Jump to content

Level 4 (30% royalty) video contributors will lose about $1,200/year with the new royalty reset system next year.


Recommended Posts

Maybe we should unionize and negotiate minimum share of our royalty with the entire industry.  Comparing to all other retail industry, our wholesale share should be no less than 40%.  Maybe we'll create a social movement to appeal to general public especially in the creative industry to bring the social justice for stock photo/video/music/graphics/etc creators.  They do that for farmers in remote countries to urge fair wages for them through social movement/boycott etc.  We can do that too.  Let's create a better and fair world for all of us, not only for a few at the top making $millions from stock option etc.  Fair share of royalty for creators now!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did some calculation.  My RPD for video is about $23.  So, level 1 at 15% is $11.5 less than $23.  Level 1 is from 1--10 download.  $11.5 x 10 = $115.  Based on the same calculation, at level 2, 20%

When you aim the camera and press the shutter button, right? 😋 No, on second thought, I'd back up and say it really begins when you decide WHAT to shoot. It's a waste of time to shoot something t

Photo sales will be irrelevant from January. 95% of photo sales will bring in 10-14 cents a sale. There are hardly any other downloads now. For those who are happy with that then things will just cont

Posted Images

Let us know when you actually get up off the couch and put your plan into motion.  I sincerely wish you the best of luck and I look forward to hearing when you have an organization ready for others to join.  Do you have a target data in mind when this might be ready to roll out, or are you going to leave the whole thing to others to put together?  I think you should do it since you have the most passion and seemingly endless amounts of time to devote to the cause.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

 

Hypocrites.  You couldn't buy an iPhone for $1200 or almost anything else you buy for the price you pay today if it wasn't for manufacturers taking their production wherever people are wlling to work for less.  YOU as a consumer reap the benefit of lower wages.  Why should stock be any different?  Do you think SS should pay you extra just because you think you deserve more income than someone else who is willing to do the same work for less?  Get real.

Nice rant.  But no idea wtf you're ranting about.

Nobody is talking about production or movement of production so no idea where that came from.

Maybe you should try to read and understand before going out with incoherent nonsense?

Still, im sure you'll be over the moon getting $4 for 4k clips here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Those are the countries SS target for contributors now with advertising.

People who will accept far far lower commissions than others.

 

My "rant" was in response to this comment.  Business will go where labor is cheapest.  And as consumers we all benefit.  But as laborers, who hate the idea that someone will do our work for less, that is just a fact of life.  In our case, "production" is the taking and submitting of photos and video by contributors.  Perhaps it is you who should read closer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

My "rant" was in response to this comment.  Business will go where labor is cheapest.  And as consumers we all benefit.  But as laborers, who hate the idea that someone will do our work for less, that is just a fact of life.  In our case, "production" is the taking and submitting of photos and video by contributors.  Perhaps it is you who should read closer.

And I need to add, that buyers will go where the price is lowest, which forces agencies to cut and cut, to keep their business and market share. Reducing costs is one of the ways that is done. Paying less for the product the agency sells is a common way to cut expenses. Part of the lower value, lower pay for us, is the lower prices demanded by buyers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

And I need to add, that buyers will go where the price is lowest, which forces agencies to cut and cut, to keep their business and market share. Reducing costs is one of the ways that is done. Paying less for the product the agency sells is a common way to cut expenses. Part of the lower value, lower pay for us, is the lower prices demanded by buyers.

 

Correct.  And I need to add that an agency can charge a premium if they can offer something of value for that extra cost.  Faster searches, less time wasted sifting through irrelevant search results, fewer garbage images that have to be sorted through, better codecs for downloads, etc. are things that many customers would be willing to pay extra for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Correct.  And I need to add that an agency can charge a premium if they can offer something of value for that extra cost.  Faster searches, less time wasted sifting through irrelevant search results, fewer garbage images that have to be sorted through, better codecs for downloads, etc. are things that many customers would be willing to pay extra for. 

