Is it possible that Creative community is boycotting Shutterstock?

Sales at Shutterstock have been soft since they forced us the notorious January reset and new unfair commission level system.  In this day and age of social justice and income equality, if I was a creator in need of stock material, I wouldn't buy from Shutterstock in solidarity with those creators who supply materials here.  I wonder if that may be the reason the sales here has been soft compared to Adobe Stock and Pond5.  If that's the case, Shutterstock has to come correct with us contributors who supply what they sell.  I wouldn't be surprised if our fellow creators are using Adobe Stock and Pond5 instead of Shutterstock in protest and solidarity with us.  I hope so.  They need to make video 35% level much lower so that many of us can get 35% for like the second half of the year.  Their new system punishes everybody.  It's just a money grub as we all know it.  There's no hope in here.  I remember last year's December sales was great at Shutterstock.  Give us some hope, Shutterstock!!!  Don't be a Grinch!! How can they sleep well?  It's time to get a real day job I guess.  lol

I think it is possible that some customers will move but not many. From a contributor's point of view it's all a question of motivation and a sense of being fairly treated. For those contributors who earn substantial money from SS leaving SS is a hard thing to do. But many image contributors earn very low money now and the only sensible action is to look elsewhere.

13 hours ago, blvdone said:

Sales at Shutterstock have been soft since they forced us the notorious January reset and new unfair commission level system.  In this day and age of social justice and income equality, if I was a creator in need of stock material, I wouldn't buy from Shutterstock in solidarity with those creators who supply materials here.  I wonder if that may be the reason the sales here has been soft compared to Adobe Stock and Pond5.  If that's the case, Shutterstock has to come correct with us contributors who supply what they sell.  I wouldn't be surprised if our fellow creators are using Adobe Stock and Pond5 instead of Shutterstock in protest and solidarity with us.  I hope so.  They need to make video 35% level much lower so that many of us can get 35% for like the second half of the year.  Their new system punishes everybody.  It's just a money grub as we all know it.  There's no hope in here.  I remember last year's December sales was great at Shutterstock.  Give us some hope, Shutterstock!!!  Don't be a Grinch!! How can they sleep well?  It's time to get a real day job I guess.  lol

Agree! Sales were superior here! But times were different. Now we are hit double. By new system and by other crissis. Grinch, go back to your ice mountain and stay there! Ok, you may retun when you will have some gifts for us ... :)

Well, big corporate houses and publications with annual subscriptions make for the majority of Shutterstock's customers and Shutterstock's current business model caters almost exclusively to them because that's where they see profits. I've seen a LOT of 10-14 cent sales this month, at a rate faster than any other time this year, which is probably an indicator that no such boycott exists from big customers. If independent creators who would normally buy an ODD or SOD are boycotting and going for other alternatives, I doubt it puts any serious dent in Shutterstock's domination of the market and I doubt if Shutterstock even cares if that happens.

7 hours ago, Darla Hallmark said:

Creatives understand the pain of not having their work appreciated.  As word gets around that Shuttertock treats their contributors badly, fewer creatives will be willing to spend their money there.

I totally agree.  Shutterstock brags about how much money it paid contributors.  But they should know that contributors paid them more than 2x they paid us. 

19 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I totally agree.  Shutterstock brags about how much money it paid contributors.  But they should know that contributors paid them more than 2x they paid us. 

I for one, have never paid Shutterstock a dime, I think you have it backwards.  They take a share of the earnings, and according to you, they did nothing to earn that share, right?  They should be selling our clips out of the goodness of their heart?  If you think you can make more money someplace else you should go for it.  Otherwise grow up and stop whining like a child about how THE MAN is ripping off the little guy.  Nobody's forcing you to do business with SS.  Keep your negative vibes to yourself or take it up with management. Nobody on this forum can change anything about your situation no matter how much you whine about it over and  over again.

56 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I for one, have never paid Shutterstock a dime, I think you have it backwards.  They take a share of the earnings, and according to you, they did nothing to earn that share, right?  They should be selling our clips out of the goodness of their heart?  If you think you can make more money someplace else you should go for it.  Otherwise grow up and stop whining like a child about how THE MAN is ripping off the little guy.  Nobody's forcing you to do business with SS.  Keep your negative vibes to yourself or take it up with management. Nobody on this forum can change anything about your situation no matter how much you whine about it over and  over again.

