about photography in general

Hello everybody. I want to talk not about microstock photography, but about photography in general
The more I learn about photography, the less I like any photo. Before, I could admire photography, it evoked some kind of emotional response. And now I look at the photos and see changes in saturation, brightness, changes in the blue color curve, I see some kind of composition law, backlight, foreground lighting, etc. I can't admire a photograph of a forest, my brain starts to work from where the sun's rays are in this forest, is it a third-party filter or manual work in Photoshop.

Someone experienced the same emotions? It took place, why?

I recognize that, although I can still enjoy good photos. You admire the craftsmanship of a photographer more. I think you always have. A musician, writer, stage actor, artist will also look differently at the work of a colleague.
By photographing I pay more attention to my surroundings and I enjoy things that before I photographed a lot, I would have passed by without looking.

Hi, I think this feeling will pass soon. It can be compared to playing a guitar or synthesizer. When you master the instrument, your fingers hurt and you often don't like the result. Then the moment comes when you start playing for fun, not paying attention to different details. Many things will be done automatically, giving you pleasure. All these filters are not just invented, there are requests for them. I am new to Shutterstock ))

Evgeniia,

Just to clarify, is your lack of enjoyment in photography the result of your tendency to over analyze an image (due to your knowledge of photography) or the "dishonesty" seen in the unbelievable images produced today in Photoshop? 

I suffer from a little of both.  However, I still can admire a well composed image that has been effectively post processed to enhance the positive aspects of the image.  Admittedly, micro stock photography does not cater to this type of image.  It, like a lot of things today, suffers from a lack of "truthfulness", something that seems to permeate todays culture.  Nobody likes to be lied to.  Sorry, I digress.     

7 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

One thing is to shoot photography and another thing is to shoot for microstock.

Only when I started shooting for book covers did I rediscover my love for photography. 

My latest image accepted at Arcangel, which would never be accepted on here and i don't fking care! :D 

d42edc4b-eea1-49ec-852b-99a308af3d6b.jpg

I couldn't agree more.

I also think that shot is perfect!! (for a variety of reasons)

Don't worry Evgeniia. It a phase on the way to new avenues

I rediscovered pinhole and vintage cameras.

Do I think these shots are perfect? well I don't know, but some seem to think so.

Microstock? Not even close and cold day in hell before I sell these for $0.10 or $10.00

Those pinholes are perfectly in focus, but not sharp and that would drive the AI crazy anyway

Coconut Grove AlleyRZFBSS.jpg

1938 Agfa Isolette. The back side of an historic theater in Miami (always go where no one wants to go)

Everglades Flamingo-6-Z69-052020RZFBshutterstock.jpg

pinhole on film  Everglades. Notice that the horizon is smack in the middle Oh my, what to do now? (most pinhole cameras have no viewfinder. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it)

PH Jacksonville 071901RZShutterstock.jpg

pinhole on film Just a street in Florida

6 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Hello everybody. I want to talk not about microstock photography, but about photography in general
The more I learn about photography, the less I like any photo. Before, I could admire photography, it evoked some kind of emotional response. And now I look at the photos and see changes in saturation, brightness, changes in the blue color curve, I see some kind of composition law, backlight, foreground lighting, etc. I can't admire a photograph of a forest, my brain starts to work from where the sun's rays are in this forest, is it a third-party filter or manual work in Photoshop.

Someone experienced the same emotions? It took place, why?

Microstock is not art and everything isn't perfectly sharp and well lighted, sometimes we want shadows. 😉

Yes, years ago I somehow changed from taking photos of just things I liked or thought interesting, or sometimes very strange creations, to driving along and saying "hey if I shoot that, can I sell it". Totally ripped out the reason I loved photography to start with. To see and to sometimes share.

I will say, I am a bit more critical of my own now, but I also got over it when I started to feel that Microstock was ruining my enjoyment. The declining payments and returns for work (WORK) have encouraged me to return to just having fun (enjoyment). 

2 hours ago, Steve Bower said:

Evgeniia,

Just to clarify, is your lack of enjoyment in photography the result of your tendency to over analyze an image (due to your knowledge of photography) or the "dishonesty" seen in the unbelievable images produced today in Photoshop? 

I suffer from a little of both.  However, I still can admire a well composed image that has been effectively post processed to enhance the positive aspects of the image.  Admittedly, micro stock photography does not cater to this type of image.  It, like a lot of things today, suffers from a lack of "truthfulness", something that seems to permeate todays culture.  Nobody likes to be lied to.  Sorry, I digress.     

Yes, that covers it pretty well. I might add that digital as well as the ability to edit on a computer. I look back at old film photos and slides and I'm nearly horrified at how soft, flat and grainy they are. Digital has created a bunch of technical obsessive pixel peepers. I'm glad I could find a partial cure but just going back to shooting for what I like, not thinking of money, or will someone else like that?

I now have a "not suitable for stock" attitude and I'm much healthier mentally. (maybe that's not true, but I think I am?)  LOL

The same happened with playing music, always trying to get better, be in a more popular group, making more money. I found some people who just played, the girl could barely sing, but she was creative and fun. The guitar player and I both wrote things, not pop, but whatever? No one said, hey, play this for your part, we were basically writing our own music and maybe not the most sophisticated, complex and perfect group, but We Had Fun!

One of the last collaborations, we re-enacted the Beatles roof top concert, playing the same music, on the roof of a theater. The manager locked the doors and to our delight the police were down below, trying to get up there. Kind of downtown in the city, in the hippie and college area. We then played the intermissions for a triple feature: All Beatles Movies. Some promotion, but more about fun.

Is this stock? Does anyone want or need this image? No, but I liked making it.

Mc-Gregor-Bridge-and-Buildings-Web.jpg

Don't lose the fun or the joy that made you want to start doing something in the first place, music, art, photography, or anything else. I mean like bird watching, gardening, fishing... kind of anything!

3 hours ago, Steve Bower said:

Evgeniia,

The first. My brain automatically starts analyzing the photo. And when the brain finishes the analysis, then there is no longer any strength for other emotions.

49 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

One thing is to shoot photography and another thing is to shoot for microstock.

Now we are not talking about microstocks. 3 years ago I was looking at photos on the Internet in pin-up style (not microstock) and I wanted to do something in this direction. The shooting turned out to be a failure. My reference did not match the result at all, but at that moment I was happy, an incredible feeling of joy from the shooting process. 

Failed pin-up:)

pinup.thumb.jpg.fe189bb5fc42c607cebece8f7329b268.jpg

Now I look at photos on the Internet and do not feel like repeating. I can't even tell whether I like it or not. Only fixing that something like this has already been seen and the internal analysis of the photo is automatically turned on.

Forgive me for not answering everyone, but I read all the comments with great interest.