9 minutes ago, Robin Bouwmeester said:

@Thijs de Graafdo you mind share you're highest earning image and your most downloaded one?

I will look. I like your photos and I see you have also videos.   https://www.shutterstock.com/nl/video/clip-1056445490-mating-red-longhorn-beetles-on-white-flower These beetles aren't longhorn beetles but Common red soldier beetles (Rhagonycha fulva). Family Soldier beetles (Cantharidae). Maybe you get more buyers with the right name. You can find them on my site: http://www.tuin-thijs.com/keversengels.htm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a topic about the earnings in small ports. I can't find it, so I open a new topic.  I have put all the earnings from last year in a schedule, so that I can better compare and see what c

Thanks for the support! I very often go to the surroundings, literally just arrived from another hike, which happens to me several times a week. Perhaps this is why, with a modest income, my interes

The schedule expanded with June. June 2020 Level 2: 38 sold for $17.53 June 2021 Level 3: 41 sold for $7.88. Fortunately on the last day the first od for $1.81. I now have about twice as many p

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Robin Bouwmeester said:

@Thijs de Graafdo you mind share you're highest earning image and your most downloaded one?

My heather is the best selling, although it is not much. The funny thing is that I have about the same photo with white heather and it has never been sold.
My rain barrel from our garden is regularly sold, but never for a reasonable price.
They are photos that are also sold outside the Netherlands. I have quite a few photos, which are only sold in the Netherlands.

shutter regenton (2).jpg

shutter heide (3).jpg

I just went through my 'Top Performers' list and I'm sure there are more keywords on there for the downloads than there used to be.  I found some interesting facts:

1.  Several of my downloads have been found via the Latin + 'proper' names for insects, flowers etc so that proves how important it is to include those.

2. On some of my macro flowers I've used the 'proper' name for the reproductive parts but I didn't think they would be used in searches.  However, 'ovary' has been used.

3.  You can take time to identify a 'Gypsy Vanner' horse (with a lot of help from @Sari ONeal) only to find that 'hairy horse' is the search term people have used 🙂

4.  I have 2 Amalfi Coast photos in my porfolio that have 'Stone Pine' trees in.  It has surprised me to find that the main search terms used (and the only one on one of the photos) is 'Stone Pine'.  I hadn't felt that the trees were the main subject of the photos so, it's important to identify any trees etc in your images if possible to add to the keywords.

5. 'Monochrome' is used as a search term, so include that on any 'black and white' images.

6.  I have a photo of a butterfly and I thought the butterfly was the main subject.  However, I also identified the plant it is on.  Now I find that the downloads have been for the plant, not the butterfly.

I always use the scientific name. English-speaking people sometimes forget that there are other languages in the world. A Polish, Russian, Chinese customer is more likely to use the scientific name. especially if it also happens to be a biologist. Of course I also look for the English name, but that is more difficult for me as a Dutchman than the scientific one. 😏

9 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Can't make it a career when I'm only earning $500 a month on average but I did try! :D 

Right now it's just travel money (when I'll be able to again) and to buy/upgrade gear guilt-free. 

I love it Alex...guilt-free buying of gear!! I always have to have the feeling I can justify it to the missus! This lens was paid for by SS and AS! Silly really as I've just earned $5K with a commission but still....! Because I've submitted almost nothing in the past 2 years I have a mountain of images sitting on hard drives doing nothing and I'm getting close to submitting again....just not , in the first instance, to SS. But that's a difficult choice too........minimum sale  at AS is ~$0.40 and I get many for $1.00 but the volume isn't there. So, whilst I don't need to sit behind the screen swearing at all the SS 10cents at AS, sometimes here you get a SOD or two that makes it all worth while.

38 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

How about to shoot some video? Suggestion. Idea. ;)

I've thought about it, but I don't like doing it and I'm afraid I'm not good at it either. I like taking pictures and updating (not before with rolls of film  🙂 )

8 hours ago, PomInPerth said:

My small port (545) has a similar number of downloads this month (35) but my RPD has crashed to a low of 15c. all subs

Alamy is also similar result, joined last May, 3 DLS for a total return of $56

Here's hoping March is a better month

Nice port. Love Australia. Next month better I hope.

