Jump to content

Dark winter in January for us Shutterstock contributors when our royalty rate resets.


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Inconsistent on here. 

Pond5, AS and iStock some more sales but also very inconsistent. 

video sales.JPG

I think you should shoot with models if you want to generate decent income from stock videos especially on Shutterstock which seem to like model released commercial materials.  Try shooting with models from wide range of demographics (ages,races and gender) if you can.  That's my advice based on what I saw on your portfolio.  Also, it looks like almost everything is kind of mid-wide shot and gives an impression of shooting aimlessly.  I would try zooming in sometime in the same scene and see how it looks.  And think of yourself as a potential buyer and think what story the particular shot tells.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i dont care much about 30 or 35%. the problem is about the price they are selling clips now.  few months ago i was earning at least 23.70 usd for a clip but now only few cents  today they sold 15

I don't like people.

Contributor forums are a place for contributors to complain about things that aren't going well for us.  I though we all knew it.  

Posted Images

5 hours ago, blvdone said:

I think you should shoot with models if you want to generate decent income from stock videos especially on Shutterstock which seem to like model released commercial materials.  Try shooting with models from wide range of demographics (ages,races and gender) if you can.  That's my advice based on what I saw on your portfolio.  Also, it looks like almost everything is kind of mid-wide shot and gives an impression of shooting aimlessly.  I would try zooming in sometime in the same scene and see how it looks.  And think of yourself as a potential buyer and think what story the particular shot tells.  

I don't like people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I don't like people.

For the first 2 years, I didn't shoot with models, but after started shooting with models, I saw my sales going up.  Editorials are great too, but if you want to make consistent and serious money from stock video/photos, you'll need to hire models to shoot with them.  If you just want some extra money to pay some of your bills, you don't need to.  You can just use craigslist and Backstage (it may be in the US only) to find models.  So many people want to model for anything.  I think I pay decent money, but you can start with whatever you can afford to pay them and see if you can find people who want to model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blvdone said:

You can just use craigslist and Backstage (it may be in the US only) to find models.  So many people want to model for anything.

Your people images are great. I didn’t think you were paying the models because they look so natural and straight forward. Good job. Then again I wandered how you could get all these ordinary people to sign a release on the spot .... Still I’m surprised that it can pay off. But then again I think your images are better than many others’ because of the environments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

Since you are here on the forum posting and sharing useful thoughts, ideas and data, I would guess you enjoy at least to some degree some level of social interaction ;)

I like u, hope u like me too :) 

Whatever happened to that friends group that Mirko created a while back?

In terms of shooting people for lifestyle, no issues but not something I particularly enjoy. I’m a travel guy and also news type of guy, it’s what I do best and enjoy the most. Nevertheless, I have taken your tips on board @oleschwander, thanks.

Completely transitioning to another (competitive) niche at this stage in the game would be both a betrayal to myself and my business model. No issues about doing a little bit of lifestyle on the side, although I prefer to use the models I have to shoot for book covers  at Arcangel.

If you’ve all been following me for a while I had to go back into full time work a year ago as stock wasn’t paying enough (my results are all open to see and digest), so the money earned by stock has become secondary. I’m looking forward to traveling again in 2021, in 2020 only visited 2 countries which is my worst performance since 1983. Seems to be looking up for next year with all this vaccine talk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Your people images are great. I didn’t think you were paying the models because they look so natural and straight forward. Good job. Then again I wandered how you could get all these ordinary people to sign a release on the spot .... Still I’m surprised that it can pay off. But then again I think your images are better than many others’ because of the environments.

Thank you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, blvdone said:

We can get through it.  Don't be discouraged!!!  It'll be a painful January for all of us regardless of your royalty level.  Every January will be painful for us contributors every year on Shutterstock.  But, there's no crying in stock industry, I think.

I agree with you! No crying! ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should pick up once people start traveling again. Keep in mind that international travel is down an average of 85% year-on-year in Europe. Got on a plane last month and first time ever there was no in-flight magazine...those are usually full of stock pics. Just a small silly example but there is not so much to write about these days and marketing budgets have been cut drastically. 

I chose a tough niche but it's the most fun :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even a lot of places that do still have in-flight magazines have taken to asking guests for free use of photos and so on (its happened to me and colleagues several times).

These days the first choice is try to obtain free and only buy if you really cant get it.  Budget is more useful than quality.

This applies to big news organisations and pretty much everybody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I'm at level 5 with 35% on photos now.  So, in January, those $0.10 sales will be like $0.04, just 4 pennies.  Executives need bonus and shareholders need dividends, I guess.

That only applies for higher value sales.  Most sales are subs and of those the majority are high volume pay subs.  Those will always be 10c regardless of level.

Video is where the changes will be most brutally felt for most.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...