The Times They Are A-Changin’

Anne Geddes Was Once the Queen of Baby Photography.
Now, She’s Hit Hard Times—and Is Asking for Your Help

The photographer spoke to Artnet News about how the rise of the internet dramatically altered the course of her career.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/anne-geddes-profile-1849401?utm_content=from_&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Combined morning newsletter for 12%2F29%2F20&utm_term=Daily Newsletter [ALL] [MORNING]

• oleschwander changed the title to The Times They Are A-Changin’

“The thing that people don’t seem to get is that it takes about $250,000 to $350,000 to produce the kinds of shoots that I do,” she says. “It’s like doing a movie, for god’s sake. And if there’s no financial return, it’s like money out of my own pocket. Of course there are more ideas I want to do—beautiful things that I know would blow people’s minds, but what’s the point?"

With a net worth of 85 million dollars

Awww, poor wittle thing.

😐

5 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Awww, poor wittle thing.

😐

1 hour ago, Rudy Umans said:

one of FAA's best sellers

Anne Geddes - Shop (fineartamerica.com)

With a net worth of 85 million dollars, I have a feeling she will be Okay.

Anne Geddes Net Worth (idolnetworth.com)

I wish I had that problem....

19 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Also beated me ....

Thought the same.
Looking at her photos I think, costs for camera equipment excluded, I could assemble her photo props for under $100. I have no idea what makes her shoots so expensive. There are a few shoots where she probably had custom props made like giant objects, but for most of her photos she uses everyday objects like buckets, baskets and cabbages as photo props. Unless she's paying surrogates to birth her babies for her shootings, I don't have the slightest idea what would make her shoots cost a quarter million $ or more.

1 hour ago, Emily Veinglory said:

The net worth site is wildly inaccurate, generally over-estimating.  That said, I am sure she is poor for someone used to being rich, rather than poor poor.

and you know that how? 

Either way. I think that net worth is in Australian dollars and even if only half or even only 25% is true, she will be fine methinks

1 hour ago, Firn said:

Thought the same.
Looking at her photos I think, costs for camera equipment excluded, I could assemble her photo props for under $100. I have no idea what makes her shoots so expensive.

I seriously doubt that even Annie Leibovitz 's elaborate shoots cost that much

The price of babies must have gone up tremendously ................

3 hours ago, Firn said:

Thought the same.
Looking at her photos I think, costs for camera equipment excluded, I could assemble her photo props for under $100. I have no idea what makes her shoots so expensive. There are a few shoots where she probably had custom props made like giant objects, but for most of her photos she uses everyday objects like buckets, baskets and cabbages as photo props. Unless she's paying surrogates to birth her babies for her shootings, I don't have the slightest idea what would make her shoots costs a quarter million $ or more.

Yes you do, if you think about it? Reputation and the buyers bragging rights... "I hired Anne Geddes to shoot my baby photos." I'm sure she got to where she is with style and quality, but after that,  public recognition, popularity, from marketing, is the biggest step for anyone getting famous and making top money.

24 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Yes you do, if you think about it? Reputation and the buyers bragging rights... "I hired Anne Geddes to shoot my baby photos." I'm sure she got to where she is with style and quality, but after that,  public recognition, popularity, from marketing, is the biggest step for anyone getting famous and making top money.

Reading too fast or too slow again?

It is not the price for the customer, it is her cost for a shoot.

“The thing that people don’t seem to get is that it takes about $250,000 to $350,000 to produce the kinds of shoots that I do,” she says. 

37 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

Reading too fast or too slow again?

It is not the price for the customer, it is her cost for a shoot.

“The thing that people don’t seem to get is that it takes about $250,000 to $350,000 to produce the kinds of shoots that I do,” she says. 

Right I didn't read the information from the link. I can assume she passes on her costs to the customers, or her publishers, and the buyers of her books and calendars?

Going back to sales Rep. days. Some distributors couldn't be bothered with little customers. I loved them. Hey, something like Micro-something? Anyway, back then one of those think tanks did a study and said, "It costs $70 to process a purchase order from a customer." some places took that literally and set a $50 minimum. My policy is, and still is, "If you pay the shipping costs, I'll mail you an empty box." No minimum order, I'll take any business I can get.

No one orders one screwdriver, at least with any sense. One guy used to order a dozen at a time, I drove them over, when I was in the area, free shipping. No next day delivery like some who paid or had collect UPS billing.

But back to the point. She might say it costs $250,000 to produce a shoot, but that's a bunch of BS accounting. (and read the end, that's not what she said anyway)  "And if there’s no financial return, it’s like money out of my own pocket." and who's in the article, with baby? Celine Dion for a book, with music, and first printing 250,000 copies, with CD. I need to add the actual quote, from another source, for some better clarity on the costs. She includes research, months of that, and everything else, from start to finish, so someone making it as simple as, how much for a shoot and the equipment is shorting her work and investment.

the costs involved in creating a series of 12 new images, which can be anywhere between $200,000 and $300,000 Is what she said about her last project in 2015 where she did a calendar. 12 new images, not a shoot.

$20,000 a photo might seem a bit high, but that's final product, we don't know what went into each photo?