Galleries typically take between 40 to 50 percent from the sale of artworks. Retail markup average is about 50%.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Istock take 85%

Nevertheless, I think you should include "cheese" as a keyword for every shot of the moon.

You are being very rude.  You floated a proposition on a public forum to see if other contrtibutors think it is a good idea or not. Instead, you want to supress anyone who doesn't share your view.   I

6 minutes ago, blvdone said:

This isn't even started yet.  #5050FairPayForArtists baby!!

Well, good luck. As a last piece of unsolicited advice, should you actually make yourself noticeable to SS by posting on their forum like you have been, the response you will most likely get is that they will kick you out of the forum and the library. Again, you'd know that with even a cursory look at things that have been done.

But, what do I know? Best of luck.

54 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

Funny how you think that someone pulling their port on protest isn't worthy of respect. you'd know that if you happened to do even a shallow bt of research on your given topic.

Lol, as I said, you don't seem to know much. I've been here since 2005-6.

You said in another thread Terry that you are still trying to leave the forum but don't succeed in having your ID deleted.  I hope you stay.  There are only a few regular posters here from when I first started reading the forum in 2018.  I always enjoy reading your writing which can be erudite, provocative, funny, clever but always interesting.....

@Rudy Umans You don't post very often, but as demonstrated in this thread, you don't waste any words and your posts reflect a wealth of experience.

With regard to the topic, dead, flogging and horse come to mind ... sadly ...🐎

4 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

You said in another thread Terry that you are still trying to leave the forum but don't succeed in having your ID deleted.  I hope you stay.  There are only a few regular posters here from when I first started reading the forum in 2018.  I always enjoy reading your writing which can be erudite, provocative, funny, clever but always interesting.....

@Rudy Umans You don't post very often, but as demonstrated in this thread, you don't waste any words and your posts demonstrate a wealth of experience.

With regard to the topic, dead, flogging and horse come to mind ... sadly ...🐎

Thanks Deb, but every time I say virtually anything I generally either end up arguing or getting frustrated. :) Or both. But I cannot seem to stop, hence why I wish they could close me out and I can end this (forum) chapter of my life finally (one can also say many of my posts are insulting, irritating, and/or sarcastic :) ).

And yes about the dead horse. Ah well. Happy Holidays.

I haven't read everything, maybe it says somewhere. I think a famous Gallery may charge a higher percentage than a lesser known gallery. Or the other way around, a well-known artist can ask for a higher percentage because a gallery should be happy that he / she comes to them with the paintings.
That could also apply to a Stocksite. An artist, who sells only a small percentage (me 😁 ), is more expensive (storage space) for a stock site than a photographer, of which a lot is sold.
In that respect, I can understand the new system although the percentages are low.
What bothers me more is that the images are offered so cheaply (sometimes free), so that competitors sell less or have to ask less.
On the other hand, Shutterstock will say they have to compete with the images available for free. Professional newspaper photographers can get more and the really good photographers video makers continue to earn a lot with the new system too. (Doug, Muratart )
I think it's great that you keep taking action, but I wonder if you can achieve anything. We cannot be united through a union.Too many people, scattered around the world and competitors.

All the low earners patting on their back each other.  When you only have less than 1,000 photos probably earning less than $100/month, why do you even care?  If the royalty goes up from your 25% to 50%, you only make $100 more per month.  All you low earners do is to trash somebody who advocates for us contributors.  Losers.

3 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I haven't read everything, maybe it says somewhere. I think a famous Gallery may charge a higher percentage than a lesser known gallery. Or the other way around, a well-known artist can ask for a higher percentage because a gallery should be happy that he / she comes to them with his paintings.
That could also apply to a Stocksite. An artist, who sells only a small percentage (me 😁 ), is more expensive (storage space) for a stock site than a photographer, of which a lot is sold.
In that respect, I can understand the new system although the percentages are low.
What bothers me more is that the images are offered so cheaply (sometimes free), so that competitors sell less or have to ask less.
On the other hand, Shutterstock will say they have to compete with the images available for free. Professional newspaper photographers can get more and the really good photographers video makers continue to earn a lot with the new system too. (Doug, Muratart )
I think it's great that you keep taking action, but I wonder if you can achieve anything. We cannot be united through a union.Too many people, scattered around the world and competitors.