16 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Until now, Alamy has never refused my photos. I started there in July and sold three photos 5, -, 5, - and 50, - so you have to be very patient 😁.

Wow!! This morning two days later the same photo again on Alamy. Now for 17, 38  Love Alamy! Shutterstock nothing, but who cares. 😃

alamy.jpg

9 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Wow!! This morning two days later the same photo again on Alamy. Now for 17, 38  Love Alamy! Shutterstock nothing, but who cares. 😃

alamy.jpg

You have just illustrated very well the potential benefits of moving on from Sstock 🙂 I sold my queen red tailed bumblebee again 10 minutes after the 1st to the same city but ... yep ... both for 10 cents... congratulations 🙂

11 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

You have just illustrated very well the potential benefits of moving on from Sstock 🙂 I sold my queen red tailed bumblebee again 10 minutes after the 1st to the same city but ... yep ... both for 10 cents... congratulations 🙂

Thanks Debbie. It does make me think that this photo was not on SS due to disapproval (only on Alamy and Adobe). Would it also have been sold on Alamy if it had been on SS?  Or would they have bought it there for 10 cents?

48 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I've thought about it, but I don't like doing it and I'm afraid I'm not good at it either. I like taking pictures and updating (not before with rolls of film  🙂 )

Nice port. Love Australia. Next month better I hope.

I see and understand. I hope you will have better sales soon. I'd get, perhaps a few payments in 10 years on SS, having only photos. ;) Having videos, payments are monthly!

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Primus1 said:

I see and understand. I hope you will have better sales soon. I'd get, perhaps a few payments in 10 years on SS, having only photos. ;) Having videos, payments are monthly!

Good luck!

Thanks. I know videos sell better. I've listen oft to the explanations of Doug. 😉

2 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Thanks Debbie. It does make me think that this photo was not on SS due to disapproval (only on Alamy and Adobe). Would it also have been sold on Alamy if it had been on SS?  Or would they have bought it there for 10 cents?

I have been wondering the same thing....I sold 4 photos over December/January for approx $150.00, all four had been declined on this site but accepted at Alamy (and exclusive)  and sold fairly quickly.  I have also seen searches on Alamy that have never sold there, but sold here for a few dollars....does make me wonder as well

10 hours ago, Roxane 134 said:

I have been wondering the same thing....I sold 4 photos over December/January for approx $150.00, all four had been declined on this site but accepted at Alamy (and exclusive)  and sold fairly quickly.  I have also seen searches on Alamy that have never sold there, but sold here for a few dollars....does make me wonder as well

6 hours ago, Marcel Rommens said:

Alamy is a complete disaster for me, my last sale was one year ago.

But when i upload photo's to other  sites, it is easy to upload them also to Alamy.

My guess, you have to be lucky to have sales there

Difficult.
On the one hand, you see people on the Alamy forum who sell well. On the other hand, you often hear on Shutterstock that they don't sell anything there.
I also keep uploading to the different stock sites. Hoping it was no exception.

41 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I added the earnings in February to the schedule.
From Feb 13 only sales of 0.10. 
40 sales: 13.73 The month started well, but after that it was nothing.

This is all a great result. At least I compare it with my portfolio. I have much more photos and videos, and much less sales than yours.

20 minutes ago, Tim photo-video said:

This is all a great result. At least I compare it with my portfolio. I have much more photos and videos, and much less sales than yours.

That's not much when I look at your photos and videos. They look good.
It strikes me that the people who have been on Shutterstock for a long time, but don't have large port, are selling more. I think that is also because the photos have been high in the ranking for a long time.
I have not looked at your keywords. They are very important. Often difficult for us non-English speakers.

I looked up Krasnoyarsk on the Internet. The surroundings are beautiful.