1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

That works as long as you avoid uploading similars to micros.

I've uploaded them this batch from yesterday, which was nice to finally get some fresh air after an annoying two-week bout with Covid (all healthy now)!

Oh, also happy to report that I had a recent sale on Arcangel of some wine glasses and defocused bottles of liquor at a bar.

I guess I'll find out at the beginning of next month how much I'll earn (surely more than 10cents :D )

arcangel latest.JPG

671bae77-874b-46dd-8434-d599a9333f06.jpg

Oh, Alexandre, good to hear you left it behind you and that you are obviously doing well! That's the most important thing! I hope you don't have any of the after-effects that we often hear about. I wish you good health!

I'm taking my wife to get her shot on Wednesday. She works with young children in after school care – I actually always feel a little queasy. So I'm glad it's finally working out after many weeks of waiting.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guess they don't want us searching for greener pastures   My latest two accepted as book covers.  Kindly share your successes outside SS. 

My latest few accepted at Arcangel  

Filomena came bearing gifts. Latest four accepted potential book covers at Arcangel. New opportunities can't come soon enough as it's pretty much game over at micros at <30cent RPI/downlo

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Oh, Alexandre, good to hear you left it behind you and that you are obviously doing well! That's the most important thing! I hope you don't have any of the after-effects that we often hear about. I wish you good health!

I'm taking my wife to get her shot on Wednesday. She works with young children in after school care – I actually always feel a little queasy. So I'm glad it's finally working out after many weeks of waiting.

I'm well thanks, much improved (can't say the same about my microstock income year-on-year though!).

Would be great to sneak in some editorial shots if you can of your wife getting vaccinated! I'm sure those would sell but put them for sale where you're actually rewarded for the risk (assuming it's a restricted place). 

On 4/16/2021 at 7:49 AM, oleschwander said:

Yes the rejection rate at Arcangel is rediculous. 80 percent I would guess. But they are nit only looking for exellent technical quality. It’s more mood and creativity they want. It’s vary hard to find out what they want. It seems to me like lots of their rejections are more or less random ...

@PomInPerth

Interesting discussion started on this subject by Alex here:

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2021/04/23/making-sense-of-95-rejection-rate-at-arcangel-images-book-covers/

15 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Interesting discussion started on this subject by Alex here:

Thanks Debbie - always interesting what @Alexandre Rotenberg is posting. After my latest submission I would say it’s close to 100 percent. I’s like they just reject everything for no reason. And then again - when you see what others can get away with there. But alas, they must know what they are doing ....

9 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

Thanks Debbie - af ter my latest submission I would say it’s almost 100 percent. I’s like they just reject everything for no reason. And then again - when you see what others can get away with there. But alas, they must know what they are doing ....

My rejection rate is closer to Alex's for last month (the worst month ever) but much better for this month.  I think the reason it's better this month is that I'm doing stuff in my mini home 'studio'.  They seem to like that. Oh, and amazingly, I got a cat accepted 🙂

I so do agree with your comment about some other photos.  If you follow Arc on Instagram most of the time I love what's shown and then occasionally I think 'really?'.

Still, as you say, they must know what they are doing..they are after all, the experts.

Don't give up, I love your images (very atmospheric/arty) so I'm sure a publishing buyer will at some point too 🙂

Thanks for the comments and links. 

I've been thinking about it some more since publishing that piece and we must all remember that although Arcangel have been around since 2004, their collection is less than 1 million (831,926 to be exact on April 25, 2021). In other words, the number of images accepted on SS in just a month is greater than the whole Arcangel port many times over! SS used to publish these figures but no longer.

Therefore, the last thing Arcangel desire is a bloated collection with poor/mediocre potential book covers. If they were to let almost everything be accepted it would just frustrate their buyers, as well as contributors who would be confused as to why there are so many accepted images yet few sales. Arguably this is perhaps one of the reasons why they've consistently been able to maintain high license prices, while everybody here knows what's been happening elsewhere.

Arcangel are really looking for the best of the best...and Trevillion are even more picky (I've tried 2 times to be accepted with no success).

