Change to title format... Please remove <> / &?

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into this as well. The instructions for editorial images specifically say we have to use a "/", yet it gives an error when I do. It won't let me submit them if I leave the slash in, but I'm wondering if they'll fail the submission process if I take it out and put something like "Stratford, Ontario, Canada" instead.

image.png.10005ae49c4381173b1c5754cc7814d5.png

Never used the example / on mine, and stopped used all caps in 2011. Also never had a problem with errors and notices for that? 🙂

Recent:  Waubedonia, Wisconsin, March 6, 2020:

Older: Newton Iowa, July 19, 2019:

Surprise: Birmingham Alabama 8 April 2011 -  Wow no commas, no colon, I wonder what would happen now?

I think they are trying to eliminate the special characters which can confuse searches for images and the subsequent links? That / can make a mess of things and the & is used in code as well. I'd avoid them even if SS doesn't forbid them. Same for < or > code symbols for HTML

5 hours ago, jrtwynam said:

I've run into this as well. The instructions for editorial images specifically say we have to use a "/", yet it gives an error when I do. It won't let me submit them if I leave the slash in, but I'm wondering if they'll fail the submission process if I take it out and put something like "Stratford, Ontario, Canada" instead.

image.png.10005ae49c4381173b1c5754cc7814d5.png

The slash between City, State and Country means 'or'. What they are saying is to use city and state in the title, or city and country.  You don't need to add USA when giving the location there because they think that is obvious. Everywhere else (I believe) you need the country. For your location I'd just switch the / for a coma. The / makes no sense in your description.
You never need the slash sign in a description. It's just an instruction. 
They would be better changing this to 'or' so as not to cause confusion. I've seen it before, you're not alone in this.