• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My small success story to share with fellow contributors here. At the end of October last year, I decided to open an online shop on et- si* and I guess you know why I need to do this since SS

Judging by the number of downloads this month I am hoping to reach Level 2 by the time I am 103.

Hiya fellow contributors I hope everyone is doing well and celebrating the windfalls from your micro-stock sales and the personal wealth and prosperity it brings you. For my year-to-date sa

Posted Images

Earnings on SS in January 2021 were $91.84 (graph below) so an ordinary month. Image sale earnings were decimated in January - that was my disappointment as far as SS is concerned. Earnings January 2021 were down 7% from earnings in January 2020 with a much smaller port. But then, earnings December 2020 were up 480% compared to December 2019. Video sales made up for almost 90% of earnings in January 2021. Earnings on my other two main sites for January 2021 were $6.92 on AS and $0.00 on P5. These results were by far my main disappointments last month.  

image.png.d604869d2e672cb7f5ea6b75f5b21914.png

1 hour ago, Marbury said:

So I go up to level 2 earnings this month and yet my sales are still going for 10 cents. Confused. 🤔

The great news is even at level 6 most of your sales will be 10c.

You'll get a higher commission for some sales but the high volume subscription packs (majority of the sales) will be 10c regardless of level.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

Because you are very, very privileged.  That extra cent will be a source of great envy. Get 99 more and you will be able to buy a small bar of chocolate.

Ha, ha! 😄 Hundreds of pages of discussion on the new levels and what they mean yet still the same questions about why 10 cents or 11 cents or 12 cents etc!

7 minutes ago, stevemart said:

Ha, ha! 😄 Hundreds of pages of discussion on the new levels and what they mean yet still the same questions about why 10 cents or 11 cents or 12 cents etc!

Yes, we are repeating a bit. 😏

This is also Shutterstock's fault. If they had clarified all their measures with schedules like in my answer, there would have been more peace. Maybe even a very small, little bit more understanding.
It is strange that the answers have to come from zealous members.
It is that indifference that bothers me the most.

8 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Yes, we are repeating a bit. 😏

This is also Shutterstock's fault. If they had clarified all their measures with schedules like in my answer, t

Clarifying isnt in SS interest. They WANT contributors to think as they advance through levels all their commissions go up.

Doesn't suit them to mention a large part of them wont.

22 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Clarifying isnt in SS interest. They WANT contributors to think as they advance through levels all their commissions go up.

Doesn't suit them to mention a large part of them wont.

I know that. It will be for the customers who buy their products. But because of that, it annoys me.
To us, they fail. It only causes unrest.

To me from the start, every day at SS is a surprise as to how much you will or won't earn! And now since the new commissions structure and the roll-back to level1 from every Jan 1st the thing about the 'surprise' is just how little you earn compared to your old level based on all those years of contributing. If you do get a 'nice' surprise one day with a $20 SOD, when that happens early in January when you're at level 1 or 2, I only think, S***T, I wish that had been later in the year when I would have got more than twice as much in level 4.

24 minutes ago, stevemart said:

To me from the start, every day at SS is a surprise as to how much you will or won't earn! And now since the new commissions structure and the roll-back to level1 from every Jan 1st the thing about the 'surprise' is just how little you earn compared to your old level based on all those years of contributing. If you do get a 'nice' surprise one day with a $20 SOD, when that happens early in January when you're at level 1 or 2, I only think, S***T, I wish that had been later in the year when I would have got more than twice as much in level 4.

As a newcomer, I don't have that because I didn't get higher than level 3 last year. I feel more like ... if only I had started with stock photos earlier. Unfortunately, the best time is over.

So far, $ 7,33 has been the highest. $ 20 SOD would now be roughly equivalent to my best monthly income.  🙂

With 2020 hindsight (joke!) the good ole days were really good. I started in mid-2012 and had no more than 500 images when, in December 2015, I went through the $10K lifetime earnings level to the maximum rate per sub of $0.38. On that meager port I was still making a regular $300/month and sometimes $400. And I was certainly not a star performer but happy with the extra income to top up my state pension.

A few good years ensued until around 2018 when it seemed that any new work was getting deluged by the sheer numbers of contributors and images (after the barriers to entry were lowered to 1 approved image instead of 7 out of 10) . At which point I stopped uploading (never did get to 1K images)....the rewards no longer seemed to justify the effort. So.....now with no effort involved, I'm coasting downhill into oblivion with earnings down to 25-30% of what they used to be. Just glad that I have no affinity for footage as I would probably have spent a fortune on gear only to hear that now the video makers are being hammered harder than the stills people.

5 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

This is very bitter! Did you send an e-mail to the support?

Why?

Doesn't that look suspicious at all, considering all of our wonderful 10c commissions, and sub videos, then a batch of five high priced downloads? How many $35.18 commissions do you get a month? This jumps off the page and says "there's something wrong here"

Not that @saiko3p is part of that, but possibly someone with a stolen card just got five free videos. What is SS supposed to do after getting robbed for over $1000, pay us as well?

5 hours ago, stevemart said:

Odd isn't it, how some people just see only what they want to see?

This is Photos only: Subs, levels 1-6 left to right, based on calculations from what the advertised prices are for customers. Some may actually pay less, and some other partners or API sites might be at the lowest fees, similar to 750 annual subscriptions.

Any sales of anything that would result in a contributor getting less than the minimum of 10 cents we will get credited with 10 cents.

SS-levels-chart-subs.jpg

Explaining how this works is not defending the system, I'm just describing how some of it works.

Seems to me about clawback is that Shutterstock didn't really get robbed! Their bookkeeping entry of $1,000 in sales had to be written off as if it never happened and the commission paid to the contributor was taken back....so no loss to SS. The contributor was robbed of their royalties because their video was distributed at the time with a valid license and (one assumes) was used for whatever purpose without the 'customer' actually paying the copyright holder via SS for the license.

8 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

I did get a $67 image sale today.

But that in no way makes up for my videos now selling for under $5 :(

Congrats!

I have an EL too this morning closed to 30 bucks. Same week like last month I got a 30 bucks EL but was taken out by end of Jan due to fraudulent activity or whatever.

I hope this one isn't going to adjustments tab.