November video sales?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since you are just beginning, let me give you some advice . . . a higher commission is a false promise if you don't have as many sales.  Don't get hung up on the percentage, look at the total income y

63 downloads for a total of $1,987.82, so far in November.  That's an average of $31.53 per sale. I've got a backlog of 2500 new 4K clips I shot over the the summer that are all edited, and grade

Was just coming in to post about this. Just had another sale on pond5 bringing this to three video sales for this month at an average $28 per video. This follows last month with three video sales on P

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Tawrat Ferdousi Branding said:

Oh great great. How many item do you have on your exclusive portfolio? did you got sale there? Yes, for still SS is doing it's job.

Atm I have 44 videos with some waiting to be approved, 89 if all get through approval. I've had 2 sales there so far, the last one was for a broadcast licence so that bumped up the price a bit. 

63 downloads for a total of $1,987.82, so far in November.  That's an average of $31.53 per sale.

I've got a backlog of 2500 new 4K clips I shot over the the summer that are all edited, and graded, and waiting to upload as soon as I have time to do the metadata.  In October I submitted three clips for the first time since last spring and one of them is already selling great.  In fact, it sold for the first time within 48 hours of submission, which is a new record for me.  I hope more people decide to quit SS or deactivate their portfolios.  It just makes it that much easier for the rest of us to make money.  Some people are their own worst enemy.

25 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

For someone with a good quality large back catalogue like you it makes sense to keep it up, as you've already done the hard work. Even with SS's 85% share of your earning you're still doing well.

I just can't get that motivated for 15% commission. 

I don't know about you, but my commission is 30% and my average royalty per download is $31. Not only will I continue to reap additional income from clips already in my portfolio, I have every intention of continuing to submit regularly.  If someone is still at a 15% commission then obviously they have not done the necessary work that is needed to earn more. It is not hard to get over that 15% hurdle.

15 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I don't know about you, but my commission is 30% and my average royalty per download is $31. Not only will I continue to reap additional income from clips already in my portfolio, I have every intention of continuing to submit regularly.  If you are still at a 15% commission then obviously you have not done the necessary work that is needed to earn more. It is not hard to get over that 15% hurdle.

I've only just got into uploading video for stock. I personally decided to join a site where there is no hurdles and hoops to jump through to get a fair commission. 

Each to their own, you're happy here so stay, I'm not telling anyone to leave. You have a good port and know what your doing, but for someone just starting in video, that 15% is a hard pill to swallow.

14 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

I've only just got into uploading video for stock. I personally decided to join a site where there is no hurdles and hoops to jump through to get a decent commission. 

Each to their own, you're happy here so stay, I'm not telling anyone to leave. You have a good port and know what your doing, but for someone just starting in video, that 15% is a hard pill to swallow.

Since you are just beginning, let me give you some advice . . . a higher commission is a false promise if you don't have as many sales.  Don't get hung up on the percentage, look at the total income you receive for your time and effort.  Would you rather have 90% of $1000 per month or 30% of $10,000 per month?   Look at the total income.  None of the other agencies brings in the kind of money for me that Shutterstock does on the exact same clips.  Plus, if you are submitting to one agency, why not othesr?  Why limit sales? The idea that somehow someone's overall income will be boosted if a buyer can only stumble across their content on one platform is a crock of crap.  Disabling a portfolio after the hard work has already been done is a really stupid plan.  Don't listen to fools.

Sorry for the slight off-topic, but do you guys find that your videos get rejected blanketly on the first submission? Then, on the second submission I usually get the same results - all are rejected, however, the rejection reasons may vary from the first go-round. So, I resubmit yet again and, if my videos get rejected then, I usually give up.

Very frustrating.  Especially knowing that the videos are fine. I haven't changed anything in the way I shoot or process my videos since the time they were getting accepted at healthy clip.

Have you guys been having similar experience lately?

On 11/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, Doug Jensen said:

63 downloads for a total of $1,987.82, so far in November.  That's an average of $31.53 per sale.

I've got a backlog of 2500 new 4K clips I shot over the the summer that are all edited, and graded, and waiting to upload as soon as I have time to do the metadata.  In October I submitted three clips for the first time since last spring and one of them is already selling great.  In fact, it sold for the first time within 48 hours of submission, which is a new record for me.  I hope more people decide to quit SS or deactivate their portfolios.  It just makes it that much easier for the rest of us to make money.  Some people are their own worst enemy.

Congrats!!  Has your video sales increased from November 2019 on Shutterstock?

