Ive got a rough 50/50 mixture of both (deliberately) and have noticed no difference at all in high quality 264 vs prores on any of the sites.

Given the difference of 20 mins vs 1hr to upload each clip between the formats, more and more im settling back down to h.264.

I guess if you have a fast internet connection and dont mind paying for more local storage to archive prores is fine but im struggling to justify it.

FWIW of my top 10 selling video clips, every single one of them is h.264.

Quality always matters to some people, doesn't it?  Why not ensure that a discriminating customer won't choose someone else's footage over yours because of quality, whether true or just perceived. There is no downside to submitting ProRes unless you have to pay extra for data and need to keep file sizes small.  But if that is the case, that person probably won't be successful at stock footage anyway.  Standard ProRes is 10-bit 4:2:2 with a decent bit rate, so it is good enough.  No need to go to HQ.

10 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Quality always matters to some people, doesn't it?  Why not ensure that a discriminating customer won't choose someone else's footage over yours because of quality, whether true or just perceived. There is no downside to submitting ProRes unless you have to pay extra for data and need to keep file sizes small.  But if that is the case, that person probably won't be successful at stock footage anyway.  Standard ProRes is 10-bit 4:2:2 with a decent bit rate, so it is good enough.  No need to go to HQ.

Thanks for the answer I will stick with the standard 422 then! I was asking because I have bought the new Canon R5 with mainly videos in mind and I would like to make the most of it and the quality of the footage.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 11:04 PM, Doug Jensen said:

Though in principle I agree with you Doug but on SS I don't know how a potential buyer can see if it is a 10bit 4:2:2 file. So long as it's a decent file size and relevant contents my understanding is that the clip should be acceptable.

I find that ProRes files are 2.5 times bigger than Photo JPEG set to 90% quality and 1.25 times bigger than ProRes LT. When you are uploading 20 clips or so at a time then the upload time does matter. In comparison, Pond5 upload speed tends to be a bit slower and 20 clips 10-20 sec long in ProRes can take a very long time to upload there. So, when you are uploading to multiple platforms file size does become relevant. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.