You grow up and go somewhere else!!  And stop misleading newbies with your "$240/hr income" BS to sell your tutorial videos!!!

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

And stop attacking everybody you disagree with by using offensive and degrading words.  It's very childish like kids in elementary school or something.  So, grow up already.  Bye.  I'll put you on ignore list soon.  So, you won't hear from me anymore because I won't see your comments.

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

You grow up and go somewhere else!!  And stop misleading newbies with your "$240/hr income" BS to sell your tutorial videos!!!

Let's see if I can break down the math so that even you can understand it.  I can edit, grade, upload, and do all the metadata for at least 12 clips per hour (believe me, that is a very conservative number).  I have 8965 videos in my portfolio right now, so that means it took me 747 hours to process them (8965  divided by 12 = 747)

With me, so far? I have $171,637 in lifetime earnings.  If you divide that income by 747 hours, of labor you get $229.76 per hour for my work.  Simple math. The numbers don't lie.

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

Let's see if I can break down the math so that even you can understand it.  I can edit, grade, upload, and do all the metadata for at least 12 clips per hour (believe me, that is a very conservative number).  I have 8965 videos in my portfolio right now, so that means it took me 747 hours to process them (8965  divided by 12 = 747)

With me, so far? I have $171,637 in lifetime earnings.  If you divide that income by 747 hours, of labor you get $229.76 per hour for my work.  Simple math. The numbers don't lie.

How many hours did it take to shoot those clips?  Travel time?  Equipment cost?  Stop misleading amateurs.  Who runs a business without calculating those hours and cost?  Time is money my brother.  You should take Business 101 course.  This ain't no "Get rich quick" scheme.  Many people end up making less than the minimum wage.  That's the reality.

I have explained many times right here on this forum, and in my videos, how I calculate my hourly income.  Shooting is not work for me and I never shoot for stock.  All of my footage is shot for other reasons, sometimes for business and sometimes for pleasure, but I never shoot solely for stock. And I have never bought a single piece of gear for shooting stock.  All of my cameras, lenses, etc. are paid for by other work.  If someone else chooses to sell insurance or dig ditches as their career choice, and so they then have to go out and buy camera equipment just for shooting stock, that is their problem, not mine.

I calculate my income based on the time I spend doing metadata in post because that is shitty work and I expect to be paid well for my time or I won't submit anything at all.  Don't get me wrong, I'll always be out shooting new video until I can't hold a camera any more, but I'll stop submitting the minute my hourly income isn't high enough to justify the time I have to put into submitting.  If you don't understand the difference between doing something because you like it (shooting), and doing something only because it pays good money (submitting), then you have a lot to learn about life.

YOU are welcome to calculate your hourly income anyway that suits you.  I have never told anyone they need to use the same metrics that I use.  And I have always been crystal clear about how I arrive at my hourly wage,  But everyone is different.  If you hate shooting, then factor that into your hourly income.  If you have to go out and buy gear just for shooting stock, then factor that into your numbers too.  If you have to travel great distances, factor that in.  If you have to hire models, pay for locations, or hire crew, factor that in.  I don't have any of those expenses.   But please don't tell me how to calculate my own numbers or run a business.  This is just a hobby.  A hobby that pays well, but still a hobby.

By the way, I should point out that my hourly income figure is bases solely on my Shutterstock revenue and does not include the income that those same clips are earning elsewhere.  Yeah, this is a great hobby.

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

Many people end up making less than the minimum wage.  That's the reality.

Yes that is the reality of it.   But if they want to find the reason for their lack of success all they have to do is take a good hard look in the mirror and figure out how they can do better.  This isn't rocket science.  This is pretty simple stuff.

On 12/17/2020 at 4:59 AM, blvdone said:

Perhaps you should stop pushing potential buyers to Adobe Stock and Pond5? Shutterstock does all the advertising for you, it is your choice. BTW if any of the Admins here who give a shit about their company should take a long hard look at someone who send clients to the competition then complains about their f%cking sales here. Just my two pesos worth.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.03.49 PM.png

5 hours ago, OceanicWanderer said:

Perhaps you should stop pushing potential buyers to Adobe Stock and Pond5? Shutterstock does all the advertising for you, it is your choice. BTW if any of the Admins here who give a shit about their company should take a long hard look at someone who send clients to the competition then complains about their f%cking sales here. Just my two pesos worth.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.03.49 PM.png

Do you think anybody actually read the profile and go to other site?  I actually changed my profile description when I un-licensed my portfolio on Shutterstock.  However, since I re-licensed here, I tried to change that description but couldn't somehow.  So, they got to fix that glitch.  BTW, you only have 1 video clip and less than a thousand photos.  Why are you talking like somebody who knows this industry well?  You basically are a newbie.

