December sales - take two

55 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Yes, Annie,

Mihai is a good example! Or really impressive: Romolo Tavani! And there are so many more to take a cue from.

No, dont know Romolo.

Iain Campbell taught me video. I was so lucky to have such a great friend and teacher as him. He trained with Hotel Foxtrot, one of the biggest in the industry back then.

I fall very, very short of Iain's work, but he was very inspiring. 

Iain Campell's Inspiring and Inclusive Video Portraits (shutterstock.com)

And yes, Mihai is great too - and likewise you can learn a lot from him as well. He is really brilliant on the technical side of things, where I fall short. Or loose interest because I am just in it for the styling. lol

Anyway, I have got this week off, and just feel like chatting, so hopefully not taking up too much space with my chatter. lol

ETA. It was Iain who said to me right at the beginning of teaching me video: "If its easy to do, then everyone will be doing it". That really helped me, and eventually led to me doing stop motions. You just have to be different in this industry to get ahead. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know what happened to the generic milestone thread, but I just came across this on my dashboard: What are the chances of arriving at such a perfectly even number (in fact, the sale tha

Milo, it is interesting that we have nearly the same number of downloads but look at the difference in dollar volume.  Wow. That's a 26x higher return per download.  I don't think anything could bette

Since the original one got deleted by accident... My December is going okay, no spectacular single sales, but a steady flow of regular stuff coming in. SS is again well ahead of AS.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Compared to Dec 1 - 23, 2019 vs. the same period this year . . .

Number of Downloads:   Up 86%

Revenue:  Up only 7%.

Revenue is what matters most, but obviously the average return per sale is dropping.

I have to update my figures because I had a couple of nice $120 sales this evening.

Number of Downloads:   Up 92%

Revenue:  Up 19.8%.

1 hour ago, clivewa said:

What a Christmas present from DT - $686.  Never had anything like this from then before.  This morning I found that overnight I had 49 downloads on DT, all $14.3.  Not at all what I'm used to.  Santa Claus is real after all!  This has overturned all my expectations re. stock sites.

You can laugh at me now, but I just had a look to see if there was a Christmas present like that for me at DT. Unfortunately not!

Congratulations, Clive! Great!

2 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

You can laugh at me now, but I just had a look to see if there was a Christmas present like that for me at DT. Unfortunately not!

Congratulations, Clive! Great!

Thanks Wilm, it was a great surprise to me.  Now I just have to hope that validation of the sales goes ok, so that I can get the cash into my account.

1 hour ago, clivewa said:

What a Christmas present from DT - $686.  Never had anything like this from then before.  This morning I found that overnight I had 49 downloads on DT, all $14.3.  Not at all what I'm used to.  Santa Claus is real after all!  This has overturned all my expectations re. stock sites.

Congratulations, clivewa) Two days ago I also got Christmas present 5 sales for $77.24. Never happens before. Happy to get little back as last 4 month I earned on SS only half of I normally do. 

2 hours ago, clivewa said:

Concrats!

Nice port, i like your art!

5 minutes ago, art of line said:

Congratulations, clivewa) Two days ago I also got Christmas present 5 sales for $77.24. Never happens before. Happy to get little back as last 4 month I earned on SS only half of I normally do. 

Thanks for the sentiments, and of course for writing.  And congrats on your sale.  live

Having been used to a few ODs every month on a relatively low number of sales, they stopped completely for me in July this year up to and including November.  However, I had 3 this month ($1.50 UK, a rose; $2.00 Russia, a butterfly and $1.71 Austria, blossom) so maybe this is a cause for optimism as perhaps this reflects the economy starting to pick up in light of the Covid vaccine. 

Fingers crossed ...let's hope that 2021 is better for everyone, in every way ....

33 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Having been used to a few ODs every month on a relatively low number of sales, they stopped completely for me in July this year up to and including November.  However, I had 3 this month ($1.50 UK, $2.00 Russia and $1.71 Austria) so maybe this is a cause for optimism as perhaps this reflects the economy starting to pick up in light of the Covid vaccine. 

Fingers crossed ...let's hope that 2021 is better for everyone, in every way ....

Nice to see you back here, Deb.

Have a better New Year and stay healthy!

December 2020 ended up a decent month. Compared to December 2019, I'm up in terms of downloads as well as income, despite an only modest increase of my port. Some very old images and videos have been found by customers for the first time lately, I have no idea how. (I can't even find them!) And some newer stuff seems to be gaining momentum. SS beat AS again for me this month.

Hoping the next year will be good for stock, as the economy slowly recovers.

December 2020 was very close to being my BME, beating even my best months in pre-rate cut times. So not an entirely bad way to end a terrible year. It also makes me look forward to 2021. I'm not as pessimistic as some of the others on the forum and I do sincerely hope for good sales this year.

Happy new year, everyone, hope you'll have a great 2021 as well

December was my second worst month ever. Only my first month, November 2010, was a touch worse - but I only had 120 images in my portfolio then.

Versus December 2019 at shutterstock:
+ 4% downloads
- 30% revenues
Compared to December 2018 at shutterstock:
+ 15% downloads
- 37.5% revenue

Corona fails as an excuse because downloads are higher than in December of previous years. It is exclusively the new revenue structure.

December 2020 RPD was minus 32% compared to my average RPD. Level 5.