• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update to my post earlier in this thread:   November thus far: 23 downloads for $116.80.

Not only do you steal other people's images, but you also post here on the forum being recognizable in your profile pic. You are clever as f* And all that for 10 cents😵

I had an EL during the night ;o) $23 plus an ODD $3.45 - long may it continue!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Foodio said:

November 2020 finished with 103 more downloads than November 2019, but with $147.46 less revenue. Not bad considering, but not great either.

My results at shutterstock:

Downloads

Compared to November 2019: +42

Compared to November 2018: +26

Compared to November 2017: -32

Compared to November 2016: -187

Compared to November 2015: -378

Income $

Compared to November 2019: +79

Compared to November 2018: +48

Compared to November 2017: -27

Compared to November 2016: -125

Compared to November 2015: -386

31 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

My results at shutterstock:

Downloads

Compared to November 2019: +42

Compared to November 2018: +26

Compared to November 2017: -32

Compared to November 2016: -187

Compared to November 2015: -378

Income $

Compared to November 2019: +79

Compared to November 2018: +48

Compared to November 2017: -27

Compared to November 2016: -125

Compared to November 2015: -386

For the same periods mine looks like this...

Downloads:

Compared to November 2019: +103

Compared to November 2018: +113

Compared to November 2017: +327

Compared to November 2016: +128

Compared to November 2015: +44

Income $:

Compared to November 2019: -147.46

Compared to November 2018: -23.91

Compared to November 2017: +212.29

Compared to November 2016: +88.82

Compared to November 2015: +83.98

I've mentioned it before though, across all agencies my totals uncannily end up roughly the same from month to month. If I am down on SS I am up elsewhere. Consistently. Nature of my port I guess.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:31 PM, Reimar said:

I'm at 2313 sales for the year, so I'll probably make it to level 5 at the very end of December.  A few days and then we'll be back to level 1.

I'll race you there... am at 2433 as of Dec 1. Yup, we'll make tier 5 just in time for the reset.

Glad you're doing well as AS. Your work deserves it.

12 hours ago, Milo J said:

Glad you're doing well as AS. Your work deserves it.

Thanks Milo.  Getting stuff up at AS is my biggest challenge, and I'm still working on it.  Some of the capricious rejections I can live with, but the re-ordering of the top 10 keywords in each image is killing me.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:24 PM, Foodio said:

November 2020 finished with 103 more downloads than November 2019, but with $147.46 less revenue. Not bad considering, but not great either.

Depending on how much was the total earning. If a person managed to earn 1000$ in November 2019...  147$ less isn't too bad obviously.  If a  person earned  300$ in November 2019 and this year 147 less then it's very bad. So what really count is how much less we are losing in  percentage.... In my case for example in percentage is a disaster like 4 times less than last year... No more on demands or s&o... Just an infinite number of 0.10 

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Thanks Milo.  Getting stuff up at AS is my biggest challenge, and I'm still working on it.  Some of the capricious rejections I can live with, but the re-ordering of the top 10 keywords in each image is killing me.

Far better to do all that before upload to any agency, just paste them in with Adobe Bridge then no changes needed.

AS and P5 recognise metadata so no effort needed.  Its only SS that doesn't and needs repasting after upload.

1 hour ago, Former_Poster said:

Its only SS that doesn't and needs repasting after upload.

Oddly, I have no trouble at SS.  Keywords are read fine from my IPTC metadata attached to each file.  No pasting required.

It's just that going through my back catalogue, keyword order is important only for AS.  Nowhere else.  Also, I just can't do it before submission thinking AS will reject it anyway.  I only re-order accepted images and then I'm stuck with the kludgy post edit function that saps my will to live.  Still, I'm at 8,250 images now and only have about 750 to go.

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Oddly, I have no trouble at SS.  Keywords are read fine from my IPTC metadata attached to each file.  No pasting required.

It's just that going through my back catalogue, keyword order is important only for AS.  Nowhere else.  Also, I just can't do it before submission thinking AS will reject it anyway.  I only re-order accepted images and then I'm stuck with the kludgy post edit function that saps my will to live.  Still, I'm at 8,250 images now and only have about 750 to go.

Images SS reads yes.

Video footage SS does not (but AS,P5 etc do).

AS state changing keywords and order on accepted images will make minimal difference - the image "live" on keywords for 30 days after going live then after that keywords take very little weighting and its almost entirely popularity/clicks.

So they say its not worth the effort reordering already accepted images.

Also if you have 50 keywords the first 10 are NOT weighted at all, all keywords share the same weight.

Most of my AS best sellers were uploaded before i bothered with keyword weighting or knowing that 50 keywords nullified the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Also if you have 50 keywords the first 10 are NOT weighted at all, all keywords share the same weight.

I did not know that.  But few of my images have that many keywords.

My strategy is to re-order keywords within a few days of acceptance so that the early days' stats are more favorable for the image.  I understand that going back to earlier accepted images (where I only ordered the first 5 keywords for example) will have no beneficial effect.

19 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I notice that the October thread is gone.  Looks like the December thread has also been removed.  Now, while I think that a thread on December performance is premature until the end of December, why would SS remove these threads?

Not SS but the thread authors deleted their threads, see here for December: https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/101409-accidentally-deleted-my-own-thread-please-restore/?tab=comments#comment-1872762

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

On the Dutch nature forum https://forum.waarneming.nl/ you can never delete a thread, only an answer. When you have a wrong question and want to delete your thread, you have to ask an admin to do this. That works better.
Now all threads (like the October thread) started by Debbie are also gone. 

But we haven't admins anymore to ask this 🙁

5 hours ago, Reimar said:

I notice that the October thread is gone.  Looks like the December thread has also been removed.  Now, while I think that a thread on December performance is premature until the end of December, why would SS remove these threads?

There was a post on the fb group about someone getting a warning and upload restrictions because of posting about earnings. Seems like SS is clamping down on the rules in time for the new year.

57 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

There was a post on the fb group about someone getting a warning and upload restrictions because of posting about earnings. Seems like SS is clamping down on the rules in time for the new year.

Like I said all threads of Debbie (Studio 2) are deleted she's started and all her answers. She's stopped with the forum.That was also the  October thread. I think she did it herself.

26 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Alamy used to be great.  Only 4 or 5 sales a year but each sale was for hundreds of dollars.

Now its about $2 a sale instead!

I became a member of Alamy in July and now gradually have all my photos of Shutter there too. But sold 2 photos for $ 5 each so far.
I see people there who sell a lot in a month at a good price. Some with very good or many photos. But with others you wouldn't expect it when you look at the photos.

Sorry I was the one who deleted the December Sales thread which I created. I was fiddling with my old ipad 2 which has just recently lost some functionality on this forum including typing messages and in haste i clicked on moderate the thread and clicked delete and that was it! Gone! Clearly that function still worked and I didn't expect it to. Could of given a warning message to check if I was sure I wanted to delete.