So, for some time I am frustrated by the senseless rejections, and now I am beyond that point. This image below was rejected with the reason, TOO MUCH NOISE and I am kindly asking everybody to tell me, where is that awful noise? I am writing about this because I am here to learn and to progress and to make money for Shutterstock and for myself, but I am really baffled now. I have spoken to a good friend of mine who is one of those top tier stock photographers. He is making a fortune out of his portfolio, while I am making cca 30 dollars per month here. That wont be the problem, If I haven't inspected some of his photos yesterday. They are all great! He is a professional and he should sell and earn that much and even more, because as I've said, he is a really good photographer, but I am sure that if his photos were sent through my account, whey will be in a garbage in no time. By the standards of my SS reviewers, they are FULL of noise and really not that sharp, yet, as he claim, SS is rarely declining his photos. A lot of his photos are really popular, yet, they are full of normal mistakes that the camera is making etc. I am now working for hours on a single shoot to remove all that noise, and to really please those reviewers and yet, my income is not making that steep progress. Can anybody tell me, why are there those double standards? I get it, worked a lot more than me here, I had a big pause, I haven't forked full time on SS for ages, but now I am really trying hard to punch my way through here, and that progress is really not that visible, and I am  working with my patience on how to correct that. But that wont be at all easy if all that was killed with the senseless declining of my photos with the reasons that are not that obvious. Thanks to everybody for help, I really need it because I am not here to waste my time, and the time of other people, but only to progress, thanks again.

MRK_9664.jpg

It looks to me like you have opened up this image too far because the original image was under exposed, and this has caused issues resulting in your rejection. Looking at it at 100% nothing is clean and sharp, it is all a bit motley.
It's a case of in future getting it right in camera so you don't have to push the high key effect too far when editing. Or if this was artistic intention, you need to say so in the description. This makes it clear to the reviewer and buyer what the image is about, otherwise both will be expecting tack sharp, clean, technically correct images. 

What I love about your photo is the model!
Simple, gorgeous :)
Some noise is present, especially in the shadows. But, there is a lot of garbage in the photo. A lot of empty space at the top.
Why are these white spots on the sides, from which there are round halos?
Some places in the photo are overexposed.
Yes, and for the master who laid the floor for you, I would cut off your hands, or, at best, whipped with rods :)
Sorry if that, but I would not buy this photo.
You asked to criticize - I criticized. Nothing personal.

1 hour ago, Shultay Baltaay said:

Cool, but you are not a professional photographer by the looks of your portfolio, so no argue there.

Simple, gorgeous :)
Some noise is present, especially in the shadows. But, there is a lot of garbage in the photo. A lot of empty space at the top.
Yes, and for the master who laid the floor for you, I would cut off your hands, or, at best, whipped with rods :)

1 hour ago, Martin Ludlam said:

Thanks dude, but the system is bollocks then. Their explanation was NOISE, and this was simple windows that are not properly washed. What do they want from me, complete venue renovation prior to taking this photo? One time the rejected my photos due to same reason, so noise it was, and those were birds in the background, absolutely no noise, and let me clarify my question here again, they DO accept a lot of noise, but not from us small time players, and that IS bollocks!

Hi Marko. There seems to be some rain on the windows not sure if the system is picking this up as noise.

you could send a message to the reviewer and explain this915275302_spotswindow.jpg.f5c85c1733b4e4d3a4d3cc8dada163bd.jpg

2 hours ago, Martin Ludlam said:

Thanks dude, but the system is bollocks then. Their explanation was NOISE, and this was simple windows that are not properly washed. What do they want from me, complete venue renovation prior to taking this photo? One time the rejected my photos due to same reason, so noise it was, and those were birds in the background, absolutely no noise, and let me clarify my question here again, they DO accept a lot of noise, but not from us small time players, and that IS bollocks!

Hi Marko. There seems to be some rain on the windows not sure if the system is picking this up as noise.

you could send a message to the reviewer and explain this915275302_spotswindow.jpg.f5c85c1733b4e4d3a4d3cc8dada163bd.jpg

In addition to the fact that you do not know how to process photos, you also do not know how to make quotes on the forum. Well, never mind, it's never too late to learn and it's not shameful.

The main thing is to want to learn!

What do they want from me, complete venue renovation prior to taking this photo? 😄😅:lol:

Marko, but these are your problems:)  Do you want your photo to be accepted?

1 hour ago, Marko Subotin said:

Cool, but you are not a professional photographer by the looks of your portfolio, so no argue there.

