Most requested content in December.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:31 PM, oleskalashnik said:

I received a letter from the mailing list with recommendations. 

Does Shutterstock advise you to upload content about Christmas, Hanukkah or winter fun? Nah. You shouldn't have thought so. According to Shutterstock, the most demanded topic in our world, even on the eve of x-mas is THAT:

pidory.jpg.246829c7993e9638a99576eb2881c373.jpg

This is probably what the Western media want to implement their work (right or wrong)of educating the people considered ignorant and "not in step with the times" , along with the other various one-sided globalist battles over inclusivity, femminism, racism etc. etc. Whether this really interests a few people, and for someone  these images are disturbing, doesn't matter. So, if there is business there, probably it's correct the first place in "most requested content"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LGBT people are a smaller percentage of society. Less! And the advisers of Shutterstock put them at the beginning of their recommendations. As if this is the main priority, both for mass culture and a

It wouldn't surprise me if LGBT material is actually underrepresented on SS. Keep in mind that while there is surely an abundance, I would guess millions of little trees, snow, Santa photos and happy

That goes for you too. It is for the second time in a few days that you are calling people "narrow minded" if they post something that you consider discriminating (thought it is not) . The saying "if

Posted Images

21 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

Again I come back to, is that what is popular for SS as a company might have little relation to what is popular for a contributor. A few thousands of dollars a month in a niche may not even show up on their scorecards, but is easily the difference between success and failure for a small time shooter like me.

So that one-off term, or common mis-spelling (that someone once mocked me for), does work once in a while, and I smile on my way to the bank. Back when we got real SODs, something like "tahitian wedding chair" could net an easy 60-100 bucks. Not bad for a vacation snapshot.

I took a simple approach to keywords. I would get roughly half from a decent micro keywording tool, the most popular and relevant ones. Next I would put on my buyer hat and pick off those words and phrases that made the most sense for a search, and then I would add my "out there" keys that were very relevant, but also unlikely to be very popular. 

Case in point, a Beef dip is a common diner food worldwide, also called a French dip. A classic french dip does not have cheese on it (yes, many places have cheese as an option), so you can see easily that there are less than a dozen relevant images in the first page of that search. Add "au jus" to it (very common menu term that accompanies it), ie: "french dip au jus" and you have cornered the market for a very common sandwich, reducing 165 pages down to 1. If you shot vertically for at least a few, it cuts a vertical search down to almost nil (verticals are wonderful for articles and menus, and very few people supply them. Easily cut your competition by up to 60%).

As always, there is more than one way to do this. If something works for you, then that is the right way.

Stop already, that was one of my secret shoots. 😁 Now there will be 1,000 uploaded new in the next week. Just watch. I really did have that on my shoot list since we discussed the same, years ago. Just never got around to driving over 30 miles to a place that has a really good Italian Beef sandwich, with broth dip.

And seriously, that's why I sometimes just go and search for terms and themes and subjects that buyers might want, that aren't well covered.

I'm happy to keep this thread upbeat and positive about the actual subject. Yes you just gave away another top secret trick. Spelling something wrong in the keywords might MIGHT actually get views and help downloads. I'm not saying any of mine, but I have one I included by accident and there I am, the only images with the name spelled wrong. Who's to say, some buyer won't go phonetic as well?

ps whole different topic, and I know it's been kicked around on the forums before, but Whiskey and Whisky for example, depending on where in the world. Not as difficult as UK and USA versions of words, which can get pretty strange. English variations are useful to add in the keywords, just in case.

The bottom line is this. The only way to get a download and make some money, if first be seen. If buyers don't see our images, we can never make a sale. Having desirable, niche subjects is also helpful, because that way, we can be "page one" above the fold. (anyone know old newspaper terms?) And then, by having the best, brightest, sharpest, attractive image that actually matches the keywords. I go search and half the page, because people slap on anything for keywords, are images that aren't even what I searched for. In which case, being seen does nothing, because the buyer isn't searching for images with poorly matching keywords.

That's just for starters.

Lol, sorry Pete for outing some trade secrets. :) If it helps, I have yet to find any topic so saturated that you can't find a decent under-represented picture in it. People just have to be creative is all.

And I agree. Keeping the topic upbeat is the best defense against people who still struggle with the idea of equality (and yes, that is exactly what it is, in my opinion). 

On 11/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, PlopandShoot said:

Lol, sorry Pete for outing some trade secrets. :) If it helps, I have yet to find any topic so saturated that you can't find a decent under-represented picture in it. People just have to be creative is all.

And I agree. Keeping the topic upbeat is the best defense against people who still struggle with the idea of equality (and yes, that is exactly what it is, in my opinion). 

I just sold an image that I used diversity and multi-cultural as some of the key words. I'm never saying don't or it isn't a good idea, or there shouldn't be more. Just that trending, most popular? I'm kind of doubtful. It's like some sites that show most common words searched for. Which isn't "most common keywords for SOLD images". 🙂

"I have yet to find any topic so saturated that you can't find a decent under-represented picture" sliced vegetables, hot dog, speedy ducks, business handshake...? But seriously, many others are filled with unmarketable images, so thinking just numbers isn't all. Decent under represented is an ideal way to put that.

I always seem to think that trending is what I don't want to shoot, because so many other people are ready to pounce on that. My usual ideas are unusual ideas, be creative. I'm not that smart and not that creative, but for someone who is. Yes!

Yup, if you find a decent seller for you, the business model for SS is to get everyone else to shoot it as well. They make their cut no matter who sells it. The goal of SS is not to increase your sales, it is to increase theirs. If they are pushing diversity, the only reason I can see them doing it is to make money or to chase some potential money. 

So many different ways to do this. Some people love running with the latest big thing, and being the best or most noticible at it. Others (like me) like those quiet little areas where competitors don't go (remember how I got laughed at for fossilized dino-poop?). Lol, that "dumb" subject bought my tripod for me. 

(I no longer have my images on SS, so I don't care what secrets I give away now)

1 hour ago, Ackab Photography said:

Well, sounds fairy easy to find, will keep my eyes opened next time I go out for a shoot, wouldn't mind getting a new tripod.

Funny thing, the only difference in how a rock looks in a photo versus a fossil is the shape. ;) 

7 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

Yup, if you find a decent seller for you, the business model for SS is to get everyone else to shoot it as well. They make their cut no matter who sells it. The goal of SS is not to increase your sales, it is to increase theirs. If they are pushing diversity, the only reason I can see them doing it is to make money or to chase some potential money. 

So many different ways to do this. Some people love running with the latest big thing, and being the best or most noticible at it. Others (like me) like those quiet little areas where competitors don't go (remember how I got laughed at for fossilized dino-poop?). Lol, that "dumb" subject bought my tripod for me. 

(I no longer have my images on SS, so I don't care what secrets I give away now)

Exactly. That's why they changed the rules for admission to the money club when only one good shot was good enough to get in. Makes admitting all those one-hit wonders worthwhile when you have a few thousand of them.