Shutterstock’s rejections are a joke

The image 2 has little bit too strong unsharp mask halo (that white edge) around the edges of the hill.
It's something that could annoy the customer literally asking their money back, because fixing over sharpened images is actually not that easy. Noise reduction is easier, but it's a job that should be done by the photographer. There are many good plugins for noise reduction, you should look those up.

What comes to the last image, you might need a model release for those folks, if you didn't already get it. It wouldn't be nice to suddenly find out that your face is in some random ad in television. The building also might be something that needs a permission to be used?

Good luck. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rejections were both justified. Neither of these images is sharp. The first one looks like an anti-noise filter was applied and made everything blurry. I am not sure about posterization in the

Gerald Brannon,  How about this?  My image of a "covid vaccine syringe" was rejected for focus and noise/film grain.   I made absolutely no re-edits but only flipped it from horizontal to vertical.  P

I''ve accidentally submitted the same photo (or in some cases, whole batch) twice by mistake due to my dodgy filing here and ive had multiple instances of the same image getting both rejected AND acce

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jane McIlroy said:

I'm  sorry to disillusion you, but these photos are full of noise and artifacts, easy to see if you zoom to 100%.

The first one, yes. But not the two others imo. The image of the building can be rejected because of property restrictions.

8 hours ago, John Mark Dougan said:

What an absolute joke. I am new to Shutter Stock.

John, I would suggest you try another agency. Almost all others are accepting images that Shutterstock reject (exept for Bigstock - which is also Shutterstock, they are extremely stickt, But I don’t upload til Bigstock any more because of too few sales - almost none).

On 12/22/2020 at 3:27 AM, David Calvert said:

I find that photos that feature large quantities of foliage in them do get rejected because of 'noise'. AI obviously doesn't understand what foliage is.

I have wondered about that, from my experience. At the same time, in general at least, I have to sometimes admit I am "in love" with my own image. But if I still don't agree with a rejection after my re-look at the image, I sometimes try reworking post and resubmitting,, and sometimes am then successful.

(Just for about me: I also do not do this more than as a hobby I suppose. Not trying hard at it, stock)

23 hours ago, John Mark Dougan said:

Okay, I'll take the criticism, if some feedback comes with it. ;)

Here are the two images - I reduced sharpening and added some noise reduction.  Thank you guys for your feedback. A side note, BTW... I would kill to go to Northern Ireland. It's where my family is from. 

DSC09489-HDR-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.6b4bdd5292317d3abb84377725e70519.jpg

DSC09899-Edit.thumb.jpg.91f8ca40f20dba131f1a517705d7edf4.jpg

When somebody complains about a rejection for noise, I always zoom straight in on the blue sky. If there is any noise in the picture, that's where it'll be. Your noise reduction has worked ok on the sky, but I'm just wondering if you should dial it back a bit on the land - it's just on the verge of being a bit too plastic-looking.

Hope you can make it to NI some day!

I have a rule of thumb when evaluating an image for sharpness and /or amount of noise reduction applied:

If you look, at 100% size, at a part in the image that is supposed to be in focus, and it makes your eyes hurt so you can't look at the detail properly, then it's either not sharp, of there is too much noise reduction which makes it impossible for your eyes to focus on.

One just has to be honest to themselves with that, and sometimes we're too much in love with our perfect pic to admit that it's not so perfect after all.

Lately more than usual rejections on keywords due to scientific names.
And also twice the same photo by title (also scientific name). After I only entered the English name, it was approved.
There was always a day in between before they were inspected again.
Shutter is very slow. Adobe and Alamy are currently faster in approvals.

shut ref.jpg

shut rej.jpg

29 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Lately more than usual rejections on keywords due to scientific names.
And also twice the same photo by title (also scientific name). After I only entered the English name, it was approved.
There was always a day in between before they were inspected again.
Shutter is very slow. Adobe and Alamy are currently faster in approvals.

Scientific names have always been a problem for me on Shutterstock. I have to write them in quotation marks, otherwise they will be rejected in 30% of cases. Never had one rejected for name since I use the quotation marks.

Reviews are indeed very slow. Especially around the weekend I recently had to wait up to 4 days.
I have heard multiple times that SS has outsourced the review process to India. Always believed that was just speculation, but seeing as how Covid has gotten out of hand in India and people are dropping dead like flies, that might very well be true and the reason for the very slow review process right now.

1 hour ago, Firn said:

Scientific names have always been a problem for me on Shutterstock. I have to write them in quotation marks, otherwise they will be rejected in 30% of cases. Never had one rejected for name since I use the quotation marks.

Reviews are indeed very slow. Especially around the weekend I recently had to wait up to 4 days.
I have heard multiple times that SS has outsourced the review process to India. Always believed that was just speculation, but seeing as how Covid has gotten out of hand in India and people are dropping dead like flies, that might very well be true and the reason for the very slow review process right now.

Yes it happened more than once. Because a good part of my photos are about insects and plants, I have more than average dealing with scientific names. The rejections lately are really striking.
Perhaps that also has to do with new or fewer reviewers in India. It also seems that the automatic reviewer has disappeared. Sometimes the photo was approved or rejected within a second. That doesn't happen anymore.

India is a very big country. I wonder if it's the same everywhere. We also have colleagues here on the forum in India.

51 minutes ago, Firn said:

I saw a clear correlation between holidays in India and review delays on SS for the last year or so. So I think the speculation that the reviews moved here might very well be true and won't be surprising considering their "customer service" is clearly based out of India.

As for covid, it was bad in April and May but I didn't see any major review delays then (except during the holidays). Right now, pretty much the entire country is recovering quick and businesses are returning to a state of half normalcy. So to see these delays right now, especially when there aren't any holidays, strikes me as quite strange.

4 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

As for covid, it was bad in April and May but I didn't see any major review delays then (except during the holidays). Right now, pretty much the entire country is recovering quick and businesses are returning to a state of half normalcy. So to see these delays right now, especially when there aren't any holidays, strikes me as quite strange.

For me reviews have already been very slow in May (though I don't know when exactly Indian holidays are, so maybe that was a correlation with them.)
I am glad to hear that the country is recovering! India hasn't been much in the news here for the last couple of days, but at least till the end of May the reports made it sound like the situation was really bad and I didn't expect a quick recovery in such a short time.

54 minutes ago, Firn said:

For me reviews have already been very slow in May (though I don't know when exactly Indian holidays are, so maybe that was a correlation with them.)
I am glad to hear that the country is recovering! India hasn't been much in the news here for the last couple of days, but at least till the end of May the reports made it sound like the situation was really bad and I didn't expect a quick recovery in such a short time.

I think it's also slow because the automatic reviewer is gone. No more review within a second. No numbers 6/10 - 10/10.

That puts a lot more work on the reviewers, making it slower.

2 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I think it's also slow because the automatic reviewer is gone. No more review within a second. No numbers 6/10 - 10/10.

That puts a lot more work on the reviewers, making it slower.

I'm not complaining. Unlike earlier, when if 1 image was rejected everything in a batch of 20 got rejected, now I see that individual files are being rejected/approved according to some kind of merit. In my last 2 batches of 20, had 3-4 rejections. That's not so bad.

3 hours ago, Firn said:

but at least till the end of May the reports made it sound like the situation was really bad and I didn't expect a quick recovery in such a short time.

May was almost apocalyptic to the point where myself and everyone I know knew someone who died of covid. But the numbers have dropped so drastically so quickly that I don't really know what to think.