Some startup questions and opinion on my portfolio

Hello!

I just joined SS about 3 weeks ago. I posted 67 photos so far, and 34 of them were approved. I would like to ask the experts for help on a couple of matters:

1. So far I've got $0 sales. It might just be because no one wanted my photos, but I want to make sure there isn't any setting that I need to do to enable these to be downloaded. For example on my app it says "0 published sets". Do I need to somehow publish these photos to make them available for download, or do anything else to enable? Or are they ready to go if they are approved and already in the portfolio?

2. Keen for the experts' views on the photos I uploaded. Appreciate your honesty, so I can also learn from this.

Thank you very much!

Sets are just collections that you can use either to track your own sales in different categories, or share with people, or both, but you don't need to have sets set up, your images are for sale as soon as they have been approved.

Your images look very nice, just keep adding images, your port is still very very small when you know that Shutterstock has some 350 MILLION images in their database.

When you add keywords, try to get at least 30 keywords per image, but 50 is better. Just remember they must be relevant to the image. Use the keywording tool to help you pick out keywords  --> on the top right there's an icon for "keyword tool" https://submit.shutterstock.com/edit?language=en&type=photo

Personally, I ALWAYS keyword my images (ie. pick out the words) before I save the image after post processing it - you can save it in your metadata in photoshop or lightroom, and when you submit the image it automatically populates those fields. Do that for your title / description as well. That way if you want to submit the same images to other sites, the keywords are already embedded into the metadata and you don't have to retype anything.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:55 AM, Sari ONeal said:

Sets are just collections that you can use either to track your own sales in different categories, or share with people, or both, but you don't need to have sets set up, your images are for sale as soon as they have been approved.

Your images look very nice, just keep adding images, your port is still very very small when you know that Shutterstock has some 350 MILLION images in their database.

When you add keywords, try to get at least 30 keywords per image, but 50 is better. Just remember they must be relevant to the image. Use the keywording tool to help you pick out keywords  --> on the top right there's an icon for "keyword tool" https://submit.shutterstock.com/edit?language=en&type=photo

Personally, I ALWAYS keyword my images (ie. pick out the words) before I save the image after post processing it - you can save it in your metadata in photoshop or lightroom, and when you submit the image it automatically populates those fields. Do that for your title / description as well. That way if you want to submit the same images to other sites, the keywords are already embedded into the metadata and you don't have to retype anything.

Thank you very much Sari. This is very helpful advice! I've been putting 30+ keywords normally, but just not sure if it's the right one although most of them are the ones they recommend. But I will do as you suggest to do it through LR so that I don't have to do it over and over again; that would really help. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I see a portfolio, nothing extra needs to be done.

But you have 3 problems

1) small portfolio size

2) portfolio is not stock.

3)Check your keywords. There are many articles on the forum and on the Internet on how to correctly describe photo

You wrote that you live in the USA. This is good from a photo stocker's point of view. I have been to the USA several times and everything I shot there sells well. There is no need to shoot nature, trees without reference to the country. Take pictures of ordinary life, go to the supermarket and take pictures of absolutely everything and everything in the supermarket itself. And then upload it as editorial. Read what editorial is.

Update.

Sorry, this language is US English, and your country is different. But I will give the same advice. Capture the real life of your country

On 11/24/2020 at 1:20 AM, Pratish Halady said:

Hello!

I just joined SS about 3 weeks ago. I posted 67 photos so far, and 34 of them were approved. I would like to ask the experts for help on a couple of matters:

1. So far I've got $0 sales. It might just be because no one wanted my photos, but I want to make sure there isn't any setting that I need to do to enable these to be downloaded. For example on my app it says "0 published sets". Do I need to somehow publish these photos to make them available for download, or do anything else to enable? Or are they ready to go if they are approved and already in the portfolio?

2. Keen for the experts' views on the photos I uploaded. Appreciate your honesty, so I can also learn from this.

Thank you very much!

While I’ve heard two opinions on the number of keywords. One is “more is better” and “more can hurt”, though each advice was on a different microstock site (the former here, I forget the other site for the second) so it might be more an issue with each site’s algorhythms. What’s probably more important, or at least just as important, is that the keywording be as accurate as possible. Don’t just say “yellow flower”, for example, but something like “Yellow day lily (scientific name here), seen blooming in the spring....” in the description and then using yellow, day lilly, the scientific name, and other appropriate keywords.

Once your photos are uploaded and visible to the public, they’re available to the public, regardless of whether any sets you have them in are public or not.

Also, it looks like you now have 73 images. That’s a small port (mine is currently at ~669 and can be considered a small port as well) given the MILLIONS of photos here on SS. GIve it time. I don’t think my first sale happened until I’d been here a few months, and it took longer yet to get some sort of consistent number of down loads. And it can take time for photos to be downloaded. One of mine sold recently (~1-2 months ago) after being up on the site for more than a year. It’s more of a marathon than a sprint. It’s also harder to tell what WILL sell than won’t.

Though there are other uses (eg, editorial) for stock than just advertizing, remember to leave room for copy space. Is it an absolute, needed 100% of the time thing, no. If being used for a card, calendar, editorial, etc then copy space likely is less of an issue for a photo being used for that purpose.  Also think of things that aren’t well represented here on SS and take those. EG, if you search for “route 128 massachusetts” you’ll find 2 photos (of couse I’m not sure how much of need there is for such a photo, but if someone wanted to do an article on “massachusetts’ equivalent to silicon valley..... it’s what they’d look for). The mantra of a former contrubutor to the fourms (and I’m not sure if he’s still on SS. Long story....), is “there are unique things 50 feet from where you live” - though I’m not quite sure I have the quote 100% correct, but you catch the drift.