Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, NigelSpiers said:

Hi,

 

How's it going at Shutterstock financially now that you are selling photos for peanuts?

Please send us copies of your financial statements for the the last year.

 

Thanks & Best Regards

Nigel Spiers

You are a tax agent to claim copies of my income ....? 😄
------------
I'm not doing too badly, I often have 0.10, but also between $ 0.95 and $ 1.45 and some $ 3.50.
The funny thing is that a few who have left are looking to come back ... yes yes, other stocks pay better, but buyers are rare ....🙄

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NigelSpiers said:

How's it going at Shutterstock financially now that you are selling photos for peanuts?

They're selling the pics pretty much at the same rates as they did before. The difference is in what they pay to the contributors - SS gets a bigger slice of the cake, we get the crumbs.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

They're selling the pics pretty much at the same rates as they did before. The difference is in what they pay to the contributors - SS gets a bigger slice of the cake, we get the crumbs.

 

 

Oddly, my number of downloads are also down.  I'm now consistently at 75% of downloads compared to the first quarter of this year.  I was hoping download numbers would go up to compensate for lower royalties.  If this is the case across the board, SS would really have some egg on their faces.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the bad advertising Shutterstock has gotten, I hoped the lower sales would come because buyers had gone to Stock sites like AS and Alamy. Then if they buy my photos there, I would be fine with it, but that's not the case.
I don't know if it also is because more and more is being offered for free, even now by  AS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

I don't understand. Download numbers isn't something Sstock has much control over especially whilst the world is struggling economically due to Covid 🤔

I've heard it many times before that contributor royalty reductions by libraries are pitched as resulting in more downloads to make up the difference.  I was hoping for more downloads, not less after the cut.  Is it due to COVID?  Maybe. 

SS is marketing our images.  If they do a good job, we should win.  If they take the drastic measure of reducing our income without increasing sales, I say that puts egg on their faces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Because of the bad advertising Shutterstock has gotten, I hoped the lower sales would come because buyers had gone to Stock sites like AS and Alamy. Then if they buy my photos there, I would be fine with it, but that's not the case.
I don't know if it also is because more and more is being offered for free, even now by  AS.

Yep there's F all on other sites,,, contrary to some claims I read, The industry as a whole is in the gutter and heading for the drain, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Reimar said:

I've heard it many times before that contributor royalty reductions by libraries are pitched as resulting in more downloads to make up the difference.  I was hoping for more downloads, not less after the cut.  Is it due to COVID?  Maybe. 

SS is marketing our images.  If they do a good job, we should win.  If they take the drastic measure of reducing our income without increasing sales, I say that puts egg on their faces.

Why would SS get more downloads when it has made no changes to front end pricing?  IF the reductions in contributor payments had been caused by a lowering of front end prices then increased sales would be a possibility - but SS did not do that.  It kept the prices the same while changing - for the most part reducing - the amount it paid to contributors, so there is no reason for sales to change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Earnings didn't really change much for me (yeah, I've been getting a lot of $.10 sub sales, but I've also been getting some $.50-$.73 sub sales as well, way more than my $.33 sub flat rate prior to the commission change, in addition to a few $2.25+ on demands and single & others, so it averaged out to be about the same earnings)

...UNTIL OCTOBER 2020. 

So far, as of October 23, my earnings are down about 60% from where they were in October 2019.  I need some $10+ single & other or video sales as a "bail out".

Link to post
Share on other sites

With 8 days still to go in October, I am short by three downloads of my October 2019 total but up 42% on October 2019 revenue. I'm also ahead of May 2020 (last month under old system) revenue. Last month was my best revenue month in 2020 .... actually ever thanks to an EL .... so let's see how October closes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Very very very bad considering I only had about 2,000 images and zero clips vs 10k+ images now and 1,100 clips

So sad indeed.

Turning to a different subjetc. How is your GoPro 8 behaving?  I am getting MANY rejections from my GoPro clips. What I have realized is that HD from this camera is useless, I normally shot in 2k at 120fps for slow-mo and export it as HD to get as many clips accepted as possible. Besides, the stabilizer seems to work better in that mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

Turning to a different subjetc. How is your GoPro 8 behaving?  I am getting MANY rejections from my GoPro clips. What I have realized is that HD from this camera is useless, I normally shot in 2k at 120fps for slow-mo and export it as HD to get as many clips accepted as possible. Besides, the stabilizer seems to work better in that mode.

Most of my clips are rejected for noise, even when exposed correctly and low ISO. I've tried some adjustments with some success, such as more manual settings.

Fun toy and very handy for travel!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

With 8 days still to go in October, I am short by three downloads of my October 2019 total but up 42% on October 2019 revenue. I'm also ahead of May 2020 (last month under old system) revenue. Last month was my best revenue month in 2020 .... actually ever thanks to an EL .... so let's see how October closes out.

A true comparison is only possible if we know how many files you had then and have now

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lonndubh said:

A true comparison is only possible if we know how many files you had then and have now

Technically we would also need to know how many total files SS had then and now, and over all sales numbers then and now.  It is perfectly possible that everyone is having a shit October because sales have disappeared full stop - and that it would be shit even without the changes to payment calculation,

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Technically we would also need to know how many total files SS had then and now, and over all sales numbers then and now.  It is perfectly possible that everyone is having a shit October because sales have disappeared full stop - and that it would be shit even without the changes to payment calculation,

Except that my October isn't shit. It's actually quite good and if I get no more downloads this month it would remain quite good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...