On 11/19/2020 at 4:08 PM, Doug Jensen said:

Since you are just beginning, let me give you some advice . . . a higher commission is a false promise if you don't have as many sales.  Don't get hung up on the percentage, look at the total income you receive for your time and effort.  Would you rather have 90% of $1000 per month or 30% of $10,000 per month?   Look at the total income.  None of the other agencies brings in the kind of money for me that Shutterstock does on the exact same clips.  Plus, if you are submitting to one agency, why not othesr?  Why limit sales? The idea that somehow someone's overall income will be boosted if a buyer can only stumble across their content on one platform is a crock of crap.  Disabling a portfolio after the hard work has already been done is a really stupid plan.  Don't listen to fools.

I just don't like my 4k clips given away for $9 while it's sold for $199 on Pond5 and Adobe Stock.  I get $3 from SS for those video subscription 4k video sale while I get $70-120 on Pond5 and Adobe Stock.  So, so far I don't regret un-licensing videos on Shutterstock.  If Adobe Stock starts accepting editorial video clips, it'll be even better.  It's all about your business strategy. Mine is different from yours.  I hate giving out my clips for a few dollars.  I really hate it and don't allow it.  I would rather see those sites that sell our clips for a few dollars disappear.  I want to be in control of my product's price.  Sorry, I'm not a big time like you are.

6 hours ago, Roman Tiraspolsky said:

Sorry for the slight off-topic, but do you guys find that your videos get rejected blanketly on the first submission? Then, on the second submission I usually get the same results - all are rejected, however, the rejection reasons may vary from the first go-round. So, I resubmit yet again and, if my videos get rejected then, I usually give up.

Very frustrating.  Especially knowing that the videos are fine. I haven't changed anything in the way I shoot or process my videos since the time they were getting accepted at healthy clip.

Have you guys been having similar experience lately?

I think all the first submissions are judged by AI on both photos and videos.  I tend to get accepted more when I re-submit them with "previously submitted" notice pull down checked.

27 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I think all the first submissions are judged by AI on both photos and videos.  I tend to get accepted more when I re-submit them with "previously submitted" notice pull down checked.

I dont even bother with the previously submitted box and they still get in.  I think its just random depending how big their review queue is at the time.

56 minutes ago, blvdone said:

Just calculated my RPD on Pond5 exclusive account this month.  It's $61.

My RPD for video this month on SS is $28.  

On P5 its $34.....but ive sold exactly 1 video this month on P5.  In terms of actual earnings on video this month the difference between the two is many hundreds of dollars.

1 hour ago, Former_Poster said:

My RPD for video this month on SS is $28.  

On P5 its $34.....but ive sold exactly 1 video this month on P5.  In terms of actual earnings on video this month the difference between the two is many hundreds of dollars.

I've always sold more on Pond5 than Shutterstock or Adobe Stock.  I started on Pond5 2 years before I joined Shutterstock.  Some people do better on Shutterstock of course.    Didn't know about Shutterstock till a guy at Shutterstock messaged me on Pond5 message to try here.  Had a great 7 years or so here, but just don't want to undercut myself by selling 4k video for $9 to clients with the biggest budget who can afford the biggest annual subscription plan.  They would definitely be able to pay full $199 on Pond5 or Adobe Stock instead.  Selling $199 clip for $9 is not my business model.

3 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Not good in November. About 1/3 of October so far. And miles away from past years. Nothing to be proud at ... :( P5 nothing better ... AD equals 0. I will have to postpone investment into new gear - looks so. Bleak!

Sorry to hear that.  My Pond5 sales is on pace to 30% up from November 2019 and Adobe Stock is on a pace to 50% up from November 2019.  SS is zero of course because I un-licensed my video portfolio.

22 minutes ago, blvdone said:

Sorry to hear that.  My Pond5 sales is on pace to 30% up from November 2019 and Adobe Stock is on a pace to 50% up from November 2019.  SS is zero of course because I un-licensed my video portfolio.

Thank you, Blvdone! Yea, it is kind of bad investment to put time into stock footage this time. If you do not have such splendid port as you do (P5), then it is invain. Simply because only strogest and most important companies invest into stock footage at this time, and they buy top-noch products like you and some other authors here have. I am not among them at this time. I however put old photos to SS. I have to stay in good shape! ;)

You have superior numbers, comparing 2019-2020! Congratulations. Deserved improvement and sales. :) It is great to hear that stock footage is not a dead letter on a paper. I hope world crisis will improve and sales will be back for not so brilliant authors too.