• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guess they don't want us searching for greener pastures   My latest two accepted as book covers.  Kindly share your successes outside SS. 

My latest few accepted at Arcangel  

Filomena came bearing gifts. Latest four accepted potential book covers at Arcangel. New opportunities can't come soon enough as it's pretty much game over at micros at <30cent RPI/downlo

Posted Images

On 2/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, Svarun said:

Is stockstudio something like wirestock? Which agencies they work with?

Stockstudio have the option for mass-uploading to all agencies without taking any commission on sales. They're also a place to backup and manage your portfolio among a team (re-touching, key-wording and sharing). See all the features here.

They will be launching soon and I'll provide a detailed review.

4 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Stockstudio have the option for mass-uploading to all agencies without taking any commission on sales. They're also a place to backup and manage your portfolio among a team (re-touching, key-wording and sharing). See all the features here.

They will be launching soon and I'll provide a detailed review.

Based on cloud storage, that's interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, Steven Tritton said:

Anyone receive similar sales to the one this chap did in the video below?

Cue to the 13 minute mark...

Very interesting video Steven. Goes to show that it is numbers game. The bigger your portfolio the higher your income is likely to be. I have just visited Archangel's website which looks pretty impressive. If a publisher can pick up an image from AS or SS at a chip price then why will they have their own picture library and pay a big sum to the photographer?

25 minutes ago, Nishi Sharma said:

If a publisher can pick up an image from AS or SS at a chip price then why will they have their own picture library and pay a big sum to the photographer?

Because the images available for sale on Arcangel are exclusive to Arcangel and aren't available anywhere else for cheap. And a buyer can be assured that the quality checks are far stricter than what they find on the microstock sites. So anyone looking for a quality book cover would rather buy an image from an agency like Arcangel than microstock agencies.

1 minute ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Because the images available for sale on Arcangel are exclusive to Arcangel and aren't available anywhere else for cheap. And a buyer can be assured that the quality checks are far stricter than what they find on the microstock sites. So anyone looking for a quality book cover would rather buy an image from an agency like Arcangel than microstock agencies.

Yes, what you say makes sense. I used to shoot for books and magazine covers purely for that reason for editors. They were call commissioned jobs. Quality was paramount to them.

However, I would have thought that these days SS are pretty strict on quality though the older images might not have gone through stringent tests.

I mainly have videos at SS and, in the beginning, I found that their reject rate of my video clips was pretty high. Now I shoot with BMPCC 6K RAW and hardly get any rejections on technical grounds. I have not tried submitting stills to SS so don't know how stringent they are on their tech requirements.

1 minute ago, Nishi Sharma said:

However, I would have thought that these days SS are pretty strict on quality though the older images might not have gone through stringent tests.

The quality standards on SS used to be a lot more stringent than they are today. Nowadays, it's just inconsistent. Depending on your luck, you can have a perfect image rejected for noise/focus or you can get about the worst image full of noise and exposure issues accepted. An agency like Arcangel which handpicks images is far more trustworthy in that regard.

2 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

The quality standards on SS used to be a lot more stringent than they are today. Nowadays, it's just inconsistent. Depending on your luck, you can have a perfect image rejected for noise/focus or you can get about the worst image full of noise and exposure issues accepted. An agency like Arcangel which handpicks images is far more trustworthy in that regard.

That's a fair point. May I ask if you are contributor to Archangel or that is your expectation from an agency like that?

11 hours ago, PomInPerth said:

Rejection rate of about 70% so far... and no reason is given.

10 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Yes the rejection rate at Arcangel is rediculous. 80 percent I would guess.

I have decided not to work out my rejection rate as that might be depressing.  I do feel they have become stricter over the 5 months I've been contributing and I wonder whether this is because they have a lot more contributors than they once did.

Contributing to Arcangel begs the question 'how many book covers do they sell a year?' I suspect that the answer would be demotivating.  The ratio of sales to the images available would probably be a bit scary.

However, at the moment I will continue uploading as a creative outlet, but would obviously love a sale or two.

Time will tell.

All the best to both of you.

14 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

I do feel they have become stricter over the 5 months I've been contributing and I wonder whether this is because they have a lot more contributors than they once did.

Yes, but they are still searching for new contributors and urging existing contributors to keep uploading, uploading, uploading. And the bookmarket is enormeous!

The photos that you submit here, are they made exclusively for Arcangel?.

Or are they photos that are already at other agencies, but have been changed via image editing software and therefore look slightly different?

I myself have some motifs that I could imagine as a book cover, but they are already distributed at several agencies.  

Excuse my English, but this would also have been a difficult sentence in German 😉

42 minutes ago, Ralf Liebhold said:

The photos that you submit here, are they made exclusively for Arcangel?.

Or are they photos that are already at other agencies, but have been changed via image editing software and therefore look slightly different?

I myself have some motifs that I could imagine as a book cover, but they are already distributed at several agencies.  

Excuse my English, but this would also have been a difficult sentence in German 😉

Hi.  Arcangel are exclusive.  The images mustn't be on other stock sites.  I seem to remember that it's OK to have them on Pay on Demand sites but you would need to verify that.

I think they also don't like you to submit images from the same shoot as you submitted to a microstock site (ie similars) but unfortunately I can't check that as I can't find the information.  It's just in my brain and my brain is unreliable.

You shouldn't excuse your English.  It's excellent, especially compared to a lot of native English speakers' German 🙂

7 hours ago, PomInPerth said:

I tend to shoot and edit with Arcangel in mind, and submit there first. If rejected, then I see what from the shoot can go onto the micro sites.

That works as long as you avoid uploading similars to micros.

I've uploaded them this batch from yesterday, which was nice to finally get some fresh air after an annoying two-week bout with Covid (all healthy now)!

Oh, also happy to report that I had a recent sale on Arcangel of some wine glasses and defocused bottles of liquor at a bar.

I guess I'll find out at the beginning of next month how much I'll earn (surely more than 10cents :D )

arcangel latest.JPG

671bae77-874b-46dd-8434-d599a9333f06.jpg