesting insects. I had been looking for that for a while. So no photo for Shutterstock, but a detailed photo for my website. For interested people 🙂  :  Report halfway down my bee page.  I was completely happy. The bee is less happy, I think, because it does suffer from it. 

ficaria verna-andrena nitida 2 29-3-2021.JPG

ficaria verna-andrena nitida 1 stylops 29-3-2021 29-3-2021.jpg

14 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

:  Report halfway down my bee page.  I was completely happy. The bee is less happy, I think, because it does suffer from it.

Have you thought of monetizing your website? You have a pretty cool niche and you know your bees. So I think you may have a chance of making a lot more money through your site than stock photography.

46 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Have you thought of monetizing your website? You have a pretty cool niche and you know your bees. So I think you may have a chance of making a lot more money through your site than stock photography.

I know of an insect site that advertises via google, but that had put insect control websites on the insect page. I do not feel like it.
Until a few years ago, I got questions for advertising for a year. At the time, I had a modest profit. (One time an offer for several hundred dollars from a gambling site, but my wife was against that 😁. I was still teaching in the classroom at the time. It was also impossible to explain to the children)
In recent years I have had less and less demand for advertising. Often only to exchange a link. I think it's because of the rise of sites like Facebook, blogs, etc.
It is a very old website made with Frontpage. To my surprise, it still works. Even on the phone.
To make money from advertising, I should first make my website more known on Facebook, Instragram, so that it attracts more visitors, making it more attractive to advertisers. And I have to modernize it. I don't feel like it at all.

Until recently, I only did free work. For example, I wrote about bugs like plant bugs and aphids for Wikipedia and Observation (if you click on a name of a plant bug you get my Dutch description). But I stopped doing that. Now I work for money 😉

28 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

To make money from advertising, I should first make my website more known on Facebook, Instragram, so that it attracts more visitors, making it more attractive to advertisers. And I have to modernize it. I don't feel like it at all.

Actually you don't need to do any work on facebook or instagram. In fact, it's better if you don't. Because organic traffic gets you more income.

All you need to do is work on the site design and make it more, well, navigable. And then apply for adsense or ezoic and you're set. It's probably a week's work but you can get steady income for a lifetime. I'm pretty sure you get decent traffic. But yeah, you won't have a lot of control on what's being advertised. If adsense puts in a pest control ad and you don't like it, you can't do an awful lot about it. But you'll definitely be making a lot more money off your site than what you're currently making on stock.

23 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Actually you don't need to do any work on facebook or instagram. In fact, it's better if you don't. Because organic traffic gets you more income.

All you need to do is work on the site design and make it more, well, navigable. And then apply for adsense or ezoic and you're set. It's probably a week's work but you can get steady income for a lifetime. I'm pretty sure you get decent traffic. But yeah, you won't have a lot of control on what's being advertised. If adsense puts in a pest control ad and you don't like it, you can't do an awful lot about it. But you'll definitely be making a lot more money off your site than what you're currently making on stock.

I have not studied advertising there for a long time.
I was always offered to link to a site, sometimes for a one-time fee. After a year, the link could be removed again.
Also with a monthly fee until canceled.
Via Google, the payout went to the number of times a visitor had gone to the site via the link. Then you must have a lot of visitors. For that you need fame and your site must rank high in Google, because then it is easier to find.
The ranking is partly due to awareness on Facebook, Instagram and other sites ranked high by Google.
Almost every week I get an offer from a company to modernize my website and get it high in the ranking (not free, often I don't trust it).
And from companies, who ask for a link on my site, after which they will put a link to my site on some blog. So that we get higher in the ranking.
To put my Frontpage website on a different program is an enormous job. It is already 200 pages and a few thousand photos.

I will not start on that. I now have regular visitors. Often garden enthusiast, insect enthusiast. In the summer I answer emails from people who have questions about insects or plants (again for free :-)  )