November video sales?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since you are just beginning, let me give you some advice . . . a higher commission is a false promise if you don't have as many sales.  Don't get hung up on the percentage, look at the total income y

63 downloads for a total of $1,987.82, so far in November.  That's an average of $31.53 per sale. I've got a backlog of 2500 new 4K clips I shot over the the summer that are all edited, and grade

Was just coming in to post about this. Just had another sale on pond5 bringing this to three video sales for this month at an average $28 per video. This follows last month with three video sales on P

Posted Images

On 11/24/2020 at 6:05 AM, Primus1 said:

Thank you, Blvdone! Yea, it is kind of bad investment to put time into stock footage this time.

That's too bad.  For me it is a great investment to put more time into stock footage.  My hourly income for the work I have to do is still above $230/hour.  Where else am I going to make that kind of money without having to answer to clients and also work on someone else's schedule?  For me, this a great time to invest more into creating a good portfolio.

If someone isn't making a good return for the time they are putting into stock, then they are missing one of these three elements:

1)  Subject matter that customers actually have a need for.

2)  Good production values (exposure, composition, focus, white balance, grading, etc.)

3)  Excellent metadata (keywords and descriptions) so customers can find it.

When someone ticks all three of those boxes, then they will have an excellent chance of making some sales.  So if you aren't making money, take a step back and evaluate where you are going wrong.

41 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

That's too bad.  For me it is a great investment to put more time into stock footage.  My hourly income for the work I have to do is still above $230/hour.  Where else am I going to make that kind of money without having to answer to clients and also work on someone else's schedule?  For me, this a great time to invest more into creating a good portfolio.

If someone isn't making a good return for the time they are putting into stock, then they are missing one of these three elements:

2)  Good production values (exposure, composition, focus, white balance, grading, etc.)

When someone ticks all three of those boxes, then they will have an excellent chance of making some sales.  So if you aren't making money, take a step back and evaluate where you are going wrong.

Hi Doug I have a question for you, do you think that with your portfolio of around 8K plus footage in a site like pond5 with (exclusivity option enabled, thats 60% of royalties for you, more than $30 + p/video,), that you could be making even more money than you are here? could it be that you could be making 2 to 3 times as much? I´m starting to make sales over there and my port is small when it comes to footage. Nothing happens here other than image sales for me.

Best! I´m looking forward to building my footage to be your size and since I see no sales here or anywhere else for that matter other than Pond5 I´m planning on going exclusive.

2 minutes ago, Cappelletti_pictures said:

Hi Doug I have a question for you, do you think that with your portfolio of around 8K plus footage in a site like pond5 with (exclusivity option enabled, thats 60% of royalties for you, more than $30 + p/video,), that you could be making even more money than you are here? could it be that you could be making 2 to 3 times as much? I´m starting to make sales over there and my port is small when it comes to footage. Nothing happens here other than image sales for me.

Best! I´m looking forward to building my footage to be your size and since I see no sales here or anywhere else for that matter other than Pond5 I´m planning on going exclusive.

I have some clips at Pond5 that I submitted as a test a couple of  years ago and those clips sell far better here at Shutterstock then they do a Pond5 .  But with that said, I do intend to send almost my entire portfolio over to Pond5 when I get around to it, but I won't change anything here at SS. Every time I have compared sales of the same clips at SS and anywhere else, SS is always the best performer -- by far.  As I said before, higher commission percentages or exclusivity or are worthless if the downloads aren't there to back them up.  It is the bottom line dollar figure at the end of the month that matters.  Everything else is just statistics that can't be put in the bank.

4 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

BTW, I already average more than $30 per download at SS.

Cool I understand, I was theorizing that maybe you could be making twice as much as exclusive over there. But those things can be dependent on time as the search engines give you higher exposure as you go and upload and as sales occur.

16 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Thank you very much for your suggestions, Mr. Jensen! I highly appreciate your time and answer to my question why sales are not good for some of us. Thank you! :)

Wow! $230 per hour? Woha! That is ... more than splendid. I do not have an idea, where to make such ammount per hour - well, consider out sorts of laywers, hi tech workers, lottery, ... etc.

I always though I have kind of middle good shoots. But now, those aren't in demand any more. I think middle rich companies do not invest in stock footage a lot these days (crissis), those who remain, top companies, buy from authors like you are, like Blvdone and other pro authors here are.

I am waiting new camera, we discouss about. :) Will give a chance to new R5 soon. Perhaps one day, as you suggest me, some C200, C300.

I am kind of big fan to RED, but it is heavy, clumsy, etc. Time consuming to shoot half an hour and spend half an hour to put it together and get it done. I guess.

I know; better camera will not bring better ideas, only technically better clips.

Thank you, Mr. Jensen! All the best to you!

Congrats on the continued success, Doug!  I've got a bunch of ideas for time-lapses myself, especially storm clouds swirling in 1 frame per 2 seconds intervals when the rainy season returns in Florida.  I've had to start a new 50-60 hour a week steady job to bring in enough immediate cash to live on, which is demanding all my time and energy.  My priority right now is performing adequately at the job, getting enough sleep in between shifts and exercising, bike riding and working out in the gym, to stay healthy.

The dream of enough residual income to live on and some money to save rolling in, rain or shine, good times or bad economically, without having to deal with clients, being in control of my own time, working when I want to, is still a very enticing lifestyle indeed.  Maybe if things settle down in this job and I have a little more time to play with next year in 2021...

