Jump to content

OK - Time for the official "How bad was January after the SS brutal pay cuts" thread.


Recommended Posts

May as well start a thread so we can celebrate how much extra profit Shutterstock make and share price is boosted by stealing off every single contributor...

For context i was on the old top SS tier and had been for many years (the >$10k tier) and from last June was on L5 images and L3 video.

I expected it to be bad but hadn't calculated it was going to be THIS bad.

Download *numbers* overall up for me....

First the total:

ss-total.png.f94ce4b7e607738f904117af15c6d1fb.png

 

Just go get an idea from the last 2 years.  Down doesnt begin to describe it.  In fact the worst month since 2012 (when i had 400 images not 17,000+). Ive been on SS 11 years.

So a break down.  Images:

ss-image.thumb.png.0fe23e56611134056644051f232e781e.png

 

So image sales are roughly half.  Worked back up the levels already but it hasn't made a lot of difference.

 

Now for the worst one of the lot..  Video.

 

ss-video.thumb.png.37f8b6a2d7d44ed95187bb63895ea676.png

Can see here its the real killer.  I went from Level 3 to Level 1 yes but that reduction from 25% to 15/20% in no way explains that absolutely massive drop.

This is entirely to SS now seemingly selling far far more videos for ridiculously low give-away prices and/or subscription.  So yes, levels make it worse but ultimately they're discounting videos so much as to be not worth it now.  One sale elsewhere can earn more than a month on here.

Its worth noting i sold *MORE* videos this month than i have in the last 6 months...  For 25% of the income.  Although oddly all sales stopped when i went up to a new level. Stopped totally...

Now for some RPDs:

Lifetime RPD for IMAGES:= $0.75

January RPD for IMAGES= $0.39 (48% decrease)

Lifetime RPD for VIDEO:= $21.57

January RPD for VIDEO:= $5.35 (75% decrease)

 

So a few thoughts...

- Sale *volume* remains the same or even increased so cant blame covid/recession and so on.  Numbers are healthy.

- The image income has reduced substantially.  Most people will take months (maybe 6 from my asking around) to make their previous level

- Video is where its bad. The new super-cheap packages are murdering it. They've giving away the stuff for free.  If it carries on at this volume there's a very very real chance of undercutting yourself on another site now, especially if the material is rare or at least not much competition.  One sale on P5 is more than a whole January here and so on.

I'll keep an eye on it but ultimately, if they're going to practically give away more and more videos for almost nothing, it doesn't matter if you get 15,20,35% or anything - you still earn almost nothing.

Another month of video like this and its time to turn off that profile as the income isnt worth it and the very real risk of undercutting yourselves elsewhere.

Add this to the huge numbers of people elsewhere stealing and asking for people to steal media and also reselling of user content is it wort risking your media here?

Shutterstock has gone from easily my top agency every month to a distant third place.  They've gone full iStock overnight.  Obviously that means massively increased profits and share price for them to say "Look how great we are".

 

I would guess in a few days the all-agency comparison graph on Microstock Groups homepage is going to show the biggest crash and burn for any agency in years.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have completed my January chart. In the last 1.5 days, shutterstock added only 17 downloads – as always on weekends. Those 17 downloads earned me an impressive $4.78. 

In numbers: 
- 15.1% less downloads, than in January 2020.
- 44% less revenue.

The numbers you can see here about the losses in the video segment are even worse, though. It would be interesting to read what Doug Jensen would have to report.

 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-01 um 09.22.30.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

May as well start a thread so we can celebrate how much extra profit Shutterstock make and share price is boosted by stealing off every single contributor...

For context i was on the old top SS tier and had been for many years (the >$10k tier) and from last June was on L5 images and L3 video.

I expected it to be bad but hadn't calculated it was going to be THIS bad.

Download *numbers* overall up for me....

First the total:

ss-total.png.f94ce4b7e607738f904117af15c6d1fb.png

 

Just go get an idea from the last 2 years.  Down doesnt begin to describe it.  In fact the worst month since 2012 (when i had 400 images not 17,000+). Ive been on SS 11 years.

So a break down.  Images:

ss-image.thumb.png.0fe23e56611134056644051f232e781e.png

 

So image sales are roughly half.  Worked back up the levels already but it hasn't made a lot of difference.

 

Now for the worst one of the lot..  Video.

 

ss-video.thumb.png.37f8b6a2d7d44ed95187bb63895ea676.png

Can see here its the real killer.  I went from Level 3 to Level 1 yes but that reduction from 25% to 15/20% in no way explains that absolutely massive drop.

