Can Anyone Explain the Rate per Photo?

I am a fairly new contributor, and up to today have only sold a few photos at 0.1 dollar. But today I was thrilled to see I have sold an editorial photo for 10.63 dollars! Can anyone explain the rates per photo to me. Does a higher fee mean that the buyer has just signed up for a different package, or does it give them more rights to use the photo. Perhaps this is a really obvious question, and although I see the page that explains the percentage a seller gets in relation to their total sales, I can't find anything that explains my question. I have renewed hope that I might reach the magic 35 dollars before I am 100 years old.

2 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

There are different license types, which depend on the intended use for the image (or video)

https://www.shutterstock.com/license

There are also different packages under the different licenses, so it's a combo of both - intended use and size of package.

You could have just said "NO" 😉

Specifics are canofworms.gif

On 11/17/2020 at 6:13 AM, Ginny Sturdy said:

I am a fairly new contributor, and up to today have only sold a few photos at 0.1 dollar. But today I was thrilled to see I have sold an editorial photo for 10.63 dollars! Can anyone explain the rates per photo to me. Does a higher fee mean that the buyer has just signed up for a different package, or does it give them more rights to use the photo. Perhaps this is a really obvious question, and although I see the page that explains the percentage a seller gets in relation to their total sales, I can't find anything that explains my question. I have renewed hope that I might reach the magic 35 dollars before I am 100 years old.

Go to your Earnings page which will at least show you the different image earnings. Your $10 DL was probably not a subscription, but an On Demand, Extended or Single.  https://submit.shutterstock.com/earnings?

Look in the columns for the matching sale and see something about the license type.

10 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

True. I figured it might be slightly helpful, though :D

Yeah like explaining, "the meaning of life, the universe, and everything" (which is 42?)

An interesting fact is, the angle at which light reflects off water, to create a rainbow, is 42 degrees.

We get paid a flat rate sometimes or in other cases, depending on the license type, a percentage of what the buyer of the license pays, but depending on what they paid, we can get endless varied amounts as a commission. With that, 10¢ subs are easy to explain, as they are the guaranteed minimum. But that $10.63 is like a mystery of the universe. 😁

I just got a $2.94 On Demand. I have no idea why that number. In Oct. I got one for $2.45 and another for $1.94. So the hypothetical question from someone might be "How much do we get paid for an On Demand Download?"

Can Anyone Explain the Rate per Photo?  And the answer would be, there's no way to answer that question.

rofl.gif

Nice try though.