I'd like it if I had some of the "extra value" kind of images. When does this plan start? 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

I'd like it if I had some of the "extra value" kind of images. When does this plan start? 😉

 

When you aim the camera and press the shutter button, right? 😋

No, on second thought, I'd back up and say it really begins when you decide WHAT to shoot. It's a waste of time to shoot something that has no commercial value regardless of how technically excellent it might be.  So if someone wants images that will command "extra vlaue" from customers, they need to think about what to shoot; then have technical excellence when they shoot and edit it; and then add superior metadata so customers will find it.  That is a recipe for success.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is currently a political discussion going on here in Germany.

It's about farmers no longer earning money from pig farming, for example. They receive 1.30 euros per kilogram of pork. In the discounter/supermarket, the kilogram of minced meat costs about 6.00 euros on average. So the margins of the big supermarket chains are huge.

The farmers have protested. The discounters/supermarkets have reacted after a long time. They have made the meat in the supermarkets more expensive - consumers now pay more. With appropriate signs it was pointed out that the increase in price has come about because the farmers earn too little.

But: Not a cent of this money has reached the farmers. They still receive 1.30 euros. For consumers, however, it has become more expensive.

Guess where the money has ended up? Correct! At the discounters/supermarkets. The owners of the supermarket chains have been among the richest people in Europe and the world for many many years. Lidl, Aldi... 40 billion euros and more belongs to each owner familiy.

The iPhone costs 1,200 dollars for the consumer. What the production costs, we do not know. But what is certain is that the people in the Far East who produce the iPhones are not among the rich. The jump from the roofs of the production halls.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

There is currently a political discussion going on here in Germany.

It's about farmers no longer earning money from pig farming, for example. They receive 1.30 euros per kilogram of pork. In the discounter/supermarket, the kilogram of minced meat costs about 6.00 euros on average. So the margins of the big supermarket chains are huge.

The farmers have protested. The discounters/supermarkets have reacted after a long time. They have made the meat in the supermarkets more expensive - consumers now pay more. With appropriate signs it was pointed out that the increase in price has come about because the farmers earn too little.

But: Not a cent of this money has reached the farmers. They still receive 1.30 euros. For consumers, however, it has become more expensive.

Guess where the money has ended up? Correct! At the discounters/supermarkets. The owners of the supermarket chains have been among the richest people in Europe and the world for many many years. Lidl, Aldi... 40 billion euros and more belongs to each owner familiy.

The iPhone costs 1,200 dollars for the consumer. What the production costs, we do not know. But what is certain is that the people in the Far East who produce the iPhones are not among the rich. The jump from the roofs of the production halls.

 

iphone production costs are well documented (you can google it). Production costs for an iphone 11 pro max are around $490. Then you have the cost of software and software maintenance and you have royalties going to companies like Qualcomm who own the patents to some of the hardware and software used in the phone. Then there is the supply chain cost, marketing cost, cost of sales, ongoing R&D, etc. etc.. Of course, Apple is extremely profitable and much more so than its competitors. That is because consumers are willing to pay a premium to have an Apple which, itself, is a function of Apple's investment in branding and marketing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

There is currently a political discussion going on here in Germany.

It's about farmers no longer earning money from pig farming, for example. They receive 1.30 euros per kilogram of pork. In the discounter/supermarket, the kilogram of minced meat costs about 6.00 euros on average. So the margins of the big supermarket chains are huge.

The farmers have protested. The discounters/supermarkets have reacted after a long time. They have made the meat in the supermarkets more expensive - consumers now pay more. With appropriate signs it was pointed out that the increase in price has come about because the farmers earn too little.

But: Not a cent of this money has reached the farmers. They still receive 1.30 euros. For consumers, however, it has become more expensive.

Guess where the money has ended up? Correct! At the discounters/supermarkets. The owners of the supermarket chains have been among the richest people in Europe and the world for many many years. Lidl, Aldi... 40 billion euros and more belongs to each owner familiy.

The iPhone costs 1,200 dollars for the consumer. What the production costs, we do not know. But what is certain is that the people in the Far East who produce the iPhones are not among the rich. The jump from the roofs of the production halls.

