Most requested content in December.

4 hours ago, oleskalashnik said:

OK. Read it again. December:

1. LGBT as a first trend in the list. 2. Home hobbies. 3. The art of plating. 4. The teenage years.

Do you see anything here on the topic of seasonal vacations, Christmas gifts, winter holidays? Winter sports? Health and colds?

Buyers buy their Christmas , Wintersport, etc images 6 to 12 months in advance so what they actually buy in December has nothing to do with Christmas, etc. That's why SS states 'This is what buyers buy in December'. It's exactly the same with Easter and most other Holidays they don't buy in the same month because they need time to launch their promotions.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LGBT people are a smaller percentage of society. Less! And the advisers of Shutterstock put them at the beginning of their recommendations. As if this is the main priority, both for mass culture and a

It wouldn't surprise me if LGBT material is actually underrepresented on SS. Keep in mind that while there is surely an abundance, I would guess millions of little trees, snow, Santa photos and happy

Regardless of your archaic personal views you ignore this segment to your own financial detriment. It has long been known that this community is asymetrically affluent and marketers here in North Amer

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Realistically the only way model photography works on here is if you're doing a shoot normally as a day job and just get a release signed to upload here for no extra cost.

I can't see it ever being profitable to pay a model for a shoot specifically for microstock.

Im lucky in that my "models" are work colleagues and the images collected are part of the day job (so they get paid nothing!).

I am doing vector 1 Hour a day. Currently I am unemployed. But still the output is not enough for the effort I have to give here.

If I stop uploading the downloads gets stopped. 

And I think people who started few years earlier and made big portfolio on here and other platform can do those model release works.

10 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Buyers buy their Christmas , Wintersport, etc images 6 to 12 months in advance so what they actually buy in December has nothing to do with Christmas, etc. That's why SS states 'This is what buyers buy in December'. It's exactly the same with Easter and most other Holidays they don't buy in the same month because they need time to launch their promotions.

Let's say you're right about Christmas. But what about the winter theme in general? In addition, the whole world is agitated by completely other questions, due to the covid crisis. The most relevant topics are: health insurance, medical research for a vaccine, telecommuting and distance education. So what's so special about December or January that buyers must craving a photos and illustrations about same-sex couples? How can you explain that?
Personally, I see only one explanation: Shutterstock is trying to attract investors from the LGBT lobby. That's all.

There is nothing reprehensible or dirty about it, but it has nothing to do with producing commercial content and analyzing hot actual demand at all.

5 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Again no, they *think* its a market because they're in an echo chamber.

Real world disagrees.

No, you disagree. 

You just have to watch the ads on TV to see the reality of what is going on. They are all racially diverse now. Images the same. Loads of corporations and other buyers jumping on the bandwagon. How long it will last remains to be seen but there is definitely a market for these kinds of photos and videos.

There is a lot more than "TV ads" (which fwiw i dont bother watching)

Outside the echo chamber of self-congratulatory wokeness the real world are still buying pictures of Christmas, winter scenes, environmental issues and animals than they are pictures of specific ethnic groups to tick some PC boxes.

There maybe a market but its nowhere near as big as the shouty people want to believe.  No figures anywhere back their claim up.

22 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

If Shutterstock were to write that Christmas photos are selling well in December, you'd be like, "Yeah, everyone knows that. Don't you know anything better?"
So whatever you think about it. This is a good idea as it is in the news a lot these days. Which really shouldn't be necessary.
But I keep photographing my poorly selling Dutch landscapes and insects. (and winter landscapes, snowmen when it finally starts snowing again in the Netherlands, saw nothing last year) . I like it better. 

Actually my Christmas and other holiday images, start selling in October and they are doing well right now and on other sites. Other than that, I think I'll skip the controversy which as usual was a firestorm of personal attacks, name calling, and accusations started by someone, who them removed all of her posts.

Both sides have valid arguments, but the OP was commenting, this is what SS is recommending as the number one trending subject, which he disagreed. Nothing he said was rude, bigoted, or critical of other people, their lifestyle or personal preferences, but just that SS had missed the trend, in his opinion.

And as Foodio says, these images are probably good all year round. Which is a good point, but also supports a fake attempt at a contrived trend promotion, when Holiday images, around the world, as people celebrate Thanks, Birth, rebirth or all kinds of traditional high days, religious celebration, rejoicing, which is much more valuable and that artists will sell more of those during these few months.