I agree with you on Shutterstock trying to lower their cost by discouraging low earners.  But like you mentioned, the new system doesn't reward higher earners either.  New system should make top half earn more and bottom half earn less to make it fair.  Instead, Shutterstock is just stealing our money especially from video contributors.   Almost nobody would reach 35% level.  Stock Coalition didn't achieve anything so far either.  So, like I said, it's better than doing nothing.  I feel sorry for Stock Coalition photo contributors who had high hopes when Pond5 offered them a partnership.  Photo sales on Pond5 is nearly non-existent.  Now there are many disappointed photo contributors on Pond5 who wasted their time uploading and tagging.

8 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I haven't read everything, maybe it says somewhere. I think a famous Gallery may charge a higher percentage than a lesser known gallery. Or the other way around, a well-known artist can ask for a higher percentage because a gallery should be happy that he / she comes to them with his paintings.

I've heard in the past that some high earners worked out deals with Shutterstock to get higher percentage than others.  I think it's true.  I've negotiated a deal like that with other stock site in the past too.  I pulled out my account due to low sales at that site though.

45 minutes ago, blvdone said:

Low performing contributors talk loud here on forum.  High earners are too busy producing new materials and don't hang out here.

You have described yourself perfectly. You are the loudest and most frequent poster right now and and have nothing positive to say.  Everyone owes you something.  You cannot play by the same rules as everyone else.  The MAN is putting you down. Poor baby.  We are tired of listening to the little baby cry. Do you need your diaper changed or something?  My advice is to take your useless hashtag and go do something constructive with your life.  You are embarrassing yourself.

#Banjackassesfromthefourm

2 hours ago, blvdone said:

I've heard in the past that some high earners worked out deals with Shutterstock to get higher percentage than others.  I think it's true.  I've negotiated a deal like that with other stock site in the past too.  I pulled out my account due to low sales at that site though.

I've heard the moon was made of cheese and you can get rich from buying and selling Amway? Hey, I've heard and no substance no confirmations, including one of the biggest saying in public "We have no deal". But you've heard?

We've also heard that years ago Yuri tried to make higher commission demands and look where he is now on Shutterstock? We don't know for a fact.

Tell us, a fact about how and where you personally negotiated a deal on a stock site, as an individual, I need to hear this one.

2 hours ago, blvdone said:

You probably won't see me on the forum much.  It's a waste of time.

Make My Day, no make my Year... and many other here feel the same, I heard and I think it's true, just like you

rofl.gif

17 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Nevertheless, I think you should include "cheese" as a keyword for every shot of the moon.

I'll remember that. Is that detail part of your training video?

17 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Absolutely!

And maybe "disappointing " because it sure was when we got there. At least for a cheesehead like me.  

No, all the way from FL and you're a Green Bay Packer fan?

Or did you mean the real thing? Did you know (I know everyone is just excited to see what's coming next?) 25% of the US cheese production, 3.3 billion pounds annually, comes from Wisconsin? 90% of all the milk from cows in Wisconsin, gets made into cheese, most of that is sold outside Wisconsin. Over 600 varieties of cheese are made in Wisconsin? There are over 1,200 cheese factories in WI, which is actually a downward trend.

Wisconsin won more awards than any other state or country at the 2020 World Championship Cheese Contest with 122 medals.

100% of the limburger made in the US is from Wisconsin.

I should be photographing cheese or cows, or a cheese factory?

OK here's one that has never had one sale. Maybe I could stick to something else with more buyer interest?

Artisan Manchego Cheese, herbs and spices, pepper, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, mix of cow, sheep and goat milks. Regal Spanish Cheese in extra virgin olive oil. Square close-up

Artisan Manchego Cheese, with herbs and olive oil.

Does anyone else think the watermark placement could be hurting this image?

Moon rising under clouds, with a clear blue sky background below.

Blue Cheese no doubt?