• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update to my post earlier in this thread:   November thus far: 23 downloads for $116.80.

Not only do you steal other people's images, but you also post here on the forum being recognizable in your profile pic. You are clever as f* And all that for 10 cents😵

I had an EL during the night ;o) $23 plus an ODD $3.45 - long may it continue!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

The statistics page is broken. But the page on which the downloads are displayed still works.

same for me on IS  I guess there must be  something not working well... considering that on the panel usually we should see the views of november and october( 24th till 31st)  at this point of the month. anyway IS has always been crap for me  since March 2020 regardless the number of views.

2 hours ago, Svarun said:

Horrible month here...sub here and there... considering size of my portfolio, this will probably be the worst month on SS since i started with microstock.
On a brighter side, AS and DT doing pretty well last days.

My numbers at AS are pretty constant.
Nevertheless, I again have fallen by 10 places in the overall ranking last week. If I remember correctly, I have dropped 40 places in the last 2 to 3 months. 

In June, I stopped uploading here and even removed a number of my best selling images in protest to what I expected was going to be a dramatic reduction in income.  The first month was exactly what I was expecting (WME) but since then my monthly income has been very close to what I was receiving prior to the money grab by SS.

This month (thankfully) is no exception.  My RPD for November currently stands at 1.71 and is well over 1.00 since the beginning of June.  Subscription payments have never represented that big a percentage of my income and that has not changed (for Nov. it was 11%).  Hopefully, the OD, SO and EL continue at the present rate, if not, I'm sure I'll be back here complaining.   

While I know this is not going to be well received by the forum contributors, I've made the decision to begin uploading here again. I realize we all start at the bottom rung in Jan but I make far more here than I do at any of the other microstock sites to which I upload (4 others).  Like those of you that still upload, the not too intelligent AI has rejected some of my submissions for some pretty stupid reasons (FOCUS on a focus stacked image) but IMO the upload process (other than the rejections) is the easiest to use and takes the least amount of time to add additional images.

Hopefully, we all begin to see an increase in our income in future months. 

3 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Subs, subs and more subs.

Number of downloads is okay but I need ODDs, SODs, or an EL to get the dollars up. Incredibly, I'm actually ahead of where I would have been under the old system but that doesn't compensate for a lack of dollars.

Just something from a personal perspective as I look forward (ha, not really the way that term is often used) to the reset in January. The more subs I get, the faster I move up levels, and the more I'll make when I do get the ODs, S&O and ELs.

Subs may not be much, but they do have a lifting effect on the other license percentages.

My November photo sales on Shutterstock is on pace to be about 40% lower than November 2019.  My Adobe Stock sales this November  (photos and videos) is on pace to be 50% up from November 2019.  My Pond5 video sales this November is on pace to be 30% up from November 2019.  It seems like this low sales is the new normal on Shutterstock.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, Steve Bower said:

While I know this is not going to be well received by the forum contributors, I've made the decision to begin uploading here again.

And do you find that normal? Since when should you be like everyone else?
The contributors are totally free to do what they want, the opinion of others is secondary ... well that's my opinion.🙄

2 hours ago, Jacky D said:

And do you find that normal? Since when should you be like everyone else?
The contributors are totally free to do what they want, the opinion of others is secondary ... well that's my opinion.🙄

You can compare it to a strike. If some of them do go to work, the colleagues are not happy about it.
We can change things, have a say when we all stop downloading (strike). However ...... That will never happen. We are too many, with different interests and with little contact with each other (A small percentage on this forum).
I started uploading to AS and Alamy, but after three months I started uploading again like Steve on Shutterstock due to disappointing results. Knowing, however, that the price and income can drop even further.

A few years ago, I had on average one and a half times as many downloads per month as the number of images in my portfolio, if I add up the 7 agencies I work for.

The scale has changed. Today a month is good, if I manage the ratio 1:1, that means as many downloads as images in the portfolio.

So November 2020 is below the average, because unfortunately I reached the 4-digit downloads only yesterday.

But there is also good news. Compared to November 2019, I have already achieved 21.5% more income at shutterstock (and also more than in November 2018). And at AS it is 10% more. Despite Corona.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:48 AM, Charles Lewis said:

Subs, subs and more subs.

Number of downloads is okay but I need ODDs, SODs, or an EL to get the dollars up. Incredibly, I'm actually ahead of where I would have been under the old system but that doesn't compensate for a lack of dollars.

An EL and a couple of decent SODs just transformed my month.

4 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

An EL and a couple of decent SODs just transformed my month.

Well for something completely different, at least for me and from me, this is the first month ever that AS earned more that SS for me. Identical number of sales, as of today, which is also unusual. AS is $18 ahead of SS.

SS for me is down from 2019, and nearly identical to 2018 (worst ever Nov. since my first year) But there I am, one goes up, the other went down.

Today was a miserable day regarding the downloads. But the RPD is over 2.

When I think about January, the RPD doesn't matter. From the beginning of the new year on it's all about the pure amount to complete the levels as fast as possible. It doesn't even matter if you only get $6.70 for 67 downloads - as you can read elsewhere in the forum. Then even that would be okay.

I don't know yet if I will deactivate at the end of December. I have to think about it.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 00.06.26.png

4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I don't know yet if I will deactivate at the end of December. I have to think about it.

What would be the point? Just to "show them"?  SS is too big to care. But on your end, some income would be gone, and some income is better than no income.

For me, SS did alright this month. Not spectacular, but a very decent month, and beating AS by over a hundred bucks. January will be painful, but as you said, it's going to be all about volume and getting back to a reasonable tier.

7 hours ago, Milo J said:

What would be the point? Just to "show them"?  SS is too big to care. But on your end, some income would be gone, and some income is better than no income.

For me, SS did alright this month. Not spectacular, but a very decent month, and beating AS by over a hundred bucks. January will be painful, but as you said, it's going to be all about volume and getting back to a reasonable tier.

You're right, of course, Milo. That would only be of any use if a huge number of contributors were to participate. But that won't happen. Because countless contributors are desperately depending on the money in the corona crisis. And shutterstock knows that too.

On 11/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, HodagMedia said:

Just something from a personal perspective as I look forward (ha, not really the way that term is often used) to the reset in January. The more subs I get, the faster I move up levels, and the more I'll make when I do get the ODs, S&O and ELs.

Subs may not be much, but they do have a lifting effect on the other license percentages.

I'm afraid you may be disappointed. I moved to Level 4 in November and my rpd has dropped substantially since. My general income is also down though my number of downloads has held steady. So much for the new system.

8 hours ago, lonndubh said:

I'm afraid you may be disappointed. I moved to Level 4 in November and my rpd has dropped substantially since. My general income is also down though my number of downloads has held steady. So much for the new system.

When I said looking forward, I didn't mean in a positive way. I meant, watching ahead into the future. It was a bit of play on words.

I'm level 4 and my RPD has improved. All things otherwise equal, 30% of the same number is always higher than 25%.  🙂 Only way that changes is if the prices paid are lower, or downloads come from bigger sub packs.

Am I counting wrong, 31 more days until we have our percentages chopped down to starting over. Yes, of course then, I will be disappointed.