This is entirely to SS now seemingly selling far far more videos for ridiculously low give-away prices and/or subscription.  So yes, levels make it worse but ultimately they're discounting videos so much as to be not worth it now.  One sale elsewhere can earn more than a month on here.

Its worth noting i sold *MORE* videos this month than i have in the last 6 months...  For 25% of the income.  Although oddly all sales stopped when i went up to a new level. Stopped totally...

Now for some RPDs:

Lifetime RPD for IMAGES:= $0.75

January RPD for IMAGES= $0.39 (48% decrease)

Lifetime RPD for VIDEO:= $21.57

January RPD for VIDEO:= $5.35 (75% decrease)

 

So a few thoughts...

- Sale *volume* remains the same or even increased so cant blame covid/recession and so on.  Numbers are healthy.

- The image income has reduced substantially.  Most people will take months (maybe 6 from my asking around) to make their previous level

- Video is where its bad. The new super-cheap packages are murdering it. They've giving away the stuff for free.  If it carries on at this volume there's a very very real chance of undercutting yourself on another site now, especially if the material is rare or at least not much competition.  One sale on P5 is more than a whole January here and so on.

I'll keep an eye on it but ultimately, if they're going to practically give away more and more videos for almost nothing, it doesn't matter if you get 15,20,35% or anything - you still earn almost nothing.

Another month of video like this and its time to turn off that profile as the income isnt worth it and the very real risk of undercutting yourselves elsewhere.

Add this to the huge numbers of people elsewhere stealing and asking for people to steal media and also reselling of user content is it wort risking your media here?

Shutterstock has gone from easily my top agency every month to a distant third place.  They've gone full iStock overnight.  Obviously that means massively increased profits and share price for them to say "Look how great we are".

 

I would guess in a few days the all-agency comparison graph on Microstock Groups homepage is going to show the biggest crash and burn for any agency in years.

 

 

Thanks for sharing. There is only one conclusion to be drawn. If people keep uploading this dire situation / income decrease will continue. The more supply on subscription websites the worse for everyone. Nearly all image sales now are for ten cents so there is little more to be said. Everyone has to do what he or she feels is the best.Without single and OD sales I see it as a waste of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

...and started February off with a $0.67 video.

I'll give it one more month but it really doesn't look like its worth risking a video portfolio on here. As well as the risk of getting content stolen, if the insane cheap prices they sell for costs even ONE sale elsewhere due to undercutting, you're losing.

Its simple not worth risking hundreds of dollars elsewhere to make a few tens of cents here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

...and started February off with a $0.67 video.

I'll give it one more month but it really doesn't look like its worth risking a video portfolio on here. As well as the risk of getting content stolen, if the insane cheap prices they sell for costs even ONE sale elsewhere due to undercutting, you're losing.

Its simple not worth risking hundreds of dollars elsewhere to make a few tens of cents here.

 

Well said. The transformation is difficult to understand but as you say at this rate one is being forced to go and pull images rather than risk lost sales elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think already SS has planned to diverge.

It has premium where it'll charge sensible prices and pay sensible commission.

It then has "Shutterstock" for the garbage stuff it can sell for nothing and populated mainly by people who are happy receiving "recognition" and a couple of cents to see their name in lights after a sale.

Two totally different buyers market and 2 totally different way of handling contributors.

Shutterstock itself can become a bargain basement "Content by amateurs, for amateurs".  There seems to be no interest in maintaining any sort of quality on the main library itself and hasnt been the case for quite some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Former_Poster said:

I think already SS has planned to diverge.

It has premium where it'll charge sensible prices and pay sensible commission.

It then has "Shutterstock" for the garbage stuff it can sell for nothing and populated mainly by people who are happy receiving "recognition" and a couple of cents to see their name in lights after a sale.

I've been saying this for years. They have a long term plan, they are not stupid. They have to compete with free sites and this will only get worse. So dumbing down SS to cater to the low end market and the premium sites for the high end market no doubt makes business sense. The gap between them is slowly getting bigger. Give it enough time, and presuming they stay on the same path, SS will eventually become a free site too.

In the mean time...

Jan this year is up on dls and down on earning compared to Jan 2020. Not hugely different but enough to be disappointing if not unexpected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Roughly how many downloads a month are we talking here?  It looks more and more like the higher the level person the worst its hitting.

(And video which is significantly worse than the image hit).

 

All downloads are images; no video.  January was total 336 downoads with RPD 0.45.  I'm not a "higher level person".

(I'm expecting to branch into video soon, but considering all I've read here about SS royalties for video I think I'll try them elsewhere if I can produce some work which I find convincing.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...