Galleries typically take between 40 to 50 percent from the sale of artworks. Retail markup average is about 50%.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Istock take 85%

Nevertheless, I think you should include "cheese" as a keyword for every shot of the moon.

You are being very rude.  You floated a proposition on a public forum to see if other contrtibutors think it is a good idea or not. Instead, you want to supress anyone who doesn't share your view.   I

9 minutes ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

OK.  You convinced me. I'm totally on board and behind you.... Now, what steps are you proposing we can take that will force Shutterstock to give us 50% royalties?

Create an awareness among artists and general public that this industry exploit us artists by paying way less than 50%.  We need to put public pressure on the industry. Only some contributors turning off or deleting portfolio didn't put any pressure on Shutterstock.  We need general public to know this unfair practice by this industry.  So, the most important first step is to spread the word not only among stock contributors, but artists and general public by copy and paste my statement or use your own words on social media and use hashtag #5050FairPayForArtists  

Thanks.

Of course I'm not saying this will work, but it's better than doing nothing.  It won't hurt much just copying and pasting my statement or use your own words and use hashtag #5050FairPayForArtists on social media to spread the awareness to artists and general public.  It's much less work than running on a treadmill for 10 minutes.

Pond5 had been paying us 50% royalty for years.  When they changed the royalty to 40% for general account and 60% for exclusive, they still pay us somewhere between 40-60%.  Business should be sustainable paying us 50% just like general retail stores on average pay wholesalers 50% of their retail price or art galleries usually pay artists 50-60% from sales.  This industry just made it a norm to pay us less than 1/3 of sales the creators of what they sell.  That's economic injustice.

3 minutes ago, blvdone said:

awareness to artists and general public.  

Sounds great. I like the idea!  You are on to something.  (But artist are already aware they're being exploited. The general public aren't customers of stock agencies -so have no power to force them to change their business models.)   Other than 'spreading awareness"  what steps can we take that would force stock house to pay us more?

2 minutes ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

Sounds great. I like the idea!  You are on to something.  (But artist are already aware they're being exploited. The general public aren't customers of stock agencies -so have no power to force them to change their business models.)   Other than 'spreading awareness"  what steps can we take that would force stock house to pay us more?

I don't have a blueprint for everything yet.  There's no step without spreading the awareness and create the movement and public pressure first.

56 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I don't have a blueprint for everything yet.  

Ahh, too bad. That's a pity. Well, it's such a great idea....  In fact, I'm going to take it and expand it.

Proposition: We the public are tired of paying to much for flights and demand airlines cut ticket prices by 50%.

Proposition: Through a public awareness campaign we will force hospitals and drug companies to lower patient's expenses by 70%.

Proposition: The dairy industry exploits our thirst and must give us free milk.

I don't have a blueprint for everything yet, but because they are such noble and valuable goals, anyone who suggest they can't be done should

"stay quiet", "don't discourage" or "express negative opinions" [quoting blvdone]  just because I can't give you ONE reason how we will accomplish them. 

1 hour ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

Ahh, too bad. That's a pity. Well, it's such a great idea....  In fact, I'm going to take it and expand it.

Proposition: We the public are tired of paying to much for flights and demand airlines cut ticket prices by 50%.

Proposition: Through a public awareness campaign we will force hospitals and drug companies to lower patient's expenses by 70%.

Proposition: The dairy industry exploits our thirst and must give us free milk.

I don't have a blueprint for everything yet, but because they are such noble and valuable goals, anyone who suggest they can't be done should

"stay quiet", "don't discourage" or "express negative opinions" [quoting blvdone]  just because I can't give you ONE reason how we will accomplish them. 

Bye.  I knew you were just a hater.  lol

3 hours ago, blvdone said:

I don't have a blueprint for everything yet.  There's no step without spreading the awareness and create the movement and public pressure first.

Ok let me help you out here a little bit

First, it you accuse SS and MS in general of unfair business practices (not sure if you do or if it is all wishful thinking), you better have a solid narrative and the numbers to back that up. (it's a legal thing)

Second, come up with solutions so you get what you want while the agencies still have a better than average chance to survive so contributors can survive

Third, approach the major photography advocacy and associations such as ASMP, PPA, and PSA. Don't forget the ones for designers and illustrators and the international ones. Convince them to back you up with some muscle

Fourth, you are on the wrong forums. This one is too limited for your purposes. You should try MSG where you can reach pretty much all the agencies in one shot and where you might have a much larger audience.