That's What's Really Trending. Holiday images.

5 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Actually my Christmas and other holiday images, start selling in October and they are doing well right now and on other sites. Other than that, I think I'll skip the controversy which as usual was a firestorm of personal attacks, name calling, and accusations started by someone, who them removed all of her posts.

Both sides have valid arguments, but the OP was commenting, this is what SS is recommending as the number one trending subject, which he disagreed. Nothing he said was rude, bigoted, or critical of other people, their lifestyle or personal preferences, but just that SS had missed the trend, in his opinion.

And as Foodio says, these images are probably good all year round. Which is a good point, but also supports a fake attempt at a contrived trend promotion, when Holiday images, around the world, as people celebrate Thanks, Birth, rebirth or all kinds of traditional high days, religious celebration, rejoicing, which is much more valuable and that artists will sell more of those during these few months.

How many of you are aware that next week is transgender awareness week? Just sayin...my IG feed is full of businesses large and small posting related content right now...but whatever.

45 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

What Shutterstock e-mails doesn't interest me that much, as I wrote in my second answer. I just didn't think it was something to worry about so much without accusing Oleskalashnik of anything.. Winter photos are known, Christmas as well. So I can imagine that they come up with something else.

Hopefully holiday photos will sell this year. Because in the Netherlands most stay at home because of Corona. Winter sports holidays are uncertain. We are still allowed to go to Curacao, because that is still a bit part of the Netherlands. Only there is now a curfew from 9 pm.

22 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Today I had 21 downloads so far. These brought me $4.02. That makes a RPD of $0.19. Then I have to deduct the fee from paypal for the conversion from US$ to Euro. That leaves $0,18 per image. Which I also have to pay tax on.

Does anybody seriously expect that you do model photography for the money and also fill out model releases?

I hear you. I've gotten pretty disenchanted with the whole stock thing lately. My last shoot with a model (who thankfully did it for free) has barely earned me enough to recoup the $20 that I spent on the prop. And it was a topic that was very much in the news at the time, I thought it would do really well.

Regarding the original topic: I'm sure that Christmas pics in general sell more than LGBT, but there are millions of traditional Christmas images already in the database, so not much need for more. But LGBT is a big thing in advertising these days. Advertisers are targeting the youngsters out there, and that's what the youngsters are thinking and talking about.

As @Former_Poster pointed out, it is likely for shallow reasons. To jump on the bandwagon, to not miss out on some trend. MONEY. You don't want to end up being the one company that seems unsupportive of LGBT and gets boycotted by the teens. And as someone who lives with two teens, I can tell you that this Generation Z has gone completely nuts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophobic. But I also know that LGBT is an extremely trendy thing among teens right now, to the point of where a lot of them describe themselves as bi-sexual, even if they are straight.     

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

there are millions of traditional Christmas images already in the database, so not much need for more.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

But I also know that LGBT is an extremely trendy thing among teens right now

Teenagers, really ..? Maybe. I thought it was a middle aged ‘intellectuals’ and media driven thing of political correctness ..! 🤔 But of course SS have to be on the band wagon like everybody else.

31 minutes ago, Milo J said:

Regarding the original topic: I'm sure that Christmas pics in general sell more than LGBT, but there are millions of traditional Christmas images already in the database, so not much need for more. But LGBT is a big thing in advertising these days. Advertisers are targeting the youngsters out there, and that's what the youngsters are thinking and talking about.

As @Former_Poster pointed out, it is likely for shallow reasons. To jump on the bandwagon, to not miss out on some trend. MONEY. You don't want to end up being the one company that seems unsupportive of LGBT and gets boycotted by the teens. And as someone who lives with two teens, I can tell you that this Generation Z has gone completely nuts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophobic. But I also know that LGBT is an extremely trendy thing among teens right now, to the point of where a lot of them describe themselves as bi-sexual, even if they are straight.     

