Sign in to follow this  
Ackab Photography

Introducing the free collection from AS

23 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

They say you can opt out (for now maybe?)
The problem is 70,000 images and videos on a rotating basis ARE going to be free so a lot of people are going to just choose the best free one to suit their needs.
Download limit per customer is 100 per day too...and any licence.

Personally i'd want a few thousand $ for media that way given its likely to never sell for money ever again.

What is 70,000 or even the eventual 100,000 as a percentage of their library?  Bearing in mind that the said 70,000 includes photos, vectors, illustrations, and videos.  How do you think a 70,000 library competes with normal sized microstock libraries? 

Say the free collection includes one image of  a COVID virus.  Say the first 2 dozen searchers all use this free image - so it becomes seen everywhere.  This results in 2 things - a large number of people know it was free, and the general public stop noticing it.  You come along, you use a couple of other free images of other subjects so you have opened an account, you want a COVID image - but you want one people notice, so now the free one is much less attractive to you.   Do you A look at Adobe paid images or B try and find a different free site where you also have to open an account etc etc.

In other areas freebies are standard - and they work.  Buy a new car get free tank of petrol.  Free cake outside this shop - that reminds you than you need to buy bread, might aw well buy it here.  Free go on your game if you watch the advert - what is 30 seconds anyway.

Will it work here?  I do not know.   Might it increase Adobes market share?  Yes.  Have the contributors involved been fully informed and compensated?  Yes.  Was that compensation enough to get them to agree to their works inclusion?  At least for some, yes.  Did others say no?  Possibly maybe even probably - but so far they are not sharing their experiences. 

I still say it beats how SS have done things.

2 hours ago, DJW Productions said:

Now customers are just being conditioned to expect decent options for little to no cost.

Exactly. It's good to get a buyer's perspective. 

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

In other areas freebies are standard - and they work.  Buy a new car get free tank of petrol.  

What I said.
I hope stores will do it too. Lots of free clothes, petrol, washing machine ....... 🙂 Something different than with a large purchase something for free.

Never seen the garage give away free petrol in the hope that from now on you will fill up there or buy a car. Then I would drive from garage to garage. 😁 First you have to buy something.

You could compare it to a free tasting of a piece of cheese in a shop. But here you get a whole cheese home for free in the hope that you will come and buy cheese every week after that..

I can imagine that if you become a member, what obliges you to buy, you get a (lot of) discount the first time or the right to some free photos.

It beats SS in that (i) if selected they can opt out and (ii) contributors are getting paid for free images.
Neither of which are possible here.

In the digital world it is common practice to give something for free for marketing purposes. It's not really free though. Yes, you don't pay any money but you do provide some personal data and typically the privilege to be contacted further by the entity who provided the free stuff. On accepting the free photos you qualify yourself as a potential lead, and give permission to receive future offers and be the target of marketing strategies. In order to get the free photos from AS you have to sign up with A. From now on A will profile you, see what kind of niches you are interested in, and can target you further, which for sure will have a certain percentage of conversion rate, that is some of the leads will be turned into paying customers, given enough time. The fact that the 70.000 free resources will change over time will keep you coming back to AS, and every time you come you will be offered, aside to the free stuff, some paying stuff that you may like. The more the profiling is accurate, the more chances that, sooner or later, you will buy something.

I made a little tour of the free images, and found out that with such a small number of free images (70.00) it is hard to find exactly what you want. In the process, I did find some images that I would have loved to download, that, sadly were not for free. They were shown to me while I was browsing the free resources, in a clever way, so I actually thought they were in the free collection but were in fact paying images. Nice job from AS there.

So I think that the offer of free images, if done smartly, can for sure generate an influx of new buyers over time and it is a smart thing to do, of course when the artists are compensated fairly and are free to opt in/out this game. 

20 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

You could compare it to a free tasting of a piece of cheese in a shop. But here you get a whole cheese home for free in the hope that you will come and buy cheese every week after that..

Yep you get a whole free chunk of Red Leicester.  Its when you need the Cheddar, Brie, Stilton and Edam to go with it that you hand over money.

Of course you could go and buy everything at a different shop - but you are more likely to but at the shop where you get one cheese free.

70,000 sounds a lot - but is not a drop in the bucket of the total number of stocl images in most libraries.  Dont SS say they get over a million new images a week?  If I were adobe I would choose the images for the free section carefully - yes high quality outstanding images but of subjects that are not so much in demand while being related to stuff that is.  For example a lesser known bridge in London rather than Tower Bridge, an arrangement of fruit that does not include apples and bananas (or whatever is the most searched fruit), pea hens rather than peacocks.  Stuff that is usable and good but which leads to wanting more. 

8 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Yep you get a whole free chunk of Red Leicester.  Its when you need the Cheddar, Brie, Stilton and Edam to go with it that you hand over money.

Of course you could go and buy everything at a different shop - but you are more likely to but at the shop where you get one cheese free.

70,000 sounds a lot - but is not a drop in the bucket of the total number of stocl images in most libraries.  Dont SS say they get over a million new images a week?  If I were adobe I would choose the images for the free section carefully - yes high quality outstanding images but of subjects that are not so much in demand while being related to stuff that is.  For example a lesser known bridge in London rather than Tower Bridge, an arrangement of fruit that does not include apples and bananas (or whatever is the most searched fruit), pea hens rather than peacocks.  Stuff that is usable and good but which leads to wanting more. 

exactly

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

Of course I hope you are right and I am not. Because then I will sell more. We wait. 🙂

Are there good images or bad ones?
Who got there got compensation and marketing of their other images. Now think about what those who did not get there got (Beyond the competition with free images)?

Who are the ones on the free list? If earlier marketing for the elite was secretive, now everything has become obvious.