There was a topic about the earnings in small ports. I can't find it, so I open a new topic. 

I have put all the earnings from last year in a schedule, so that I can better compare and see what consequences the measures of June have had for me. Maybe interesting for others.
For the big earners, this is nothing and it is of no use to them (frustrating / inspiring to see their sales numbers). 
Started in September 2019. From January approximately (varying) 40 to 100 photos per month. June, July, August no uploads in protest. Now about 1400 photos. 

Conclusions own photos (no videos):

• Until June the number of sales increased in relation to the uploads, after that it leveled off, it remains about the same (I don't know if corona plays a role in this). Sell mainly in the Netherlands and Europe. July and August were a low point.
  • For a small port like mine, the average yield per photo depends a bit more on the number of od and so than on the difference 0.25 or 0.10.
  • od and so now determine the earnings. If that also becomes less than it is now in the low levels, I better stop.
  • Not uploading in protest did not work. There are far too many people who keep uploading, who cannot be united. Maybe Shutterstock will become a little more careful with new measures due to bad advertising, but I don't believe that.

I suspect:

• For ports, which are back in level 5 very soon, the difference will be less.
  • The biggest pain will be with people who have been members of Shutterstock for years and therefore were high, even though they didn't sell very much. They will not return soon in, for example, level 4.

Intention.

• In addition to Shutterstock, I will continue to upload to Alamy and Adobe Stock. Hopefully they will one day get bigger, more profitable than Shutterstock. You never know. At least not with me now.
  • On vacation (if Corona ever disappears) I will pay more attention to topics suitable for stock sites.
  • The fun in photography has returned. As long as I have that, I will continue. The affinity with Shutterstock is gone just as the affinity of Shutterstock is gone for us. It remains frustrating that it is more difficult for Stocksites like Alamy to compete (as long as we stay on Shuttestock), because the photos are sold / given away so cheaply.

** I added the earnings in February to the schedule.

** added the earnings in March to the schedule

** added the earnings in April to the schedule

** added the earnings in May to the schedule

shut may.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a topic about the earnings in small ports. I can't find it, so I open a new topic.  I have put all the earnings from last year in a schedule, so that I can better compare and see what c

Thanks for the support! I very often go to the surroundings, literally just arrived from another hike, which happens to me several times a week. Perhaps this is why, with a modest income, my interes

I just went through my 'Top Performers' list and I'm sure there are more keywords on there for the downloads than there used to be.  I found some interesting facts: 1.  Several of my downloads ha

Posted Images

Thank you @Thijs de Graaf For me, it's not worth doing unless the on demands return in number as generally my download numbers are low.  They did return the last 2 months after a long (presumably Coronavirus related) break.

Glad about this 'The fun in photography has returned'.

We seem to be in perpetual lockdown in England, so outdoor photography is very limited.  Also, without uploading to S'stock, the purpose has diminished considerably.

I find that the purpose ebbs and flows.  With regard to Arcangel, I'm much more likely to have photos accepted that were done in my indoor mini studio (set up) than outdoors.  Outdoors is the most fun though, so that's a shame.

Good luck.  Hope it's onwards and upwards for you.   Once the virus is under control and vulnerable people are vaccinated, more photo opportunities will return 🙂

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

Thank you @Thijs de Graaf For me, it's not worth doing unless the on demands return in number as generally my download numbers are low.  They did return the last 2 months after a long (presumably Coronavirus related) break.

Glad about this 'The fun in photography has returned'.

We seem to be in perpetual lockdown in England, so outdoor photography is very limited.  Also, without uploading to S'stock, the purpose has diminished considerably.

I find that the purpose ebbs and flows.  With regard to Arcangel, I'm much more likely to have photos accepted that were done in my indoor mini studio (set up) than outdoors.  Outdoors is the most fun though, so that's a shame.

Good luck.  Hope it's onwards and upwards for you.   Once the virus is under control and vulnerable people are vaccinated, more photo opportunities will return 🙂

Thanks Debby.
With us, the room to move is also limited. No more than one visitor is allowed, a curfew. The unnecessary shops are closed, schools closed. I'm glad I'm no longer a teacher.
It was my wife's birthday and many bouquets were delivered instead of presents from visitors. I have photographed a few for Shutter, but there are already thousands of them.
Yesterday was actually a sunny day. So I cycled around with my camera and took some pictures. As if I have gradually photographed everything in the area.

I looked at your new pictures of the dolls. I have a few pictures of old dolls, teddy bears of our children, but they have never been sold.

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I looked at your new pictures of the dolls. I have a few pictures of old dolls, teddy bears of our children, but they have never been sold.

I don't sell that many really (albeit they are a top selling group).  There's not a big market for creepy dolls.  The large one eats me out of house + home so I think I'll have to send her out to work.

Just worked out my RPD for 2020 which is 52 cents.

40 minutes ago, James R Poston said:

Wow, young lady. Those are a little creepy. Reminds me of the Ghost Hunters episode on the Island of Dolls in Mexico. Might have to take a sleeping pill tonight. 😁

It is quite hard to sleep here sometimes.  They live in the loft and I can hear them playing at night.  Most unsettling.

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering starting to upload again to Sstock but for interest only, not for money.  In fact, that seems to me to be the only way forward now really on Sstock. Money earned has become irrelevant (at least for me) with ODs seeming to be fewer and farther between, and in smaller sums.