Exactly!!! Don't forget non-binary and flow. LOL. Not cool at all with Gen Z to harbor old fashioned attitudes that aren't 110 percent inclusive. They're pretty exclusive that way. As I said earlier, ignore this to your own detriment but the smart money is also creating content for the future, not just what they believe is still current or in demand. If SS put out a call for this then obviously there are holes in the library they would like to fill. It's no secret that the Shot List has never necessarily reflected content that is actually in huge demand. It is usually a means to flesh out their collection. That is not to say however that there isn't a genuine demand for it. Even perhaps a very lucrative demand for the smart shooter who can capitalize on emerging trends or niches such as this, instead of just naysaying or denying that the market exists at all.

9 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

[quote] If SS put out a call for this then obviously there are holes in the library they would like to fill. [/quote]

I wouldn't assume that at all.  It could easily be something as simple as "Look how woke we are!!".

Ah, could be sure. But I would think if that were the intent then they would gain far more traction by posting a huge rainbow banner across their main splash page for everyone to see instead of burying it in a dark little corner of their website where only a handful of contributors are likely to stumble upon it.

1 hour ago, Foodio said:

Ah, could be sure. But I would think if that were the intent then they would gain far more traction by posting a huge rainbow banner across their main splash page for everyone to see instead of burying it in a dark little corner of their website where only a handful of contributors are likely to stumble upon it.

Have you seen their social media facebook/twitter feeds buyers end?  Its pretty much exactly as you describe...

4 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Have you seen their social media facebook/twitter feeds buyers end?  Its pretty much exactly as you describe...

Exactly what some of us have been trying to point out to some of you. Thousands of SM feeds, print ads, television ads, etc. with similar messages targeting a very specific demographic. Some of it subtle and some of it overt. Like it or not that is a market requiring content. In other words an opportunity.

1 hour ago, Foodio said:

Exactly what some of us have been trying to point out to some of you. Thousands of SM feeds, print ads, television ads, etc. with similar messages targeting a very specific demographic. Some of it subtle and some of it overt. Like it or not that is a market requiring content. In other words an opportunity.

That is what micro is all about. Be the trend! Not sure what all the "woke" stuff is about, they seem to be protesting a bit hard (I wonder why?).

Shouldn't be an issue for anyone. People love people, everything else is just logistics.

lol

3 hours ago, Foodio said:

No, *shutterstocks*.  Nobody elses.  Just outright virtue signalling "Look at us, we're so progressive".  Shot list is no different.

And neither are footed in the real world.  They're just desperately pretending to be something that most people really arent interested in or buying.

48 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

No, *shutterstocks*.  Nobody elses.  Just outright virtue signalling "Look at us, we're so progressive".  Shot list is no different.

And neither are footed in the real world.  They're just desperately pretending to be something that most people really arent interested in or buying.

Lol, including a demographic to make money is virtue signalling? Why so defensive? Who cares? Shoot what you want.

edit to add: I also think Shutter has amply demonstrated that their only goal is money. No altruism, "virtue signalling," contributor loyalty, or even client loyalty when you look at the myriad of complaints from paying clients, or anything else seems to play a part. Having followed Oringer on twitter for a long time, and other venue statements, I think you are projecting. If they say they want some specific content, it can only be because they believe they can sell it. 

8 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Again, sorry but from my perspective rooted in the real world is exactly what it is. What on earth would be the point otherwise?

Am I wrong or am I seeing a geographical/cultural/experiential difference of opinion here? None of what you say makes an iota of sense to me. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:01 PM, oleskalashnik said:

I received a letter from the mailing list with recommendations. 

Does Shutterstock advise you to upload content about Christmas, Hanukkah or winter fun? Nah. You shouldn't have thought so. According to Shutterstock, the most demanded topic in our world, even on the eve of x-mas is THAT:

pidory.jpg.246829c7993e9638a99576eb2881c373.jpg

Shutterstock has 14 MILLION Christmas images, its probably not high on their demand list. Their shot list is usually for things that they need more of.

Also, its too late to ask for holiday images, they usually give photographers more advance notice than that. (and yes, their Title "Most Requested in ..." is a bit of a misnomer.)  Go to the previous month's Shot List and you will see:

The act of giving

- It’s been a difficult year—but there’s still plenty to celebrate. In that spirit, customers will be searching for visuals of gift giving for their projects. - Images of presents, plus family and friends (in groups of no more than 6) opening gifts together will be very popular. - Snapshots of individuals writing, opening, and reading greeting cards will be searched for. - We recommend capturing visuals of family and friends sharing gifts through video calls.