Sign in to follow this  
NigelSpiers

Shutterstock - New Low Fees

Hi,

How's it going at Shutterstock financially now that you are selling photos for peanuts?

Please send us copies of your financial statements for the the last year.

Thanks & Best Regards

Nigel Spiers

5 hours ago, NigelSpiers said:

Hi,

How's it going at Shutterstock financially now that you are selling photos for peanuts?

Please send us copies of your financial statements for the the last year.

Thanks & Best Regards

Nigel Spiers

You are a tax agent to claim copies of my income ....? 😄
------------
I'm not doing too badly, I often have 0.10, but also between $ 0.95 and $ 1.45 and some $ 3.50.
The funny thing is that a few who have left are looking to come back ... yes yes, other stocks pay better, but buyers are rare ....🙄

8 hours ago, NigelSpiers said:

They're selling the pics pretty much at the same rates as they did before. The difference is in what they pay to the contributors - SS gets a bigger slice of the cake, we get the crumbs.

2 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

They're selling the pics pretty much at the same rates as they did before. The difference is in what they pay to the contributors - SS gets a bigger slice of the cake, we get the crumbs.

Oddly, my number of downloads are also down.  I'm now consistently at 75% of downloads compared to the first quarter of this year.  I was hoping download numbers would go up to compensate for lower royalties.  If this is the case across the board, SS would really have some egg on their faces.

12 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I was hoping download numbers would go up to compensate for lower royalties.  If this is the case across the board, SS would really have some egg on their faces.

I don't understand. Download numbers isn't something Sstock has much control over especially whilst the world is struggling economically due to Covid 🤔

Because of the bad advertising Shutterstock has gotten, I hoped the lower sales would come because buyers had gone to Stock sites like AS and Alamy. Then if they buy my photos there, I would be fine with it, but that's not the case.
I don't know if it also is because more and more is being offered for free, even now by  AS.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

I don't understand. Download numbers isn't something Sstock has much control over especially whilst the world is struggling economically due to Covid 🤔

I've heard it many times before that contributor royalty reductions by libraries are pitched as resulting in more downloads to make up the difference.  I was hoping for more downloads, not less after the cut.  Is it due to COVID?  Maybe. 

SS is marketing our images.  If they do a good job, we should win.  If they take the drastic measure of reducing our income without increasing sales, I say that puts egg on their faces.

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Because of the bad advertising Shutterstock has gotten, I hoped the lower sales would come because buyers had gone to Stock sites like AS and Alamy. Then if they buy my photos there, I would be fine with it, but that's not the case.
I don't know if it also is because more and more is being offered for free, even now by  AS.

Yep there's F all on other sites,,, contrary to some claims I read, The industry as a whole is in the gutter and heading for the drain, 

15 hours ago, Reimar said:

I've heard it many times before that contributor royalty reductions by libraries are pitched as resulting in more downloads to make up the difference.  I was hoping for more downloads, not less after the cut.  Is it due to COVID?  Maybe. 

SS is marketing our images.  If they do a good job, we should win.  If they take the drastic measure of reducing our income without increasing sales, I say that puts egg on their faces.

You perceive Sstock as being far more benevolent towards its contributors than I do. Having 'egg on their faces' would mean Sstock experienced unintended consequences with regard to the lowering of our income. 

15 hours ago, Reimar said:

Why would SS get more downloads when it has made no changes to front end pricing?  IF the reductions in contributor payments had been caused by a lowering of front end prices then increased sales would be a possibility - but SS did not do that.  It kept the prices the same while changing - for the most part reducing - the amount it paid to contributors, so there is no reason for sales to change.

Sadly, I think you are both right.  Normally, a reduction in commissions is mirrored by at least an effort at investment in more marketing.  Nothing normal here.

Y'all enjoy it while it last. January is around the corner.  

I just got an email from SS congratulating me for making it to level 4.

Was I jumping of joy? Did I care? There was time I would have I suppose, but now it felt more like another spam email.