Duck Thread, you can't let this die! (plus it's Spring and ducks will be selling soon) All Fowl are acceptable, lets be open to bird diversity

In honor of the original duck thread, I uploaded a new duck photo today, which I fully expected to be rejected. I guess I'm better at editing than I was in 2009 when I shot it and since I don't see it here... I was rejected? 😂

So please, as it's Spring and ducks become more popular for many reasons, maybe because of Easter. Please post you latest, or best or funny accepted Duck Photo.

Here's My Most Recent Upload and a thread starter:

Yellow ducks in sandy grass setting. Large duck in front, leading smaller and smaller yellow rubber ducks.

This thread comes with a warning label, if you don't have a sense of humor, do not click, it's 15 pages long. Some of it is about rejections and some is quite controversial.

By the way, that's a fact:  Most waterfowl fly at speeds of 40 to 60 mph, with many species averaging roughly 50 mph. Probably not taking off or landing or around the pond, but they can make some pretty good speed.

• HodagMedia changed the title to Duck Thread, you can't let this die! (plus it's Spring and ducks will be selling soon) All Fowl are acceptable, lets be open to bird diversity
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Black-Bellied Whistling Duck

In honor of the original duck thread, I uploaded a new duck photo today, which I fully expected to be rejected. I guess I'm better at editing than I was in 2009 when I shot it and since I don't see it

I suddenly forgot the no-ducks rule and recently uploaded this photo. But in fairness this is a goose)

Posted Images

Only recently (January 12th) I took some pictures of geese (Greylag goose (Anser anser) and white domestic geese)
A strange kind of duck.

Next time a real one.  Coincidentally tried yesterday, but they swam away. 🙂

In 2013 we spontaneously had two wild ducks in the garden (in the village, far from water). They swam around our pond and flew away. After that never seen in our garden again.

stock-photo-greylag-goose-a.jpg

wilde-eenden-1-24-4-2013.jpg

Nice shots everyone. Here's one of my on the verge of off topic, since I don't have any good duck shots.

Many geese and goslings on a calm pond early morning. Peaceful with copy space, reflections.

They always swim away when I come to shoot them... with the camera? Maybe some day I'll put a remote on time lapse and walk around the other side. I should be able to trick a bird brain?

20 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Nice shots everyone. Here's one of my on the verge of off topic, since I don't have any good duck shots.

Many geese and goslings on a calm pond early morning. Peaceful with copy space, reflections.

They always swim away when I come to shoot them... with the camera? Maybe some day I'll put a remote on time lapse and walk around the other side. I should be able to trick a bird brain?

Take a lot of bread and share the ducks))

23 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

The same when i cycle along the meadows and ditches (without bread). Maybe I have to go to our public petting zoo in the village. But I prefer in wild. 🙂

4 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Take a lot of bread and share the ducks))

Good plan and not to be negative but I keep reading how feeding ducks and geese bread, is bad for them. With the way of the world right now, everything is bad in someones opinion. The air, the water, the climate, the rain, the snow... We have designer dog and cat food, (expensive of course) and ads on TV about how to cure pet obesity. Well it's not the pets fault, is it! 😀

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

The same when i cycle along the meadows and ditches (without bread). Maybe I have to go to our public petting zoo in the village. But I prefer in wild. 🙂

They are wild, and I wasn't there to photograph birds or anything else except a waterfall. One of those back roads trips. where I marked places to see on the way. The waterfall was tiny and more of a spillway from the pond (unless that's a lake) where the geese were hanging out keeping a close eye on what I was doing.

I miss the road trips where I try to not be focused on the destination and instead enjoy the ride and the journey. Some interesting and enjoyable photos have come from just following the rivers or two lane roads. AKA how to make a 6 hour trip into a 10 hour trip? I usually split those up, with a rest in the middle, second part in the morning.

This came from one of those, hunting for waterfalls and I wanted morning light because the falls face the East.

Nature Trail curves through a heavy woods. Sunlight streams in from the canopy for a contrasting lighting.

I'm going to be out of ducks and geese soon?

Five Sandhill Cranes in a recently harvested field

Sand hill cranes in the Spring. Wow that watermark sure gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it?

46 minutes ago, Awana JF said:

stock-photo-view-of-a-female-mallard-lyi

Friendly or telephoto? From the angle it looks like you were not threatening, which is nice. I had a mallard nest in a window well one year. They sure do find some odd spots. If not safe, the raccoons and squirrels will get the eggs.

25 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Friendly or telephoto? From the angle it looks like you were not threatening, which is nice. I had a mallard nest in a window well one year. They sure do find some odd spots. If not safe, the raccoons and squirrels will get the eggs.

Very friendly! It must have felt safe because surrounded by tons of geese... and squirrels and raccoons don't usually mess with those...

I wouldn't mess with this kind of scary dinosaur!

stock-photo-close-up-view-of-a-canadian-

No telephoto, but I didn't stay there too long as this one didn't seem to like me at all! 

• 3 weeks later...

These are three of my ducks. in the snow from a few years ago. Appropriate as it's snowing here right now! 

ducks-snow-three-pet-back-600w-700132753

And this is Quackers, a wild rescue given to me to care for from my local vet. She had an eye removed after this shot and is completely blind. I should get some more shots of a duck with no eye, doubt there will be many of them in the SS catalogue lol.

close-young-female-mallard-duck-600w-112

BTW on the bread front. A little bit of fresh bread wont hurt, there are problems with it though. It's a treat food so too much can cause nutrient deficiencies. It's high calorie so can cause obesity, though for wild ducks in winter a supplementary high calorie food could be a good thing! The main problem with people feeding bread to ducks is when it's thrown in the water. Lots of it sinks and decays and pollutes the water, which can cause real problems. There's also the problem of rats. Then there are moulds on old bread, it goes on... But really it mainly depends on if it's a little bit or a lot. In some places loads of people are feeding it everyday, and that can be a very real issue. 
Just saying ;)