What’s the point of SS accepting cell phone / mobile phone pics (editorial) if they will reject them anyway

To be fair i can see noise in that.

Not all cellphones are equal.

A lot of people (not you) are trying to submit utter garbage with 5-10 year old cell phones which rightly gets rejected.

That said we do know "focus" is just a nonsense reason for a rejection and has nothing to do with focus.

In other news, wtf is that person wearing?!

You know if you hold your finger on the screen you can set your focus point before taking the photo, and then once it locks (yellow box will fix in place) you can run your finger up or down the screen to adjust your lighting. I have quite a few iphone images accepted. I only use the phone in places where a full frame camera would be awkward or I don't have my camera with me though.

I admit that I’m a newbie at smartphone camera and would like to use it more often at sensitive places (such as airports where this was taken). My DSLR and especially the 70-300mm lens is just too much of an attention grabber. I (naively) thought the iPhone X which I purchased this month would be good enough but I guess the 12 is better for low light places. I need to play around with the settings.

The subject was standing in the check in queue at bajaras airport in Madrid for a flight to China. Wearing full on covid protection (to later discard after the flight). Matching luggage. Thought was interesting and topical.

Let’s see if Alamy will accept it, seems more suited for their buyers. 

Alexandre a large number in my port editorials are from my iPhone 5s and were readily accepted  until the silly focus and noise rejections. Some of which are my biggest sellers. I don't bother now for a base of 10 cents although I had a 31 and 23 cents sub this week which I think is because at the time of taking them they were current and as often said if the buyer needs that image then it is sold ...

55 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I did the same in Bangkok and the last UK flight before quarantine.

The batch has earned me 20c on here and $0 on Alamy.  Dont plan your retirement.

Can the apple things shoot in RAW for photos?  Better option if so.

53 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I admit that I’m a newbie at smartphone camera and would like to use it more often at sensitive places (such as airports where this was taken). My DSLR and especially the 70-300mm lens is just too much of an attention grabber. I (naively) thought the iPhone X which I purchased this month would be good enough but I guess the 12 is better for low light places. I need to play around with the settings.

The subject was standing in the check in queue at bajaras airport in Madrid for a flight to China. Wearing full on covid protection (to later discard after the flight). Matching luggage. Thought was interesting and topical.

Alex, I wrote about how to get smartphone and gopro pics (which are similar technology) passed review on an earlier thread. I used to have similar problems with GoPro images.

Hopefully this may help:

I need help with my rejected photos - Introductions and New Contributor Questions - Shutterstock - Forum

•  
  •  

I thought I would add some tips here for the OP or anyone else using smartphones and GoPro cameras on how you may get them accepted for stock agencies.

1. Only shoot with a lot of light  to lower noise. 

2. Do not add any additional post processing. Most of the time these sort of cameras look good anyway. But do not increase saturation or lighten the photos because this will exaggerate all the imperfections.

3. Do not use noise reduction filters or sharpening tools for the same reason.

4. Use the blur tool in PS or similar software and go gently around all areas EXCEPT the main focus area to smooth out all the noise. This will give the appearance of a much more smoother surface and often helps with reviewers.

5. Try and really nail the main focus area. 

6. Downsize your photo. Photos always look better and imperfections less noticeable when photos are smaller.  When focus is borderline, then this really helps. 

39 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

1. Only shoot with a lot of light  to lower noise. 

I think this is the most important thing of all. Alex's image above was taken indoors and the light is not adequate. Outdoors, you'd have better chance of having enough light.

Disclaimer - I've never submitted a smartphone pic or video since my phone was an old model when I got it three (?) years ago, and it's just not sufficient, IMHO, for stock pics of video even in the best conditions.

3 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

How are people doing with smartphone pics here?

I actually do very well, I'd say 90% accepted. I think in the photo you posted light was way too low, so you have a long exposure resulting in motion blur. Also very noisy. If you have a night mode on the iPhone 10 I would use it, it does miracles on my Huawei p30, taking plenty of photos and stacking them together. Good for night shots but also in low light.

stock-photo-rome-italy-december-food-del

On 12/19/2020 at 1:53 PM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I’ll pull out my tripod next time at the airport 🤪

Surely they should have a lower technical standard for editorials.

Below captured with iPhone X

63649834-9733-445C-8203-F5E45619B94B.jpeg

Shutterstock doesn't care what you use (phone, DSLR, P&S, etc), as long as the photos meet the quality standards.

Sorry but the photo you posted isn't even close.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:53 PM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I’ll pull out my tripod next time at the airport 🤪

Surely they should have a lower technical standard for editorials.

Below captured with iPhone X

63649834-9733-445C-8203-F5E45619B94B.jpeg

Alexandre, I understand you are new to the game. Just keep shooting and uploading, things will get better. Never give up. Here's a reference blog that can definitely help you:

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Ackab Photography said:

Alexandre, I understand you are new to the game. Just keep shooting and uploading, things will get better. Never give up. Here's a reference blog that can definitely help you:

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/

Have a nice day.

That guy is a giant turd who doesn’t know what he’s taking about!