Has the Daily Mail stolen my pic?

So I just decided to google my name to see if anything came up and came across one of my pictures on the Daily Mail website. The funny thing is I haven't sold that picture but they have credited myself and Shutterstock. Could this be one of SS's free images or has it indeed been stolen?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8803317/Up-350-000-London-motorists-facing-12-50-DAY-charge-Ultra-Low-Emission-Zone-expanded.html

1173155849_stolenpic.jpg.d4303a589154a113c7545d04f16ae99b.jpg

20201121_203543.thumb.jpg.0a0775605cb3f366869af626fc826ad6.jpg

Surely even SS giving our images away free we get *some* commission?

Are you sure it hasn't sold?  Don't rely on the app - its useless.  Use the actual monthly list on the website to see if its sold.

And if it hasn't contact them.

FWIW google image search shows this image on Alamy too.  Was it from there?

Its also being used by stateindia, dailystarpost and plenty of other sites with the same SS creditation.  (Do a google reverse image search).

It would appear to have sold at least 10 times.

I didn't realise other sites were using it as well. Thanks for the info. I've been through my earnings summery on the website just now, month by month and that image definitely hasn't sold. I also have it on alamy as can be seen by the google reverse search but it hasn't sold there either. Plus its credited shutterstock on all of the sites, if it is indeed stolen, why would they credit who they stole it from?

I have emailed infringementclaims@shutterstock.com with my findings and waiting for a reply.

42 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

I didn't realise other sites were using it as well.

Travers, I've had two similar situations.  No sale on an image used twice by one website.  I contacted the user directly and after some double talk payment suddenly appeared.

In the second example, a photo sold exactly once for use on a radio station website.  Their network forwarded the story onto almost 85 seperate local radio station websites.  For that I was got paid just 10 cents!   Something else to watch for,  apparently buyers have the right to reuse your photo over and over without repurchase.

Thanks. I have emailed the Daily Mail to get their response as it looks like the article originated from there. Now it's just a waiting game to see who responds first, SS or the Mail.

11 hours ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

Something else to watch for,  apparently buyers have the right to reuse your photo over and over without repurchase.

I've found that too with an image I sold of a theatre, it keeps appearing on "The Stage" website multiple times, Ironically on stories about performance artists rights.   

4 hours ago, Travers Lewis said:

It could've but the image hasn't sold, at least from what I can see from my contributor dashboard.

That's what makes this most interesting. Credited to SS and never downloaded. I look forward to seeing what you find out.

Just for interest, look at the last page and move forward. Any 10c downloads will be there, as it was only downloaded one time, if you are correct?

https://submit.shutterstock.com/earnings/top-performers?page=1&date_range=0&sort_direction=desc&per_page=100&language=en

Of course I could be mistaken and it was downloaded before June and for more money? Just an idea. Not only that, sometimes it's fun to look back at what has sold. cheers.gif

15 hours ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

... a photo sold exactly once for use on a radio station website.  Their network forwarded the story onto almost 85 seperate local radio station websites.  For that I was got paid just 10 cents!   Something else to watch for,  apparently buyers have the right to reuse your photo over and over without repurchase.

That's called syndicated feed, also you mention network? See if the license allows that. (I'm a bit busy to always be finding answers in the TOS) It's not another use, it's one use. And of course, that stinks for 10¢ but just pointing out, it could be perfectly allowed use.

4 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Daily Mail is part of a large group and one of the sister companies may have purchased a license, which can be used across all the companies under the RF model 

Quite true, but the odd detail is, the image has no recorded downloads at all. I'm assuming that the daily mail doesn't have some plan, where all downloads are reported once a month. I always thought that SS downloads were relatively, real time, or at least the same day. I hope @Travers Lewis gets a clear answer.

23 hours ago, Travers Lewis said:

The funny thing is I haven't sold that picture but they have credited myself and Shutterstock.

It happens now and then (too often!) that images which haven’t been sold suddently pops up in a media. I think it’s like goods disappears from shoops without getting paid for - I think it’s called ‘shrinkage’. Do you have the image on other sites ..?

10 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

It happens now and then (too often!) that images which haven’t been sold suddently pops up in a media. I think it’s like goods disappears from shoops without getting paid for - I think it’s called ‘shrinkage’. Do you have the image on other sites ..?

Only on Alamy but not sold there. It's not on any of my social media either.

9 hours ago, Travers Lewis said:

Only on Alamy but not sold there.

I would go after Daily Mail first to get an answer where they got it from and then contact SS again. I have the idea that SS eventually pays out when they realize it’s their fault? God knows how many ‘slips’ there are ...? Lot of work for 10 cent, but I think this is about principles ...

Its not the first time its been heard of either - admittedly rate but there are a few forum and MSG forum posts from people with the same.

Most people wouldn't know - if an image has ever sold before, as you don't know who bought it, you have no idea if where you're seeing it was from that sale or not.

You can only track images for this use if they've never sold.  That makes me uncomfortable.

I've got a moderately sized portfolio - of the media thats sold, most have sold 10s or hundreds of times.  There's no way i can tell if any have been sold and not been paid for.

UPDATE:

I've just received an email response from the Daily Mail.

"Thank you for your email.

It may help to know that we have an account with Rex Shutterstcok for images used.

I'm afraid we are unable to comment on any arrangement you may have with them regarding payment - they are not a part of our publishing group.

We respectfully suggest that you take up this issue directly with them, as you advise you are doing."

Still nothing heard from Shutterstock yet.  @Kate Shutterstock Can you look into this please?

30 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

Iv'e just received an update from Shutterstock saying "There is no record of anyone downloading this image, including a comp".

I replied asking how to go forward as that's literally all the email said and didn't seem remotely interested that the image may have been stolen. 

Nice that you got an answer from SS.

Then I would go for Daily Mail - a lot more profit than SS 10 cent ...!

An interesting case ...

1 hour ago, Travers Lewis said:

Iv'e just received an update from Shutterstock saying "There is no record of anyone downloading this image, including a comp".

I replied asking how to go forward as that's literally all the email said and didn't seem remotely interested that the image may have been stolen. 

Next step i'd be sending them direct links and google image search hits showing that image along with the SS/yourname credit that appears.

They got it from somewhere and the Daily Mail isnt buying stolen SS images from Pakistanis on facebook - it has legal, paid for accounts.  This is entirely SS problem - it came from them for sure.

Again, if SS has missed this then how many more is it missing...

8 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

They got it from somewhere and the Daily Mail isnt buying stolen SS images

I’m sure you’re right. But the Travers have to have some evidence from Daily Mail when SS claimes that it’s not sold vua them. Embarrasing for SS if they are wrong and something that will not keep Daily Mail to buy images here.

4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

I’m sure you’re right. But the Travers have to have some evidence from Daily Mail when SS claimes that it’s not sold vua them. Embarrasing for SS if they are wrong and something that will not keep Daily Mail to buy images here.

It's not just the DM though - its on about 15 different unrelated sites in many different countries (not just the same group) all with his SS credit tag.

Very unlikely that someone stole it from one place and spread it to all those unconnected users.

Ultimately the image is only on Alamy or SS (not social media) so it had to originate from one of those.  And all the credit tags say it was SS.

This has happened before and eventually the bug got "fixed" for someone who got credited after complaining a lot so its not the first time this has been heard of.