looks like blackbox global pulled its videos from shutter stock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah!!!

Many large contributors stopped licensing their images/vectors/footage with Shutterstock earlier this year when the new earning structure was announced. Now that it's coming to the end of the year,

Because a lot of people are lazy.  Simple as that.

I was wondering about BlackBoxGuild.  Since the commission structure change, how would they distribute royalty to contributors?  I think because of their massive amount of clips, they were getting 35% royalty on all clips.  However, individual contributors who are part of the BlackBox would've never reached 35% level.  Maybe some would've reached 30% level, but many would've been 25% or lower.  So, BlackBox's business model is bad for Shutterstock.  Instead of Shutterstock paying individual contributors somewhere around 25% royalty, they have to pay 35%.  That's a massive loss of money for Shutterstock.  So, I wonder if BlackBox's disappearance was voluntary or being forced by Shutterstock.  They still have nearly 2 million clips on Pond5.  https://www.pond5.com/artist/blackboxguild#1/2063

46 minutes ago, makesushi1 said:

its strange that there is no info about this, just quietly got removed you would think black box would make a statement on twitter or at least notify members 

Not if BlackBox for whatever reason want to disassociate from SS, may have chosen to sweep under the rug.

In which case I would say it would be illogical to bring it up.

Almost two years ago I warned people in the trailer for my "How to Make Money Shooting Stock Footage" video not to use these third party submission services and this is just another reason why that proved to be good advice.  I can't say that I anticipated them totally disappearing from SS, but there were already enough other reasons not to get into bed with them or anyone else like them.  If it is true that millions of videos have suddenly disappeared, that is great news for all the people who were willing to put in the work of doing stuff ourselves.  And we get to keep 100% of our commissions.

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

I've read on FB (can't find the post now it might of been removed) there was apparently a copyright complaint against them and there are efforts to restore the account.

Maybe one of the contributors was a scammer who uploaded a bunch of stolen clips via BlackBox to get higher royalty rate nstead of starting at the bottom?  If that's the case, that's the danger of collective account.  Everybody is punished because of the action of one bad scammer.  I would never use Blackbox or any other third party uploader.  It may be handy if you don't have that many clips, but just doesn't make sense for me that somebody else will take percentage of your sales as long as you use their service.  Once you upload via Blackbox, you may not be upload the same clip via your own account if you decide to leave BlackBox.  Shutterstock may flag the clip as duplicate or stolen.  I don't understand why BlackBox is so popular.  

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

I've read on FB (can't find the post now it might of been removed) there was apparently a copyright complaint against them and there are efforts to restore the account.

Guessing its perfectly possible someone on there is submitting stuff they dont own.

Blackbox would be the ones responsible for that.

I still cant work out why people use them (and its somewhat strange SS permit it as it gives a boost to lower levels and costs them more in the long run).

Many large contributors stopped licensing their images/vectors/footage with Shutterstock earlier this year when the new earning structure was announced.

Now that it's coming to the end of the year, you are going to see a whole load more contributors leave, as everyones level will reset to level 1 on Jan 1st. 

One particular example I can remember is DigitalMammoth, they had a HUGE image/vector portfolio here on Shutterstock which they withdrew very quickly after the new structure was announced. 

Less competition is certainly nothing to worry about. 

10 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

I've read on FB (can't find the post now it might of been removed) there was apparently a copyright complaint against them

8 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Guessing its perfectly possible someone on there is submitting stuff they dont own.

In that case it certainly must be Blackbox themselves pulling the ports and not SS ..?

5 hours ago, makesushi1 said:

I just think its worth losing 15% to not have to deal with posting a video to 5 websites

First of all, there are only three sites that are even worth the time to bother with.  And second, if you know how to use a spreadsheet for metadata it barely requires any extra effort to submit to multiple sites.  Third, 15% adds up to significant money.  For example, if I had submitted my portfolio through a 3rd party company I'd already have thrown away $26,000. Do you think would be worth it?   Even for a contributor who has lower earnings, 15% is still 1/6 of every dollar you earn -- forevever -- just for the "convenience" of not having to FTP the files more than once.  That is not worth it unless you happen to pay by the GB for internet service.

Let me amend my previous post to say that using a 3rd party submitter is not only for the lazy it is also for the ignorant who don't know any better.

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

First of all, there are only three sites that are even worth the time to bother with.  And second, if you know how to use a spreadsheet for metadata it barely requires any extra effort to submit to multiple sites.  Third, 15% adds up to significant money.  For example, if I had submitted my portfolio through a 3rd party company I'd already have thrown away $26,000. Do you think would be worth it?   Even for a contributor who has lower earnings, 15% is still 1/6 of every dollar you earn -- forevever -- just for the "convenience" of not having to FTP the files more than once.  That is not worth it unless you happen to pay by the GB for internet service.

Let me amend my previous post to say that using a 3rd party submitter is not only for the lazy it is also for the ignorant who don't know any better.

on the other hand it also comes with the benefit of getting 35% commission on SS instead of what 20% or lower % most people get.... although not now that BB got pulled from SS

11 minutes ago, makesushi1 said:

on the other hand it also comes with the benefit of getting 35% commission on SS instead of what 20% or lower % most people get.... although not now that BB got pulled from SS

Don't forget that a 3rd party company will take 15% of any and all commissions you earn, so that 35% payout wouldn't really be 35%.

just had a look at SS profit share again because I knew it was something like that but not exactly.
so lowest level for videos is 15% commission and highest is 40% for that highest tire one would need to sell over 25000 videos to get there, so chances are only BB got there.

most people would struggle getting in the 20% tire, so being in black box and getting 40%(-15% commission)= 34%, which is 41% more that 20% is kind great.
not to mention how long does it take people to sell enough videos to get in the high tiers, have they wasted most the year getting in the higher tires?

hopefully other platforms don't adopt SS tire system in a few years, but if they do BB could be the way to get back some % in such a case.

finally BB mentioned something about this on their platform: 

Hello BlackBox Member,

This notification is to inform you that one of our agency partners, Shutterstock, has temporarily suspended the BlackBoxGuild contributor account as a result of a DMCA Copyright claim.

During this suspension and review, we will continue normal operations but will defer submitting new content to the agency involved.

We regret this unfortunate situation and we are doing everything we can to return to normal operations. We will be in touch as soon as we have definitive answers to share with you.

The BlackBox Team

On 12/16/2020 at 12:38 AM, Steven Tritton said:

seems you were right

21 minutes ago, makesushi1 said:

crazy how they banned everyone of BB for one bad actor

Thats BB fault.

They're one user.

Any DMCA claims that one user gets banned.

As far as SS are concerned its as simple as that.  BB is on slightly dodgy ground as a SS commission reseller to start with.

If you use a service like them you need to realise you are no longer in control of your content or commissions on any site.  The actions of any number of others, unknown to you can have a direct effect on your income.

29 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Thats BB fault.

They're one user.

Any DMCA claims that one user gets banned.

As far as SS are concerned its as simple as that.  BB is on slightly dodgy ground as a SS commission reseller to start with.

If you use a service like them you need to realise you are no longer in control of your content or commissions on any site.  The actions of any number of others, unknown to you can have a direct effect on your income.

SS would have to be retarded to look at BB as one user