In other gambling with our time to generate residual income activities, I've been beefing up my Youtube channel, to get more subscribers, likes and views, eventually attract Google AdSense revenue.  I've been having all my old Super 8mm movie films, from family memories to Spielberg-type backyard productions, that I did as a kid and teenager, transferred to digital video in 2K resolution using the Retroscan Mark II scanner by a company called Family Videos on DVD in NJ.  The transfers look great (as great as grainy, frequently out of focus, under and overexposed, 45+ year old, scratched up by the projector Super 8mm film can look, anyway) and they are getting views!

On 11/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, blvdone said:

I've always sold more on Pond5 than Shutterstock or Adobe Stock.  I started on Pond5 2 years before I joined Shutterstock.

I think this is precisely why you are doing well over at P5. Your clips had a head start of two years there.

For me, SS is selling more regularly than P5. Also, different clips sell at different agencies. My bestseller here has never sold at P5, and vice versa. I get how you and others are angry at the low commissions that are possible here. My lowest clip sale this month was for $0.43 - insulting indeed. But had I disabled my port, I would also have missed out on a $38 one. And, like Doug, I do not subscribe to the notion that the buyer would have gone around to other agencies to find that clip.

Regarding November of last year: I had zero sales then, so am definitely up this year over last. But I don't have a huge port, so my clip sales tend to be all over the place anyway.

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

That problem was solved in January.  It was a disgusting problem.

why is this a problem? On the contrary.
You just need to take into account that the exclusive sells in comparison with the non-exclusive + 20% commission, and besides that, you do not lose income from adob. Therefore, to approach purely arithmetic to the Pond exclusive by adding 20 percent is a wrong calculation.

23 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Congrats on the continued success, Doug!  I've got a bunch of ideas for time-lapses myself, especially storm clouds swirling in 1 frame per 2 seconds intervals when the rainy season returns in Florida.

One of the best things about living in Florida are the skies. Always beautiful.  But don't make the mistake of thinking those time-lapses will sell.  They are a dime a dozen and anyone can shoot them.  If you add a slider and maybe something unusual to the foreground that will increase their chances, but the odds of you making money from a time-lapse of clouds are pretty low.  In the amount of time you spend on it, you could shoot several clips that would have higher chances of success.  Of course, if you are shooting them for pleasure, that it a different matter.

I just got back from spending a week in Jupiter and I got some great clips (didn't waste my time with the lighthouse because it has probably been done to death) that might eventually cover the cost of the trip.  Look around your area of Florida with the eyes of an outsider and I'll bet you'll see some opportunities you have overlooked.

11 hours ago, Milo J said:

@Mike Kuhlman: I wonder if some of that old super 8 film would be worthwhile uploading, if you could somehow get it past the noise & focus police... maybe someone could use such footage for some sort of documentary.

My wife has  a bunch of old 16mm home movies from her grandfather of JFK in a New York motorcade and the Hindenburg flying over Massachusettes that we had transferred to ProRosHQ.  "Never before seen footage."  But I won't be putting that kind of high-value content on SS where a buyer could potentially get their hands on it for a couple of bucks.

2 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

In the amount of time you spend on it, you could shoot several clips that would have higher chances of success.

Right on, Doug--thanks.  I'm going to shoot ground level POVs moving through people, structures and foliage, put the camera in the water with the waves lapping the lens, too. 

I just crossed three figures on Pond5 which is a first for me and my BME there. Started uploading there in December 2019 so I think clips take a little while longer to get noticed in search engines. I really hope the platform can continue to perform but I still have my clips on Shutterstock. I think posting clips to the three main platforms - Shutter, Adobe Stock and Pond5 covers your base well in this industry. 

3 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

I think posting clips to three main platforms - Shutter, Adobe Stock and Pond5 covers your base well in this industry. 

I agree. And unless you have some very, very special footage that nobody else can match, disabling your portfolio at any of them after clips have been submitted and been approved is just foolish.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:27 AM, Doug Jensen said:

Well said! That's about it in a nutshell. 

9 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

My wife has  a bunch of old 16mm home movies from her grandfather of JFK in a New York motorcade and the Hindenburg flying over Massachusettes that we had transferred to ProRosHQ.  "Never before seen footage."  But I won't be putting that kind of high-value content on SS where a buyer could potentially get their hands on it for a couple of bucks.

The only other thing I can think of, for anyone who has rare footage, is to request a second Pond 5 account for exclusive clips, and upload it just there. Then one can set their own price as high as they want, plus its 60% commission.

I wouldn't put it on a non-exclusive P5 account because P5 can reduce prices on those if they want to, but they don't on exclusive listings. 

44 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

The only other thing I can think of, for anyone who has rare footage, is to request a second Pond 5 account for exclusive clips, and upload it just there. Then one can set their own price as high as they want, plus its 60% commission.

I wouldn't put it on a non-exclusive P5 account because P5 can reduce prices on those if they want to, but they don't on exclusive listings. 

Very good advice.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

I just crossed three figures on Pond5 which is a first for me and my BME there. Started uploading there in December 2019 so I think clips take a little while longer to get noticed in search engines. I really hope the platform can continue to perform but I still have my clips on Shutterstock. I think posting clips to the three main platforms - Shutter, Adobe Stock and Pond5 covers your base well in this industry. 

Congrats!  Don't waste your time uploading photos to Pond5 though.  Photo sales on Pond5 is almost non-existent.  I would upload all the editorial clips to Pond5 exclusive account and get 60% royalty out of $79 HD and $199 4k clip.  I experimented with pricing of 4k videos on Pond5, but I didn't see any difference in number of sales when I priced it at $129 or $199.  If somebody want/need a 4k clip, they pay regardless of the price.  $199 is the same as Adobe Stock's price.  So, there's no need to make it lower than that. I wouldn't upload my editorial clips to Shutterstock especially when you don't have many clips and your royalty will reset to 15% in January 2021.