Car number in editorial photo

When I send photos from the streets of the city and there are cars on them, in most cases, I delete the license plate and do not change anything else in the photo, I send it as editorial material and it is accepted.

But today I sent several photos of cars with a cleared license plate and received such a refusal
Altered Editorial: Editorial content with post-production alterations, such as adding or removing objects from a scene, cannot be accepted.

A photo similar to this that was taken earlier and has already been sold. How can I understand whether I can clear the number on the photo or not?

black-ford-mustang-gt-50-600w-1763996897

You aren't allowed to alter editorial images. Cloning anything out is a definite no no. You can only do basic adjustments to editorial images such as WB, exposure etc. Reviewers obviously have missed this in your past images that have been approved.

Post-Processing

Only traditional photographic post-processing techniques can be used to enhance documentary editorial content. For example:

• Cropping
  • Dodging / Burning
  • Color Toning

Major editing alterations are unacceptable for documentary editorial content. For example, we do not allow:

• Removing elements from a scene, like removing backgrounds or cloning out objects.
  • Adding elements to a scene, like incorporating additional photos to form a composite, adding digital text, or adding objects.
  • Collages

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/submitting-editorial-content-part-2-documentary-editorial

2 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Except then the car is likely trademarked.

I didn't make myself clear enough, I was being general, not for the car specifically. The car photo would only be accepted as editorial.

To be clear what I meant was that it is acceptable to use cloning for commercial images. It is not acceptable to use cloning for editorial images.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, ok_fotoday said:

This is the only thing I corrected without changing anything else in the photo.

Well that is a major "correction" and definitely not allowed for editorials. I'm surprised you were able to get away with this in the past. 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, Patrick Cooper said:

Well that is a major "correction" and definitely not allowed for editorials. I'm surprised you were able to get away with this in the past. 

Removing license plate numbers, house numbers and that, is fine. Blurring is also a way to edit. Keep in mind any bar code will cause a rejection = remove or blur. Illustrative Editorial

For News Editorial, nothing added or removed, but for Illustrative and for Microstock, the agencies require us to remove house numbers, ID numbers, airplane registrations, plate numbers, barcodes, and much more along those lines for commercial.

The easiest way to cover what can be done or not, is you may not do anything that will deceive the viewer of the image. That's pretty broad too, but changing the sky from blue to orange, would be deception. Removing, cloning out, anything is deceptive. Adding something, distortion, excessive color adjustments... pretty broad. Replacing the sky or changing the actual background, is not allowed.

Anyway, SS requires us to remove some ID data, I blur them. Illustrative Editorial. Not News Editorial.

"Altered Editorial: Editorial content with post-production alterations, such as adding or removing objects from a scene, cannot be accepted. "

@ok_fotoday did that say plate number or are you guessing it's the plate number. We can't assume from a general and vague rejection, that what we guess is the reason, is actually the correct reason. 👍 Meanwhile the forum has run with plate number, when we don't know.

And maybe they changed the rules, but then we'd never be able to upload an image of the front or back of a car again, or any airplane, or any product with a barcode or...

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

Not for editorial images. Elements within such images cannot be removed. 

Then they reject for having the license plate. We'd have to know the actual rejection reason, instead of guessing. No barcodes, how do you explain how we'd upload anything at all Illustrative Editorial?

Yes, News Editorial, no changes, but Illustrative?  https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/submitting-editorial-content-part-1-illustrative-editorial

News Editorial may not be staged, illustrative may be. This is not as simple as you are trying to make the answer. And I don't think you are correct about not removing license plates.

It's possible the image, which we haven't seen, was rejected in error or should have been rejected for Non-Licensable Content.

Thanks for your discussion of the topic. The answer seems to me ambiguous. If I post a photo of a car as an editorial, then this is the expectation that someone will want to write an article about this car model and its registration number is not important for this, this could not mislead someone. But this is my opinion, so I did this, I could be inattentive to the rules, but for this there is a photo check. The question arose because a similar photo was previously approved in the portfolio.

On 10/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, HodagMedia said:

Возможно, изображение, которое мы не видели, было отклонено по ошибке или должно было быть отклонено из-за нелицензионного содержания.

This photo was similar to the one previously taken. And I just repeated the sending with the number. Here it is

white-retro-car-zastava-750-600w-1839420

7 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

The reviews are random - they're not human based and a lot of stuff that shouldnt get approved does (and vice versa).

It doesnt mean they're OK, just accidentally there. (and the submitter could end up in legal trouble if it goes wrong).

Yeah, that's a good way of explaining things. We really don't know some of the answers, because the facts are inconsistent and a mystery.

On 10/29/2020 at 7:26 AM, ok_fotoday said:

If I post a photo of a car as an editorial, then this is the expectation that someone will want to write an article about this car model and its registration number is not important for this

Perhaps so though that is not a valid excuse for breaking the rules for editorial photo submissions.

6 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Возможно, это не повод для нарушения правил подачи фотографий в редакцию.

Agree with you. And if the check had indicated this to me the first time, I would have observed it further. It seems to me that the moderators should know the rules better than me, and not cause me to doubt with conflicting decisions.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:40 PM, oleschwander said:

Yes, they can be removed but as the OP has discovered it will not be accepted - if discovered ...

Manipulating the elements of an editorial photo is against the rules. I don't think it would be wise to encourage others to do so. 

On 11/2/2020 at 9:17 PM, Patrick Cooper said:

Manipulating the elements of an editorial photo is against the rules. I don't think it would be wise to encourage others to do so. 

I agree, the problem is, what kind of Editorial. If it's news, as documentary Images, then nothing added or removed, nothing to deceive. If it's Illustrative, parts can be alter, and in fact must be altered.

But the point is, a license plate on a car, is that public or private. If it's at a car show, it's very public, if it's parked on the street, fine. You can locate pretty much anyone, by their license plate, using the web.

Also I don't think anyone has addressed is the car the subject or incidental to the photo. The OPs first post, the car is the subject, that's obvious.

This one, not. Which is extreme, but an example:

interstate-480-cleveland-ohio-eastbound-

Getting closer? 😉

magellan-strait-march-3-2015-600w-329397

All plates are unaltered.