Dark winter in January for us Shutterstock contributors when our royalty rate resets.

7 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I don't know what "big time" means, but if you don't have the sales you want . . . look in the mirror.  The great thing about stock footage is that YOU are your own boss and YOU control your own destiny.  It is up to you to determine how successful you will be.

You can waste time complaining over and over again about things you cannot change or control, or you can accept the rules of the game and direct your energy towards succeeding within those parameters, or go find another game where the conditions are more to your liking.

I suck doing this.  Maybe I should quit.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i dont care much about 30 or 35%. the problem is about the price they are selling clips now.  few months ago i was earning at least 23.70 usd for a clip but now only few cents  today they sold 15

I don't like people.

Contributor forums are a place for contributors to complain about things that aren't going well for us.  I though we all knew it.  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Only you can make that determination for yourself. But if it is true, then go find something else worthwhile to spend your energy on and stop beating a dead horse here.  Move on. Find something else that you enjoy doing and can make money at.

Maybe I'll sell insurance or real estate.  Thanks for your advice!!

13 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

@Wilm IhlenfeldIf you think you have all the answers, nobody is stopping you from starting your own stock footage agency and doing it the way you think it should be done.  I might even sign up as a contributor.  Alternatively you could purchase some stock in SS and then, as a shareholder, you can enjoy the rich rewards of your investment in the corporation.

Right now I would have to sell 709 subscription images for $0,10 to buy one share. Short before the new earnings structure was introduced, a 100 subscription downloads for $0,38 would have been enough. So I can no longer raise the money for a share. 😉

15 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

No, it is place to share ideas and information.  If you just want to complain and you have no solutions to share or ideas to help others,  go away...

Funny, the one and only time I asked you for information I was quickly referred to your off forum pay-to-learn video series. Not exactly practicing what you preach there Doug...but whatever...it's just that to me you are beginning to sound a little more like a partnered apologist for the current state of affairs than a helpful voice of reason. Yet to my knowledge no one has suggested that you "go away".

12 minutes ago, Foodio said:

Funny, the one and only time I asked you for information I was quickly referred to your off forum pay-to-learn video series. Not exactly practicing what you preach there Doug...but whatever...it's just that to me you are beginning to sound a little more like a partnered apologist for the current state of affairs than a helpful voice of reason. Yet to my knowledge no one has suggested that you "go away".

Some things are too complicated to explain in a paragraph or two and I'm not going to spoon feed someone who doesn't value what I can teach them in a more appropriate venue.  That is your choice.  But I think if someone looks at the body of my posts they'll find I've provided plenty of helpful information and specific advice on hundreds of occasions. 

On the other hand, it seems that certain people here want to use the forum to cry and complain and feel sorry for themselves.  What good does that do for anyone?  Especially when someone has said they disabled their portfolio and is only hanging around here to spread their doom and gloom.  That is the type of person who should go away.  Did I ever suggest an active contributor should go away?  No.

2 minutes ago, blvdone said:

It's like not complaining whatever a government does and say go away to other country if you complain.  It ain't work like that bro.

Comparing a private corporation to a democratic government, where each citizen has a vote and is subject to the decisions made whether they like it or not, is asinine and shows your ignorance on how the world works.  Stop bitching and start shooting.

3 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Comparing a private corporation to a democratic government, where each citizen has a vote and is subject to the decisions made whether they like it or not, is asinine and shows your ignorance on how the world works.  Stop bitching and start shooting.

"asinine", "ignorance" "bitching".  You keep passive-aggressively insulting me and other good willed contributors who are trying hard.  Maybe nobody is as big-time or talented as you are, but we are not bullying others nor insulting others here, partner.  Enjoy your weekend and stay safe from the virus.

13 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Yes, we are a bunch of losers if you want to call us that.  Go ahead.  We suck.

Maybe I'll try your pay-to-learn video series and learn how to make money in stock videos.  That may be the answer.

14 minutes ago, blvdone said:

"asinine", "ignorance" "bitching".  You keep passive-aggressively insulting me and other good willed contributors who are trying hard.  Maybe nobody is as big-time or talented as you are, but we are not bullying others nor insulting others here, partner.  Enjoy your weekend and stay safe from the virus.

Hmm, it wasn't mean to be passive.  I do apologize for not having more sympathy for people who who would prefer to endlessly whine and cry and moap about rather than getting off their ass and doing the work that is required to achieve success.  If you don't like the rules of the game that Shutterstock has made, take it up with the management or move on. It does no good to complain over and over and over again on a forum that they don't read.   And if you do decide to move on, then do us the courtesy of not posting your doom and gloom when you are not even an active member of the community.

2 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Hmm, it wasn't mean to be passive.  I do apologize for not having more sympathy for people who who would prefer to endlessly whine and cry and moap about rather than getting off their ass and doing the work that is required to achieve success.  If you don't like the rules of the game that Shutterstock has made, take it up with the management or move on. It does not good to complain over and over and over again on a forum that they don't read.   And if you do decide to move on, then do us the courtesy of not posting your doom and gloom when you are not even an active member of the community.

I need to buy your video series, right?  That's the only solution to up my game, I think.