I started a couple of years ago categorising the nature photos I take: birds, insects, flowers etc.  This I found enjoyable and I would like a place to put them so at least some other people are seeing/using them. I already have categories on Sstock and could add to those. Otherwise, they just sit on my hard drive.

I wouldn't bother to create images that might sell well but don't interest me.  Those days, for me, are past I think.

@Thijs de Graaf I believe you upload too to Adobe?  Is it easier to get your photos accepted there than on Sstock now?  I read a lot about rejections on Sstock which appear to be AI driven. That obstacle would be too frustrating to try to overcome for such small remuneration.

Also Thijs, if you ever see any insect photos of mine you would like for your website, I'm happy to email them to you for free. I like your site.  It's great for people to be able to identify the little creatures they see. The offer is there as we may not share the same insects 🙂

5 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

I am considering starting to upload again to Sstock but for interest only, not for money.  In fact, that seems to me to be the only way forward now really on Sstock. Money earned has become irrelevant (at least for me) with ODs seeming to be fewer and farther between, and in smaller sums.

I started a couple of years ago categorising the nature photos I take: birds, insects, flowers etc.  This I found enjoyable and I would like a place to put them so at least some other people are seeing/using them. I already have categories on Sstock and could add to those. Otherwise, they just sit on my hard drive.

I wouldn't bother to create images that might sell well but don't interest me.  Those days, for me, are past I think.

@Thijs de Graaf I believe you upload too to Adobe?  Is it easier to get your photos accepted there than on Sstock now?  I read a lot about rejections on Sstock which appear to be AI driven. That obstacle would be too frustrating to try to overcome for such small remuneration.

Also Thijs, if you ever see any insect photos of mine you would like for your website, I'm happy to email them to you for free. I like your site.  It's great for people to be able to identify the little creatures they see. The offer is there as we may not share the same insects 🙂

It is different.
My Pantaloon bee or hairy-legged mining bee (Dasypoda hirtipeshttps://www.alamy.com/image was disapproved several times, but approved on Adobe and Alamy. And now sold for $ 50 on Alamy. Insects are always on the move, so often not completely sharp. But when I look at the photos at https://www.shutterstock.com/nl , many more could have been rejected.

However, it is also the other way around. This Eristalis tenax on the wall https://www.shutterstock.com was rejected by Adobe. It is doubtful photo, because of the already low sun at the end of the afternoon.

Photographing insects is difficult. In addition to movement, light is also a problem. With a macro lens you need a lot of light. I have a ring flash, but it is not good enough. My colleague Albert de Wilde for example has a much better flash www.ahw.me/img/ (from the Dutch insect website http://www.ahw.me/ )

Arp https://www.jungledragon.com with which I have photographed together, masks his flash so that it is less bright. I don't want to buy an expensive flash for a macro lens for that 10 cents, while the photos for my website are good enough.

Thank you for the offer to post photos on the website. But I only use my own photos. Otherwise the website will be much too big. In the summer I receive a lot of photos with the question what it is and with the offer, that I can use them. I always decline that, although of course I help to identify them.

Until now, Alamy has never refused my photos. I started there in July and sold three photos 5, -, 5, - and 50, - so you have to be very patient 😁.

At Shutter, the first half of February was good for me and then it was over. A striking difference.

shutter feb.jpg

Congratulations @Thijs de Graaf on your Alamy sale.  That is satisfying.  I sold a queen red tailed bumblebee on chives today but for, wait for it, I bet you can't guess ...

Thanks also for the info about the acceptance levels on various sites.

With regard to your sales this month, my pattern was similar.  It's actually a BME for download numbers, but inevitably, not for earnings.

@Alexandre Rotenberg That's why I am considering uploading again, but only photos I would already be taking for my own interest. (I only re-uploaded a few I took off to try for Arc in the last 6 months). It is different for people like yourself who have worked very hard to make a career out of this.

5 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

It is different for people like yourself who have worked very hard to make a career out of this.

Can't make it a career when I'm only earning $500 a month on average but I did try! :D 

Right now it's just travel money (when I'll be able to again) and to buy/upgrade gear guilt-free. 

51 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

So crazy to work hard for 40cents/download average.

I'm at about the same now while my average during 5 years is 70cents. 

Your numbers and mine are almost identical, Alexandre. $ 0,43 vs. $ 0,70. This month still is a disaster here!

At AS this February is already my best month since three years.

25 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Your numbers and mine are almost identical, Alexandre.

Yes, now they are. February 2021 so far i'm at $0.41 on 289 downloads.

Out of curiosity, just checked February 2020 and I was at $0.56 on 476 downloads.

So now it's simply a case of fewer downloads on lower prices. Worst of both worlds. 

13 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Yes, now they are. February 2021 so far i'm at $0.41 on 289 downloads.

Out of curiosity, just checked February 2020 and I was at $0.56 on 476 downloads.

So now it's simply a case of fewer downloads on lower prices. Worst of both worlds. 

I just took a look, too. I was at $ 0,54 last February. It obviously was already bad back then.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

Thanks also for the info about the acceptance levels on various sites.

At Adobe you keep an overview of the rejected photos. Here they are from July. These were accepted by Shutter. But again ... It is at least as often the other way around.

In the second row you see a red chair with my rejected dolls. 😁

adobe rejected.png