Galleries typically take between 40 to 50 percent from the sale of artworks. Retail markup average is about 50%.

But in stock photo/video industry, we give the agency 70%, more than twice what we make.  Is that fair?  Only fair agency is Pond5.  They had fair 50% commission for many years until they changed it to 40%, but still made it fair by giving exclusive account 60%.  Why are stock agencies taking so much money unlike in any other businesses?  I think we the artists should demand fair share of sales by appealing to general public and pressuring the industry.  Economic equality is needed in this industry.  For too many years we have been exploited by agencies taking far more share of sales than in any other industries.  My goal is to create a movement among creative community to demand 50% fair share royalty from stock agencies.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-cut-do-art-dealers-galleries-make-on-selling-art

I want to launch this movement calling for stock video/photo/illustration/music agencies to pay us artists 50% royalty. Art galleries pay artists 50-60% average from art sales. General retail markup on average is 50%. Only in this stock photo/video industries, many companies normalize and get away with this predatory and exploitative low pay for artists. Shutterstock takes more than 2x what most artists make from sales. That's unacceptable in 2020. Although I was disappointed with Pond5 lowering royalty to 40% from 50%, Pond5 made it fair by paying exclusive account 60%. So, only Pond5 has been doing this right respecting us artists who create materials they sell to profit from. My goal is to create a social justice movement for artists for economic equality against those stock agencies. Equal pay for artists movement should pressure those stock agencies to change their unfair pay for artists. This movement should become Global by all artists and people who respect artists and creators. I hope this movement will move this industry to the right direction of mutual respect between artists and stock agencies instead of artists keep feeling like we are exploited. If you want to be a part of this movement, please copy and paste the statement or use your own words and use the hashtag to appeal to other artists and general public on social media!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Istock take 85%

Nevertheless, I think you should include "cheese" as a keyword for every shot of the moon.

You are being very rude.  You floated a proposition on a public forum to see if other contrtibutors think it is a good idea or not. Instead, you want to supress anyone who doesn't share your view.   I

I want to make this into an Economic Equality Movement for Artists and demand 50% royalty from all stock agencies.  #5050FairPayForArtists

This movement should become Global by all artists and people who respect artists and creators. I hope this movement will move this industry to the right direction of mutual respect between artists and stock agencies instead of artists keep feeling like we are exploited.  Equal pay for artists movement should pressure those stock agencies to change their unfair pay for artists. 

15 hours ago, Andmedia said:

Blvdone I fully support you. This is probably the only way to demand fair wages.

Thank you Andmedia.  We need to create a movement among artists and creators to put pressure on the industry.  Please spread #5050FairPayForArtists and copy and paste or use your own words why this is important.  I want to launch this movement calling for stock video/photo/illustration/music agencies to pay us artists 50% royalty. Art galleries pay artists 50-60% average from art sales. General retail markup on average is 50%. Only in this stock photo/video industries, many companies normalize and get away with this predatory and exploitative low pay for artists. Shutterstock takes more than 2x what most artists make from sales. That's unacceptable in 2020. Although I was disappointed with Pond5 lowering royalty to 40% from 50%, Pond5 made it fair by paying exclusive account 60%. So, only Pond5 has been doing this right respecting us artists who create materials they sell to profit from. My goal is to create a social justice movement for artists for economic equality against those stock agencies. Equal pay for artists movement should pressure those stock agencies to change their unfair pay for artists. This movement should become Global by all artists and people who respect artists and creators. I hope this movement will move this industry to the right direction of mutual respect between artists and stock agencies instead of artists keep feeling like we are exploited. If you want to be a part of this movement, please copy and paste the statement or use your own words and use the hashtag to appeal to other artists and general public on social media!!

#5050FairPayForArtists and copy and paste or use your own words why this is important.  I want to launch this movement calling for stock agencies to pay us artists 50% royalty. Art galleries pay artists 50-60% average from art sales. General retail markup on average is 50%. Only in this stock photo/video industries, many companies normalize and get away with this predatory and exploitative low pay for artists. Shutterstock takes more than 2x what most artists make from sales. That's unacceptable in 2020. Although I was disappointed with Pond5 lowering royalty to 40% from 50%, Pond5 made it fair by paying exclusive account 60%. So, only Pond5 has been doing this right respecting us artists who create materials they sell to profit from. My goal is to create a social justice movement for artists for economic equality against those bloodsucking stock agencies. Equal pay for artists movement should pressure those stock agencies to change their unfair pay for artists. This movement should become Global by all artists and people who respect artists and creators. I hope this movement will move this industry to the right direction of mutual respect between artists and stock agencies instead of artists keep feeling like we are exploited. If you want to be a part of this movement, please copy and paste the statement or use your own words and use the hushtag to appeal to other artists and general public.

21 hours ago, blvdone said:

I want to launch this movement calling for stock agencies to pay us artists 50% royalty.

