Shutterstock’s rejections are a joke

Thanks for all of your replies, obviously I still have a lot to learn as I’m just starting out in photography since high school (graduated in 2012). I never thought to zoom in to see if it was in focus or not. When I get some free time I’ll, I’ll try again with some better images. Those were taken with my iPhone se (new version) but thanks to Christmas I now have a canon t6i so maybe that’ll help.

thanks again for your input and critiques.

2 hours ago, Gerald Brannon said:

Thanks for all of your replies, obviously I still have a lot to learn as I’m just starting out in photography since high school (graduated in 2012). I never thought to zoom in to see if it was in focus or not. When I get some free time I’ll, I’ll try again with some better images. Those were taken with my iPhone se (new version) but thanks to Christmas I now have a canon t6i so maybe that’ll help.

thanks again for your input and critiques.

That will help. 😉 Success!!

Today I suddenly had  several noise/chrominance or noise/posterization  rejections. Something has changed in SS bots or reviewers standards ?  Sometimes in the past i have had "not in focus" rejections at first upload, but not  with this perseverance, 5 out of 5 not accepted also in the second upload. When ( just to try) I use  a denoise it also become  "out of focus" too, as second cause of rejections. I'm starting to get tired  .....

2 hours ago, luca pbl said:

Today I suddenly had  several noise/chrominance or noise/posterization  rejections. Something has changed in SS bots or reviewers standards ?  Sometimes in the past i have had "not in focus" rejections at first upload, but not  with this perseverance, 5 out of 5 not accepted also in the second upload. When ( just to try) I use  a denoise it also become  "out of focus" too, as second cause of rejections. I'm starting to get tired  .....

Please an advice. In the end for test I tried to upload more or less the same photo taken with a small canon M10, 20 "( which gives a bad porthole effect to the close shot in the corners), and it was accepted immediately. It can be a sudden problem with the len of the canon fullframe mirrorless  for all these "noise chrominance" ?  Thanks to those who can answer me.

52 minutes ago, luca pbl said:

Please an advice. In the end for test I tried to upload more or less the same photo taken with a small canon M10, 20 "( which gives a bad porthole effect to the close shot in the corners), and it was accepted immediately. It can be a sudden problem with the len of the canon fullframe mirrorless  for all these "noise chrominance" ?  Thanks to those who can answer me.

Maybe you should try this in the section for critique. At the very least, no one knows what the image is or what it looks like and we aren't the review computer. I assume most people here are not psychic either. Unless you post a full size image or at least a 100% crop, answering is impossible.

What is porthole effect. 😀

Porthole Free Stock Photo - Public Domain Pictures

I only ever upload to Shutterstock once, the same photos are accepted at all my other stock sites. The AI is all over the place with Approved / Not approved. It probably doesn't help that the majority of my photos are shot in low light conditions. Shutterstock doesn't pay enough to worry about resubmitting it. When they changed the payment structure I added 2 more stock sites to my portfolio and both are doing well.

I took early retirement last month thanks to covid redundancies at work and will work on branching out my stock sites and perhaps do more events and family shoots in my local area.

7 hours ago, Merrillie Redden said:

I only ever upload to Shutterstock once, the same photos are accepted at all my other stock sites. The AI is all over the place with Approved / Not approved. It probably doesn't help that the majority of my photos are shot in low light conditions. Shutterstock doesn't pay enough to worry about resubmitting it. When they changed the payment structure I added 2 more stock sites to my portfolio and both are doing well.

I took early retirement last month thanks to covid redundancies at work and will work on branching out my stock sites and perhaps do more events and family shoots in my local area.

That's reasonable and you will find over time that sometimes SS takes things that others will reject.

Low light is a challenge and probably why you get more rejections here. I don't have modern cameras and even though I've enjoyed low light photography, back to film days, the results are generally not good for Microstock. I don't mean being accepted, but buyers also. Sometimes, some images will sell, but in general, buyers want bright colors, sharp focus, few shadows and images that jump out.

Before anyone says something, B&W also sell. 😁

• 4 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 3:35 AM, HodagMedia said:

That's reasonable and you will find over time that sometimes SS takes things that others will reject.

Low light is a challenge and probably why you get more rejections here. I don't have modern cameras and even though I've enjoyed low light photography, back to film days, the results are generally not good for Microstock. I don't mean being accepted, but buyers also. Sometimes, some images will sell, but in general, buyers want bright colors, sharp focus, few shadows and images that jump out.

Before anyone says something, B&W also sell. 😁

I sell plenty of sunrises and funnily enough the night time sky shots are the biggest sellers. I could use some models though but they would need to be free at the rate this pays lol.