Most requested content in December.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LGBT people are a smaller percentage of society. Less! And the advisers of Shutterstock put them at the beginning of their recommendations. As if this is the main priority, both for mass culture and a

It wouldn't surprise me if LGBT material is actually underrepresented on SS. Keep in mind that while there is surely an abundance, I would guess millions of little trees, snow, Santa photos and happy

Regardless of your archaic personal views you ignore this segment to your own financial detriment. It has long been known that this community is asymetrically affluent and marketers here in North Amer

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

LGBTQ+ content bears 'no relation to reality at all' in your opinion?  Maybe you need to enter the real world ....

LGBT people are a smaller percentage of society. Less! And the advisers of Shutterstock put them at the beginning of their recommendations. As if this is the main priority, both for mass culture and advertising, and for microstock contributors. That LGBT content is what buyers allegedly 'want' the most in December is ... a lie. This is a false commercial direction and a distorted picture of the world.

Just now, Studio 2 said:

What percentage of society do you believe LGBTQ+ people make up against heterosexual? Real statistics with real evidence please.

Revealed information is very approximate. That's 2 to 10 percent, according to various studies. But this is far from half. The bottom line is that most buyers are focused on completely different topics that have nothing to do with sexual preferences at all.

31 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Has it crossed your mind that because of narrow minded prejudiced people who want to believe that sexuality is a limited thing, many, many people who fall into the LGBTQ+ group wouldn't even complete an official survey for fear of being vilified?  The figure will be much, much larger than 2 - 10%.

This is typical behavior of a gay activist: if people tell him that they are heterosexual, he replies that they are lying. He is wishful thinking.

Perhaps you consider my post a provocation? But I think that a provocation is an advice to make lot of photos on the topic of LGBT people in December.

Just keep in mind that compulsory 'tolerance' one day will lead to dire consequences in whole society.

Regardless of your archaic personal views you ignore this segment to your own financial detriment. It has long been known that this community is asymetrically affluent and marketers here in North America are well aware of their buying power. The need for imagery catering to this group is not a "false commercial direction" no matter how much you wish it to be. 

22 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

You are posting on an open forum with people reading from all over the world from a variety of backgrounds and cultures and sexualities.  You shouldn't assume that everyone here will share your prejudices. 

That goes for you too. It is for the second time in a few days that you are calling people "narrow minded" if they post something that you consider discriminating (thought it is not) . The saying "if you don't like it don't read it" goes for you too. It is no need to transform every thread into a battlefield.

I really don't care about how much % sexuality makes up for Christmas but I am sure there are many other subjects in query, right now, for Christmas.

Please don't spread false information that you've read somewhere on the  forum. Christmas images sold in summer are mainly for printing but in my experience, right now it is a perfect time to sell them for so many other uses.

What is your experience in Christmas sales?

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

That goes for you too. It is for the second time in a few days that you are calling people "narrow minded" if they post something that you consider discriminating (thought it is not) . The saying "if you don't like it don't read it" goes for you too. It is no need to transform every thread into a battlefield.

It is narrow minded prejudice because Shutterstock's December shot list has other ideas listed but the OP chose to highlight the LGBTQ as if it's ridiculous. And his subsequent justification and retorts comes across as quite homophobic. You may choose not to see it but that's your choice.

So yes, it deserves to be called out. Also, as @Foodio pointed out, it's a very good idea to shoot LGBTQ images no matter what time of the year it is.

3 hours ago, Emily Veinglory said:

"That"?  Please keep in mind that many of your fellow contributors are GLBTQ+.  If you somehow think that isn't holiday-appropriate material, you are wrong.

Maybe they are, maybe they're not.

And even they'd accept this time of year people are buying Christmas, winter scene and other religious festival media in far far higher numbers than non-seasonal PC items.

The "shot list" has nothing to do with demand or sales which is what it claims to be - its entirely virtue signalling.

At this time of year there is a clear, main commercial trend and LBTQ+-QWERTY is not it.

35 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

It is narrow minded prejudice because Shutterstock's December shot list has other ideas listed but the OP chose to highlight the LGBTQ as if it's ridiculous. And his subsequent justification and retorts comes across as quite homophobic. You may choose not to see it but that's your choice.