Simple, gorgeous :)
Yes, and for the master who laid the floor for you, I would cut off your hands, or, at best, whipped with rods :)

Marko, when did I say that I am a professional photographer?:rolleyes:

Professional, or not professional - this can be discussed for a long time, but I see no point in this.
Let's do it differently. You are sending me a RAW, and I will try to make renovation in your studio. I can't guarantee success - but I can try.

42 minutes ago, Shultay Baltaay said:

Have fun in a process of learning to obtaining a model release from your subjects.

In addition to the fact that you do not know how to process photos, you also do not know how to make quotes on the forum. Well, never mind, it's never too late to learn and it's not shameful.

The main thing is to want to learn!

What do they want from me, complete venue renovation prior to taking this photo? 😄😅:lol:

Marko, but these are your problems:)  Do you want your photo to be accepted?

Marko, when did I say that I am a professional photographer?:rolleyes:

Professional, or not professional - this can be discussed for a long time, but I see no point in this.
Let's do it differently. You are sending me a RAW, and I will try to make renovation in your studio. I can't guarantee success - but I can try.

13 minutes ago, Darla Hallmark said:

Yes.

You will notice that other photographers are able to do that.  If we can't clean the windows before taking the photo, we clean them with the clone tool afterward.

Ok, but I am telling you that for example, that friend of mine is not doing all of that. He's Images are full of genuine noise, and they are selling, a lot.

40 minutes ago, Marko Subotin said:

Ok, but I am telling you that for example, that friend of mine is not doing all of that. He's Images are full of genuine noise, and they are selling, a lot.

Why those are selling ? If you can find the answer to that, my friend, you will go a long way. Do not forget to share with us also.

All the best !

Regards,

Rudra

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry about that image, toss it and reshoot.

Sharpness - The difference between the smallest juxtaposed details in the image.

Most people do not know which setting on their camera-lens-tripod has the most control over sharpness and it's dark-side noise. Do you know which control it is? Is it the shutter speed, aperture, locking up the mirror (if your camera has that), proper use of the tripod, cable release or self timer, manual focusing vs. auto focusing, depth of field, vibration reduction, raw file, jpeg file, zoom lens, prime lens, filters, white balance or the shooting mode?

It's none of those. This control is so important that one can get all the other things set correctly and still have noise. The camera setting that has the most control over sharpness and noise is the ISO. I suggest that you shoot an ISO test so you can see what ISO numbers do to sharpness and noise.

It's easy:

Place the camera on a tripod 

Choose a composition that goes to infinity and that has a lot of small details at infinity (a cityscape would be a good suggestion)

Choose a day with no clouds (you don't want the sun going in and out behind clouds while you are doing the test) 

Set the lowest ISO on the camera (Check to see if your cameras' ISO has -.3, -.7 and -1. If it does start at -1. -1 is one stop slower than the lowest ISO number. Example, the lowest ISO number is 100 then -1 is ISO 50. If your camera does not have -1 then start at the lowest ISO number.)

Pick an aperture (I suggest F11)

Find the shutter speed that will give the best exposure for the ISO and F11

Lock the mirror up

Use a cable release or self timer 

Take the shot

Set the ISO 1 stop faster and repeat the process. Shoot full F-stops. (If your camera has ISO -1, remember that -1 is one stop slower than the lowest ISO number.)

Set the ISO another stop faster and repeat the process.

Repeat the process from ISO -1 to 1600 or 3200

Remember to always change the shutter speed, do not change the aperture!

Open the files in your computer. Compare the smallest details in the images at 36.3% and at 100%. Notice what happens to the sharpness and noise as the ISO goes up.

Use your results every time you go out to shoot

Remember that the definition of sharpness is the difference between the smallest juxtaposed details in the image.

As for this image: If you reshoot it don't let the light blow out the wood between the windows and move the trash can out of the composition. And as others have said, clean the windows.

On 11/11/2020 at 6:27 AM, Darla Hallmark said:

If we can't clean the windows before taking the photo, we clean them with the clone tool afterward.

They accepted my window shot!  Maybe there is a double standard!

An orange Tabby cat looks through a foggy, scratched, dirty window, hoping to gain entry during the Coronavirus (Covid19) pandemic crisis.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/orange-tabby-cat-looks-through-foggy-1849041577

• 5 months later...

I believe AI is used for the first assessment. Does that mean questionable submissions are then looked at by a human eye? I am receiving a lot of rejections due to camera movement blur, or focus problems. I have checked each one out at 400% and one or two were soft on focus, but the majority checked out fine. Just what is the procedure to have them reassessed? At this stage many of them are now in other libraries, but I like SS, so would like them to be more thorough with their acceptance checking. Milky waterfalls are not images out of focus, the water is supposed to be blurred for that sense of movement.