about social distance

17 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Too fast maybe! 😄

Not too slow, not too fast... maybe Half-Fast? 😁

@Fixazh For the juggling heads, composite. Definitions are pretty specific, not open to opinions, and being twisted for personal purposes. Just because someone uses a word improperly or misunderstands what that word means, doesn't change the meaning for the rest of the world. verstunden?

collage  NOUN

a piece of art made by sticking various different materials such as photographs and pieces of paper or fabric on to a backing.

the art of making collages.

a combination or collection of various things.

ORIGIN

early 20th century: from French, literally ‘gluing’.

Further Reading:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collage

48 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

I would say its a photograph of a collage ...

Might be that too? I don't have the original. The photograph could be multiple exposures, combined, or a composite. Look at the right hand (which is on the left of the photograph) It is over the face, which could have been some careful dodging or as you suggest, a collage, that was then photographed.

This is not a collage, but it is three images, overlapped on each other. No glue, no fabric, no sticking...

Bright purple and green trail of light up to a exploding splash of color. Left side of image, isolated on a black background.

2 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

The photograph could be multiple exposures, combined, or a composite.

Yes, you may be right. They were indeed very inventive in the nineteenth century ... Here’s one more. What a work put into the images. But in the end they had to re-photograph it in order to mass produce.

1C4D2860-8721-4E19-88EE-390AD4B252C9.jpeg

6 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Yes, you may be right. They were indeed very inventive in the nineteenth century ... Here’s one more. What a work put into the images. But in the end they had to re-photograph it in order to mass produce.

They could have all been laying flat on the ground. Then make the master print, building photo with a cutout that blocked the light in the shape of the "man wheel". (easy enough, print one, cut around the edges) Next negative, a reverse of that would only expose the men. Careful dodging during each exposure would create the illusion. This was often done, without cutting and pasting, to make a collage.

See the source image

hardly uncommon. 🤡 This photo is real, we grow them big up here.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:04 PM, Rudy Umans said:

To differentiate themselves from kindergarten, the early pioneers in this field called them Composites or Photomontages. Not Collages (even though there is obviously a huge overlap)  

Hell, we still call it "cut and paste"

You are absolutely correct. Technically, collage and photomontage are different techniques. But they are essentially the same thing - "cut and paste" .

On 12/27/2020 at 7:24 PM, HodagMedia said:

I hate to be disagreeable but there was no promise of lifetime, it's a contract. Contracts change, especially for "contract" workers. 😉 Sometimes up more often down. You keep saying partners, while we aren't even the hired help. We are independent artists. That's it. Agencies offer a TOS/Contract, where we can take that or leave it. I don't see open negotiations going on.

This contract is copied from the sales manager's motivational plan. All those levels, percentages, zeroing in. Step by step until you're blind from the monitor))

The question is not about how you position yourself here. The question is how you feel about how they position you.

Management bonuses require that any and all legal means will be used to ensure that bonus and stock option targets will be met....and as chemists say, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate....yep....that's us! 🙂

On 12/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, HodagMedia said:

I hate to be disagreeable but there was no promise of lifetime, it's a contract. Contracts change, especially for "contract" workers. 😉 Sometimes up more often down. You keep saying partners, while we aren't even the hired help. We are independent artists. That's it. Agencies offer a TOS/Contract, where we can take that or leave it. I don't see open negotiations going on.

Changing the incentive, you will need to show me one agency that Has Not changed the level, jewels, incentives, percentages, or whatever else, including taking away things like ELs, or changing the artist contract, or changing how our images are allowed to be used, all sizes now all one price and re-sale through anonymous partners... for less!. In fact all of them did that before ShutterStock, except the new changes still coming on from others.

I still don't know why just about everyone has such a short term memory? Like claiming SS started this and the never ending angry hateful messages. Maybe for the new year I'll do what I've avoided and list the dates and term changes from everyone else, that led up to SS joining them? I've had people encourage me to "do that!" 😀

Times change, contracts change, suppliers re-negotiate contracts, based on their product needs and values. If the demand for stock images was up and the supply was down, we could demand more pay. Instead the supply is endless and no matter how much people claim the market is endless, there's only so much need and demand for specific types and content. Therefore, our market is over supplied and there's no shortage. Artists will get paid less.

There are some things that aren't just going to make much money with a low demand. Selling sand in the Sahara, selling snow in the Arctic, selling field rocks in the glacier regions, and selling common subjects that can be photographed anywhere in the world... on Microstock.

You are right, I'm not happy with the change, but it's all legal and normal.

Agreed. Nobody is thrilled with this arrangement but I'm becoming increasingly bored with the number of people that can't find a way to move on from this. It isn't and never was Shutterstock's responsibility to put food on tables, pay bills and the mortgage. There's no employee/employer relationship.  It's unfortunate that some contributors put all of their eggs into one basket, yes, but at some point it's time to move on. 

16 hours ago, Fixazh said:

You are absolutely correct. Technically, collage and photomontage are different techniques. But they are essentially the same thing - "cut and paste" .

My lawn tractor and a Ferrari both have four wheels, a gasoline engine, a seat and a steering wheel... so they are also essentially the same? 🤡

On 12/28/2020 at 11:04 AM, Rudy Umans said:

To differentiate themselves from kindergarten, the early pioneers in this field called them Composites or Photomontages. Not Collages (even though there is obviously a huge overlap)  

Hell, we still call it "cut and paste"

But we have a much more expensive pair of sharp pointed scissors, that can make precise cuts and some really special paste. 😉

On 1/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, HodagMedia said:

My lawn tractor and a Ferrari both have four wheels, a gasoline engine, a seat and a steering wheel... so they are also essentially the same? 🤡

Vehicle is called here. Yes. Of course. In the potato field race, your tractor will beat that horse

7 hours ago, Fixazh said:

Vehicle is called here. Yes. Of course. In the potato field race, your tractor will beat that horse

LOL slow and steady? Or ground clearance. 👍 But a donkey never won the Kentucky Derby.