 

I like German sausages.  I may get some from a store today.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 10:07 AM, Stopped_clock said:

Just hit level 4! 

oh the irony 🤣🤣

image.png.57753c3a8bf683abd5f3539c46708749.png

I hit level 4 two months ago though I only offer images. It was a completely worthless, useless and frustrating change. It made little difference to my progress here. If SS can't sometimes sell our photos as worthwhile single sales then the whole new level setup is a farce.I actually don't care if they set us back to Level 1, with all sales now being low subscriptions there is absolutely no incentive to try and climb in the course of 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:
On 12/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, lonndubh said:

It will be interesting to see how many people are prepared to react to the new level reset  by either deleting files or no longer uploading from Jan 1.

How exactly do you think you will get that information?

Others here just make it up along the way?

2-days-left.jpg

Days until the eve of destruction.

When I was in sales, the advise was, when things are slow, instead of giving up, just work harder. When things are going good, instead of sitting back, work smarter. (and maybe I just made that up, but you get the point?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

How exactly do you think you will get that information?

There will probably be a thread asking this Doug. Only not everyone is on this forum. 🙂
I think almost everyone has already made that decision during the year after June.
Only when other Stocksites start doing much better than Shutterstock, more people will leave Shutter or upload nothing anymore I think
I am a newbie here, but I understand that many went from I Stock to Shutterstock at the time and stayed here until now?

53 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

 

When I was in sales, the advise was, when things are slow, instead of giving up, just work harder. When things are going good, instead of sitting back, work smarter. (and maybe I just made that up, but you get the point?)

Good point. 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

There will probably be a thread asking this Doug. Only not everyone is on this forum.

Exactly my point.  There is no way we'll be privy to this information.  A few comments here and there on the forum about closing accounts or boycotting or whatever is meaningless in the big picture.  And what difference does it make what other people do anyway?  I won't even be curious about it.  I know what I'm going to do regardless of what other people do.  If I followed the advice of all the naysayers here I'd have thrown in the towel long ago and been much poorer for it.  Stay the course.  Things will work out fine for anyone who is already doing things right.  My December 2020 has already beaten my December 2019 by almost 15%.  The reset in January will be just a setback for a few weeks as I climb back up to 30%, not a major disaster.  Do I want to be reset?  No.  But I'm not going to cry myself to sleep about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

How exactly do you think you will get that information?

I don't want the info at all. The term "it will be interesting to see" wasn't meant literally. I was simply wondering aloud whether the combination of a Level reset plus a drift to subscription Sales only will make people move their image files elsewhere.I think video is somewhat different even if low returns are starting there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, lonndubh said:

I don't want the info at all. The term "it will be interesting to see" wasn't meant literally. I was simply wondering aloud whether the combination of a Level reset plus a drift to subscription Sales only will make people move their image files elsewhere.I think video is somewhat different even if low returns are starting there too.

My apologies, I thought the quote was from @blvdone so I was referring to his made up numbers, not your question and musing over the future.

I think most people who didn't like the new program, have made up their minds already and left along the way. I can agree with you, that some people will wait until January, because, why not? We all started at the level we were at and many didn't have to suffer the pain of level 1 and level 2. There will probably be some more going away, but not as many as the hasty people who dropped out in in anger, in June and July.

My question, and not for you or because of you, is how long will people who have disabled all their images and closed their accounts, keep coming to the forum to try to convince others to join them? That and maybe someone here can explain how making less is so terrible that people will decide instead to make nothing. How does that make sense?

Like this: "you took away my income, that I need so much, and depend on, to feed the family and make a living, so I'm quitting, and I'll make nothing." Who's hurt by that? Not SS that's for sure. How is 100% of nothing, better than 20% of something?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Good point. 😀

Thanks, and I'll point out, advise and philosophy come cheap?

July was the slowest month of the year for me back then. I went fishing and golfing. Which leads to "Good advise is only good, when it's taken and used. Otherwise it's just words."

Or as someone great said, in psychology, or a bunch of people in different ways: "It's easier to act your way into a way of thinking, than think your way into a way of acting." AKA Actions speak louder than words? 👍

He said, while reading forums, wasting time, looking out the window and thinking of what things I should be doing, or photos I should be making, instead of sitting here reading a forum?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...