So yes, it deserves to be called out. Also, as @Foodio pointed out, it's a very good idea to shoot LGBTQ images no matter what time of the year it is.

OK. Read it again. December:

1. LGBT as a first trend in the list. 2. Home hobbies. 3. The art of plating. 4. The teenage years.

Do you see anything here on the topic of seasonal vacations, Christmas gifts, winter holidays? Winter sports? Health and colds?

1 hour ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Thank you

I can read between the lines, I don't need anyone to interpret others' statements.
As I said before, if you don't like it, don't read it but if you have a solid argument (in general), be man enough to sustain it.

To tell someone where to get off and then delete your posts (or entire threads) doesn't inspire much confidence.

Have you even read the original comments?

So yes, this entire forum was transformed into another social media, that has nothing to do with photography or stock.

Carry on!

If Shutterstock were to write that Christmas photos are selling well in December, you'd be like, "Yeah, everyone knows that. Don't you know anything better?"
So whatever you think about it. This is a good idea as it is in the news a lot these days. Which really shouldn't be necessary.
But I keep photographing my poorly selling Dutch landscapes and insects. (and winter landscapes, snowmen when it finally starts snowing again in the Netherlands, saw nothing last year) . I like it better. 

I cant see how its a good idea telling people to take photos of things that this month really don't sell.  Thats the whole point of a monthly shot list.

Maybe if they had a more general "take images of this" a bit like Alamy or P5 briefs it could go in that but a monthly shot-list should really include stuff in demand *next month*

5 hours ago, oleskalashnik said:

I received a letter from the mailing list with recommendations. 

Does Shutterstock advise you to upload content about Christmas, Hanukkah or winter fun? Nah. You shouldn't have thought so. According to Shutterstock, the most demanded topic in our world, even on the eve of x-mas is THAT:

pidory.jpg.246829c7993e9638a99576eb2881c373.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if LGBT material is actually underrepresented on SS. Keep in mind that while there is surely an abundance, I would guess millions of little trees, snow, Santa photos and happy heterosexual families at home during Christmas on SS, LGBT stuff is likely harder to find, so it will sell better, it is as simple as that. It's probably a good and smart input here from SS. 

This said, you surely come out as homophobic with this post. Maybe it is not the case, but this is how it sounds. Best luck to you with your Christmas sales.

5 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Their email goes into my spam folder where it belongs

Today I had 21 downloads so far. These brought me $4.02. That makes a RPD of $0.19. Then I have to deduct the fee from paypal for the conversion from US$ to Euro. That leaves $0,18 per image. Which I also have to pay tax on.

Does anybody seriously expect that you do model photography for the money and also fill out model releases?

I feel like you, Alex: I don't look at these shot lists and I can't take them seriously.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Today I had 21 downloads so far.

Does anybody seriously expect that you do model photography for the money and also fill out model releases?

I feel like you, Alex: I don't look at these shot lists and I can't take them seriously.

• Today I had 3 downloads so far 😞  I do something wrong.
  • Oleskalashnik is an illustrator (a really nice port). He hasn't to pay for a model and don't need a model release, but I don't think he is interested 🙂.
  • Without this topic I hadn't looked at these shot lists too. I prefer to look at the ports of good photographers and illustrators to learn something, to enjoy. 

image.gif

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Today I had 21 downloads so far. These brought me $4.02. That makes a RPD of $0.19. Then I have to deduct the fee from paypal for the conversion from US$ to Euro. That leaves $0,18 per image. Which I also have to pay tax on.

Realistically the only way model photography works on here is if you're doing a shoot normally as a day job and just get a release signed to upload here for no extra cost.

I can't see it ever being profitable to pay a model for a shoot specifically for microstock.

Im lucky in that my "models" are work colleagues and the images collected are part of the day job (so they get paid nothing!).

8 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Realistically the only way model photography works on here is if you're doing a shoot normally as a day job and just get a release signed to upload here for no extra cost.

I can't see it ever being profitable to pay a model for a shoot specifically for microstock.

Im lucky in that my "models" are work colleagues and the images collected are part of the day job (so they get paid nothing!).

So it is not only the contriubutors who have to suffer from the fact that the shareholders have to get more money, but also the models?