You're just dreaming.   Shutterstock and other agencies pay so low and reject so much because they receive many more submissions than they need.  It's the law of supply and demand.   Buyers will always pick the best photo from hundreds, even thousands of similar content.  The majority of photos that Shutterstock hosts make no money for them, but they still have the expense of housing on their servers.

6 minutes ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

You're just dreaming.   Shutterstock and other agencies pay so low and reject so much because they receive many more submissions than they need.  It's the law of supply and demand.   Buyers will always pick the best photo from hundreds, even thousands of similar content.  The majority of photos that Shutterstock hosts make no money for them, but they still have the expense of housing on their servers.

Better than doing nothing than just taking what Shutterstock shove us.  We can fight back and see what happens.

1 minute ago, blvdone said:

We can fight back and see what happens.

I'm not a corporate stooge.  I'd like to be paid more too.  But your "movement" will never gain enough support to get Shutterstock's attention.  

Photo contributors are worldwide,  and those in larger populations of the third world are willing to accept much less than you.

2 minutes ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

I'm not a corporate stooge.  I'd like to be paid more too.  But your "movement" will never gain enough support to get Shutterstock's attention.  

Photo contributors are worldwide,  and those in larger populations of the third world are willing to accept much less than you.

If you don't believe in, just stay quiet.  Don't be a discouraging force to us fighting back.  There are always people who say "you can't ".

4 minutes ago, blvdone said:

If you don't believe in, just stay quiet. 

You are being very rude.  You floated a proposition on a public forum to see if other contrtibutors think it is a good idea or not. Instead, you want to supress anyone who doesn't share your view.   I'm not a troll and have said nothing to insult your character or intelligence. On a public chat group you have to accept not everybody is going to agree with you.  I'm just trying to speak the truth.  

3 hours ago, Andmedia said:

#5050FairPayForArtists and copy and paste or use your own words why this is important.  I want to launch this movement calling for stock agencies to pay us artists 50% royalty. Art galleries pay artists 50-60% average from art sales. General retail markup on average is 50%. Only in this stock photo/video industries, many companies normalize and get away with this predatory and exploitative low pay for artists. Shutterstock takes more than 2x what most artists make from sales. That's unacceptable in 2020. Although I was disappointed with Pond5 lowering royalty to 40% from 50%, Pond5 made it fair by paying exclusive account 60%. So, only Pond5 has been doing this right respecting us artists who create materials they sell to profit from. My goal is to create a social justice movement for artists for economic equality against those bloodsucking stock agencies. Equal pay for artists movement should pressure those stock agencies to change their unfair pay for artists. This movement should become Global by all artists and people who respect artists and creators. I hope this movement will move this industry to the right direction of mutual respect between artists and stock agencies instead of artists keep feeling like we are exploited. If you want to be a part of this movement, please copy and paste the statement or use your own words and use the hushtag to appeal to other artists and general public.

Thanks.  Please copy and paste on social media to spread the movement!!!

Just now, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

You are being very rude.  You floated a proposition on a public forum to see if other contrtibutors think it is a good idea or not. Instead, you want to supress anyone who doesn't share your view.   I'm not a troll and have said nothing to insult your character or intelligence. On a public chat group you have to accept not everybody is going to agree with you.  I'm just trying to speak the truth.  

When Obama announced his candidacy, many people didn't believe we'll have a black president.  My black friend didn't believe he could win and supported Hillary instead.  I convinced him that Obama can and probably win after reading his books.  He's a 2 terms president now.  Your "truth" is just your negative opinion.  We don't need that kind of disruptive force.  You only have less than 1,000 photos and are in this game for a year or two.  There are many of us who make a living from this.  You can have whatever opinion, but don't be a hater.  We don't need a newbie telling us "You can't".

3 hours ago, blvdone said:

Like I said, it's better than doing nothing and take it in your ass like you do.  Another newbie with less than 1,000 photos telling me "You can't".  lol

Boycotts have been tried, unions have been tried (The last seven months and a number of times prior) Not just here on these forums, but also on MSG and social media. Everything under the sun has been tried, but as long as there are hundreds of thousands of contributors (Whatever the number is) and only a handful are here on the forums or on social media and as long as the vast majority doesn't care what the payout is ("It's just a hobby and something is better than nothing") nothing will happen and all mutinies to overthrow the crown will be in vain.

If you would have paid attention since June 2020, you would have known all this

Btw, I am not a newbie.  I joined SS in 2008 and regardless what my number of posts says today, I do have over 16000 posts over the years. Just saying, I have seen a thing or two. Back in June I deleted a good chunk of my portfolio.  Nevertheless my port was always small because my believe was and is (as I said many times here on these forums) stock photography was doomed the moment the subscription model was introduced. ( guess by who) 

The way I see it, you have two choices; You take it like a man or woman and make the best of it, like some did,  or you look for greener pastures.

9 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Many of us boycotted SS and switched off our ports back in July. I did for two weeks and missed. SS ignored us. 

Yes I mentioned that in my reply

SS's philosophy is "don't let the door hit you in the rear tootsie"

and so was IS's a number of years ago

and so will be everybody else's