So, in conclusion, although the rejections are disheartening, it's part of the game to improve technically and most importantly for Arcangel, conceptually. Study the established ports on there and next time you're in a supermarket/bookshop see which covers are being used and how the designer has used the image(s) to create the particular cover. Or just Amazon

If you run out of ideas, there's always the "young attractive woman in a bright red coat running through the misty forest" that is the book-cover cliché for eternity :D   

This thread always inspires me to grab a camera and go and shoot something cool and possibly book cover worthy. Have yet to actually do it, but one of these days... any day now... soon. So, keep the thread alive!

10 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

This article offers interesting insight for budding book cover artists.

Some good and interesting thoughts about his posters.

By the way I love this one: “Creating poster art in the US film industry ... involves a large number of professionals and complex processes, including many trial-and-error cycles that make an art form out of rejection management, something that should probably be taught at design schools.” - wich is true for all creative businesses.

14 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Congratulations @Luisa Puccini

Your image is featured on Arcangel's Instagram 🙂

Really??? I need to follow Arcangel on Instagram! Thank you for letting me know!

11 hours ago, oleschwander said:

It's an amazing image ..! 👏

Thank you! It's an easy composite and snow and fog helped me to hide the elephant foot, which is the most difficult part to compose.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:24 AM, Milleflore Images said:

Thanks Alex. They are great photos of yours too! Very nice. 

My surprise venture outside of SS/microstock has been Fine Art America/Pixels.com. Lots of consistent regular sales there. Had over 20 sales there in the past month, including one large order for $160 (thats my commission/profit margin, not the order total), and another sale commission for $93.75.

I've been trying Etsy but only a couple of sales there. Still new so I'll keep going with it. 

Within microstock, AS has been going really, really well for me. My best sale there so far this month is a stop motion clip sale for $101.85 commission. And P5 is not bad either. 

I joined Fineart a few months ago - nothing yet - but fingers crossed!  Also Pond5 - again nothing yet, but here's hoping!

Well done on your sales - it gives me hope.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:52 AM, paula french said:

I joined Fineart a few months ago - nothing yet - but fingers crossed!  Also Pond5 - again nothing yet, but here's hoping!

I wish you all the very best Paula! You have a great port and fingers crossed, should do well there!

On 5/7/2021 at 5:22 AM, paula french said:

How long have you been on Pond5? I had one sale very quick after I joined in December 2019 and from there it was quiet with a sale every other month or so. Then it picked up well in late 2020 / early 2021 but has gone quiet again since March (ie: one sale for each March and April). One thing I like about Pond5 is you get a cool kind of celebratory email notification when you make a sale which I find inspiring. 

Thanks to the musings of @Alexandre Rotenberg and @PlopandShoot I've started uploading to Wirestock.

Today I've hit them with 100 creepy dolls.

One thing I've read on the MSG forum is to be wary of the 'Instant Pay' tab so I've turned it off although unfortunately I wasn't aware for my first 2 then I couldn't remove it.

Anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained.  I wouldn't have bothered without their in-house keywording option.

Time will tell if it was worthwhile, but without needing to do the keywording, there is very little effort involved.

13 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

Gosh! How many dolls do you have? Living in a dollhouse ..? 🤔

Are you trying to beat Oleg for being number one in dolls ...? 🤪

There are several very active dolls who get up to no end of trickery that I sometimes manage to capture on my camera.

One doll sadly fell apart when I was doing some photos for Arcangel.  She kind of disintegrated in freezing water and only her hand is left.  It's a tragedy really as the photos were rejected so she became a martyr.

Oleg is number one in everything.  Oleg has a direct line to the gods of this world.

Ref Oleg, in case anyone wonders what the flip we are are talking about:

15 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

Good luck! And you can write to them and opt-out of the instant pay program for all or some of your pictures. 

Thanks P&S.

Impressed, really impressed.  I also had to ask them to remove Sstock from my latest submission and they sent back a nice, polite, lucid, relevant reply saying they were doing so.

Wow.  Looks like actual people rather than robots work at Wirestock ✔️