11 hours ago, blvdone said:

And stop attacking everybody you disagree with by using offensive and degrading words.  It's very childish like kids in elementary school or something.  So, grow up already.  Bye.  I'll put you on ignore list soon.  So, you won't hear from me anymore because I won't see your comments.

How very "adult" of you? 😁

On 12/18/2020 at 7:49 AM, blvdone said:

Yeah, tell that to Doug the big time guy.

LOL, maybe you'll understand some day if you come back and read your own posts. Threatening to put someone on ignore and block them?

Hey, I saw the comment that you make a living from YouTube. My compliments to @makesushi1. (corrected) That's a tough market and anyone who can make it there, has to have good content and new materials so the subscribers keep viewing and more keep joining. That must take a huge amount of work. I wouldn't even start to think I have the inspiration or material to seriously try to make a profit doing YouTube. 👍

8 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

LOL, maybe you'll understand some day if you come back and read your own posts. Threatening to put someone on ignore and block them?

Hey, I saw the comment that you make a living from YouTube. My compliments. That's a tough market and anyone who can make it there, has to have good content and new materials so the subscribers keep viewing and more keep joining. That must take a huge amount of work. I wouldn't even start to think I have the inspiration or material to seriously try to make a profit doing YouTube. 👍

I don't make a living off YouTube.  That's "MakeSushi" guy.  Pay attention, people!!!

5 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I don't make a living off YouTube.  That's "MakeSushi" guy.  Pay attention, people!!!

Oops, wrong person, OK well, good luck whatever you do.

3 hours ago, blvdone said:

Do you think anybody actually read the profile and go to other site?  I actually changed my profile description when I un-licensed my portfolio on Shutterstock.  However, since I re-licensed here, I tried to change that description but couldn't somehow.  So, they got to fix that glitch.  BTW, you only have 1 video clip and less than a thousand photos.  Why are you talking like somebody who knows this industry well?  You basically are a newbie.

Maybe you should consider a pause in the personal attacks and target the actual issues instead?

"Is it possible that Creative community is boycotting Shutterstock?"

Possible yes, probable = NO

3 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Oops, wrong person, OK well, good luck whatever you do.

Maybe you should consider a pause in the personal attacks and target the actual issues instead?

He attacked me first repeatedly not only on this thread.  I never attacked people on this forum.  He attacks everybody whose opinion is different from him.  There's a pattern.  MakeSushi guy was attacked by him and got called names and insulted.  The dude is a bully.  It's simple as that.  I don't turn the other cheek to a bully like him.  I strike back 10x harder.

1 minute ago, blvdone said:

He attacked me first repeatedly not only on this thread.  I never attacked people on this forum.  He attacks everybody whose opinion is different from him.  There's a pattern.  MakeSushi guy was attacked by him to getting called names and insulted.  The dude is a bully.  It's simple as that.  I don't turn the other cheek to a bully like him.  I strike back 10x harder.

Done, have a nice day.

beatdeadhorse.gif

7 hours ago, blvdone said:

He attacked me first repeatedly not only on this thread.  I never attacked people on this forum.  He attacks everybody whose opinion is different from him.  There's a pattern.  MakeSushi guy was attacked by him and got called names and insulted.  The dude is a bully.  It's simple as that.  I don't turn the other cheek to a bully like him.  I strike back 10x harder.

You have to understand that some people just don't understand constructive criticism. Out-right criticism just creates destruction "stepped on toes." To do useful constructive criticism takes time to a learn this skill. Some people take longer to learn it, some people by personality and life experience never do. Just a fact of life. 🤷

I hope Shutterstock millionaire executives will re-consider during this Christmas season and scrap the unfair system of money grab from contributors and reinstate the old system that was fair.  Otherwise we the thousands of contributors are heading into a very dark winter of despair and hopelessness.  I give them a chance to repent their sins.  Let's see what happens.