Fifth, try something new and innovative to convince contributors to stand behind you. so far nothing worked

and last but not least, get to work and do your due diligence (homework)

2 hours ago, blvdone said:

This is a different movement than the reaction to Shutterstock in July.  This movement targets the entire industry, not only Shutterstock.  We demand 50% royalty from the entire industry like art galleries and general retail businesses pay to the artists and wholesalers 50%.  

Why stop with the photography industry, let's fight to end world hunger :) 

20 minutes ago, blvdone said:

Bye.  I knew you were just a hater.  lol

I'm not a hater.  Like Alexandre Rotenberg and Rudy Umans, I'm also just pointing out the shortcomings in your proposal.

You could have saved a lot of time & discussion if you would have edited your original post to read:

I want stock agencies to pay us more and I have absolutely no idea how to make them do it.

5 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Why stop the photography industry, let's fight to end world hunger :) 

Yes, I gave him three examples that would have had a more dramatic impact on his bottom line... He wasn't happy. Basically his arguement is this should also work because Obama got elected.    We may have to walk away.  Pointing out his shortcomings is starting to feel like throwing stones at a crippled dog.

Lol, calling Rudy a newbie shows how little you know about the people you are trying to reach and the industry in general. You obviously haven't looked at anything that has been done already, from the coalition, to the twitter campaign, to the start-ups.

It shows that you are not someone to be taken seriously. 

4rophg.jpg

37 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

Lol, calling Rudy a newbie shows how little you know about the people you are trying to reach and the industry in general. You obviously haven't looked at anything that has been done already, from the coalition, to the twitter campaign, to the start-ups.

It shows that you are not someone to be taken seriously. 

That's Ok. I left for a while in 2019 and now it says I joined in 2019, but that's only for the forums obviously. He/she didn't know

(if somebody asks, I was never really here.............)

It's very disappointing to see some fellow contributors want me to just say "OK, I quit".  I just ignore them.  And I'm not taking any of them seriously either.  Why should I?

And none of them have any meaningful portfolio here, but talking loud like they are some major force.  lol  Sad.

I see that pattern everywhere though.  But this whole negative reaction was predictable.  I just keep moving on.

6 minutes ago, blvdone said:

It's very disappointing to see some fellow contributors want me to just say "OK, I quit".  I just ignore them.  And I'm not taking any of them seriously either.  Why should I?

And none of them have any meaningful portfolio here, but talking loud like they are some major force.  lol  Sad.

I see that pattern everywhere though.

That's why I suggested to try MSG. You have a better audience there

People will take you seriously when you act seriously and come up with something constructive. @Elliott Cowand Jr and I  (and others) tried to help you with that despite everything, but what do we know with our meaningless ports...............

All you do is piss people off with all that yelling and screaming,. The same people you need to support your cause mind you. How about that? You think that will work?

20 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I see that pattern everywhere though.  But this whole negative reaction was predictable.  I just keep moving on.

Funny how you think that someone pulling their port on protest isn't worthy of respect. you'd know that if you happened to do even a shallow bt of research on your given topic.

Lol, as I said, you don't seem to know much. I've been here since 2005-6.

So, to be objective, let's look at what you want and how to get it. SS changed their commissions back in May.

1. Get a group of contributors together, the larger the better.  DONE (see stock coalition that is actively negotiating with agencies)

2. Start a hashtag campaign. DONE (see multiple MSG topics)

3. Confront Oringer publicly (DONE, John said basically suck it up or leave)

4. Convince massively successful contributors to take part and/or boycot SS (DONE, see again multiple MSG topics)

5. Belittle and shame other contribs because they don't do everything you suggest (You nailed this one, but it too has been done)

6. Start massively irritating multiple posts complaining and speak in caps or bold speak (Gotta admit, you got this one too. Well done)

I am sure there is more... but hey, keep on moving on as you say. Easier to throw stones than actually do something.

(edit)

7. Maybe realize agencies like Picfair already do offer 50%, have an easy upload process, and were created for this exact purpose.  

Just now, blvdone said:

If you have been in this game for many years and show sarcasm instead, it's even more sad than some newbie being sarcastic.  Enjoy your holidays.

Well, you don't take good advice, don't know even the basics about what's been done and not done, and then seem to expect everyone to be outraged like you are 6plus months after the fact.

Be upset. We all support that, but rehashing things that have been tried without doing anything else isn't productive. Rehashing things without even realizing or investigating what has already been tried just makes you look petulant. Attacking others because you don't like that, is far worse than my sarcasm (IMHO).