In June I decided to give SS a chance and see what the new system would bring. After a few months I can safely say that the answer is practically nothing. In that time I went from level 3 to level 4 and can now say that the Level is irrelevant to my situation. The slow drip of 10 cent sales makes the levels of no importance to image contributors. The only question left for Jan 1 is total deletion or no further submissions. Any thoughts? Are other image contributors finding the new Levels system irrelevant?

I think this one is going to be very difficult for a lot of contributors to answer honestly. Particularly those in the mid to higher levels. Without the ability to accurately parse the effects of Covid, global recession, algorithm bias, buyer behavior, content attrition, and so on - I find it nearly impossible to fully understand why I might be better off one month while in the hole another as compared to the old system. Understanding what part of that is related directly to the new levels system might seem like a fairly straightforward calculation at first...however simply totaling the amount of subscriptions or OD's now and directly comparing that to what it would have been is in my view not telling the whole story. Projecting what it will be after the reset seems just as futile at this point. For myself I have a minimum threshold based on port size and content where I am comfortable with my return. We shall see.

2 hours ago, lonndubh said:

In June I decided to give SS a chance and see what the new system would bring. After a few months I can safely say that the answer is practically nothing. In that time I went from level 3 to level 4 and can now say that the Level is irrelevant to my situation. The slow drip of 10 cent sales makes the levels of no importance to image contributors. The only question left for Jan 1 is total deletion or no further submissions. Any thoughts? Are other image contributors finding the new Levels system irrelevant?

To an extent yes.

I think with most people the majority of sales are subs and of those sales, most subs are high usage subscribers.  So everyone gets 10c regardless of level.

The increase in commission for the other sales for me at least by no means makes up for the huge loss in sub sales (0.38 down to average RPD of 0.21 for subs).

Video will hit me harder - a combination of a massive level drop in January AND the fact more and more sales are these ridiculous give-away subscription prices there.

lonndubh,

While I understand your dilemma, I would suggest you NOT delete your portfolio.  You've done the work, leave it here and go on to a different hobby or money making idea.

I've made these comments in previous threads, however, your question is the same one I've been struggling with since June .  While I detest the money grab by SS, it has not affected me as much as I suspected.  I only sell photos and my RPD is well over $1.00 since SS lowered the contributor's rate structure in June.  While these are only guesses, I believe there are a number of reasons for this.

1.  I've been here for over ten years and my images have had time to work they're way up the "Pop Chart".

2.  I've been able to travel both here in the United States and abroad which has provide me a much greater level of subject matter than the average contributor might enjoy.

3.  From the very beginning I chose to only uploaded my very best images.  If I wasn't proud of an image, I didn't upload it.  However, It did take me a long time to upload what many would feel is a small portfolio (3,100+ images).

4.  I was not a novice photographer when I started uploading.  While not a real professional, I had done a number of weddings and had some success at both local and international photo contests.

5.  I do this as a hobby and am not dependent on the these earnings for day to day living expenses.  This has allowed me to adopt my rather unusual upload standard.  

6.  For what ever reason (this issue has been debated ad in nauseum here in the forum), I and many others, consistently get a number of the the larger (OD, SO and ELs) each month rather than the 10 cent subscriptions.  If this changes, I will be in the same boat as you (lonndubh) and I will be forced to decide if I want to continue uploading.  However, for now, SS still makes me more money than any other stock site and I've chosen to keep uploading. 

7.  Given the number of downloads I now receive, I should be back to level 4 in three months.  It will reduce the amount I receive on the larger downloads for the first three months but that is a reality I can live with.   

I don't know if these thoughts have any validity (yea, they may be just braggadocio), nor if they would be of any help to other contributors (since my circumstances are different than most) but there is two side to even this story. 

If I was asked the question, "If you were just starting out, would you choose to sell your photos through stock sites?  My answer would be "NO" but I've done the work, know the process and frankly, I love photography. I'm staying.  

Good Luck with your decision!       

Milo,

Your very kind, thanks for the complement.  To be honest that's exactly what I do, "shoot for the pleasure of it".  I've always loved nature and that's predominantly what I shoot.  Uploading and making some money while doing it is just a side benefit.  Thankfully, I seldom shoot something "for stock".  If I don't find it beautiful, unique or a photographic challenge I really have no interest in it.  I upload my limited successes and see what happens.  Other than the Keywording, it's not a job.  I'm retired, I finally get to do what I Love, Photography.

2 hours ago, Steve Bower said:

Milo,

Your very kind, thanks for the complement.  To be honest that's exactly what I do, "shoot for the pleasure of it".  I've always loved nature and that's predominantly what I shoot.  Uploading and making some money while doing it is just a side benefit.  Thankfully, I seldom shoot something "for stock".  If I don't find it beautiful, unique or a photographic challenge I really have no interest in it.  I upload my limited successes and see what happens.  Other than the Keywording, it's not a job.  I'm retired, I finally get to do what I Love, Photography.

thumbs-up-100.jpg