Sign in to follow this  
Ackab Photography

Introducing the free collection from AS

To our valued AS contributors, 

Today, we’re announcing a new free content collection on AS. We know you’ll have questions, so we’d like to share some details with you.  

Why a free collection?
We want to address the demand for free content while supporting content creators as well as driving traffic to paid assets. The trend of free imagery websites isn't going away, and we want to be part of a positive solution for creators.

We believe that offering a free collection will benefit our artists and our overall business, and we are committed to doing so in an ethical way that respects you, the AS contributors. Our goal is to drive greater exposure of paid assets and more revenue back to you. We expect the free collection to attract new visitors to AS and drive more downloads from our paid collection.

What’s in the free collection?
Supporting our contributor community is of utmost importance to us, and we’ve designed this new collection with your future in mind. Content for the free collection is sourced in collaboration with a small group of AS artists who have all been compensated for these assets. The collection will initially include a limited set of 70,000 free photos, vectors, illustrations, and videos now available on AS.

The Free collection features a curated choice of assets across a wide range of categories. Customers who want more options are offered additional paid content results.

The free assets will vary over time to help us stay relevant and attract new customers while minimizing negative impacts to our paid collection.  

Educating new buyers
The content in the free collection comes with the same standard or enhanced license as content in our paid collection. When customers download free content from A, we have an opportunity to educate these users—many of them new to stock—about licenses, copyright, and respect for artists’ content.

We are committed to being a positive force in the stock industry. We expect this collection will help educate and convert users of free content into responsible buyers, benefitting Stock creators by exposing more content users to the value and peace of mind they get when they use AS.

Honestly the move makes sense to me. It's marketing, it how it works. You give something basic for free to entice buyers and get them want more and pay for it. A way to attract new customers.

7 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

Honestly the move makes sense to me. It's marketing, it how it works. You give something basic for free to entice buyers and get them want more and pay for it. A way to attract new customers.

I would agree it is marketing if there were not so many free sites already in this business.

Do they ask us what we want to give away or they just take our bestsellers?

45 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

Content for the free collection is sourced in collaboration with a small group of AS artists who have all been compensated for these assets.

Authors have been paid for the items offered for free.

10 minutes ago, Predrag Jankovic said:

Authors have been paid for the items offered for free.

I've seen that but it doesn't answer my question:

13 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Do they ask us what we want to give away or they just take our bestsellers?

There is an adobe guy over on MSG taking questions about this and answered some of the ones above. Be that as it may, I closed my adobe account today, and, finally, figured out how to close my contributor account (farbled, for those who remember) here as well. I only have 2 stock accounts left, waiting for the clock to run out. I've also pulled my stock industry book from Amazon since it was "pre-commision cuts" here and promoted SS a lot. I couldn't, in good conscience, leave it up.

Good luck to those of you staying in the business. I have a few more months left here and there, then I am done for good. Ciao.

14 hours ago, Rob Lavers LRPS said:

I just got this too, it goes from bad to worse. Reading between the lines it says giving away freebies will actually generate more sales of paid-for stock and we won't have a choice whether our stuff is given away for free. 

The way I read it is certain contributors were asked to provide content for which they were paid or "compensated" enough for them to say yes.  Obviously we do not know how much they were offered but ask yourself what fee you would agree.

14 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

In no way will those 70k images/videos/vectors will help contributors. If I were a buyer I would use those and save my money.  Don't understand AS. Too many bad moves by many agencies during this difficult times.  Time to move on... 

OK new buyer comes along to adobe - not sure if they are going to suit or not.  Searches for "lemon" and gets 5 to 10 free alternatives offered.  Takes one, finds it works well, comes back and searches "fruit bowl" and finds 5 free alternatives - all of which have been used by so many others they are "over exposed" as it were.  Following the 5 free fruit bowls there are multiple offierings of non free fruit bowls, many they has never seen before.  Wanting something new and different they decide it is worth paying to get something that has not been over exposed.  They came because of the free offerings, they stay and pay because of the quality non free offerings.

13 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I've seen that but it doesn't answer my question:

How much would you want to allow an image of yours to be part of this scheme?  They were obviously offered enough for them to say yes.

Right now what I see from this is an aggressive well tried marketing ploy by Adobe of free offerings - which has been done since man started selling stuff.  The contributors of the free stuff have been asked in advance and paid enough for them to agree.  There is no indication that Adobe are going to start giving away anyones work without payment or permission.

SS have decided to change payment rates for everyone contributor in a way that seems to have most impact on the longest standing most experienced contributors.  Adobe have come to an agreement with a number of select contributors which includes them getting paid while every other contributor continues to be paid the same.

Will it work?  I do not know.  We will see, but if the freebies bring in customers who then also see the priced items and stay to buy the  priced items then I do not see the problem - the contributors providing the freebies obviously do not see the problem or they would not have agreed to their use.

I

13 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Will it work?  I do not know.  We will see, but if the freebies bring in customers who then also see the priced items and stay to buy the  priced items then I do not see the problem - the contributors providing the freebies obviously do not see the problem or they would not have agreed to their use.

The problem for contributors with our work being given away for free is that it is instantly devalued in a general sense. The perception for buyers becomes that it's not worth paying if you can get it for free and equally, our work doesn't actually have value.

I hope stores will do it too. Lots of free clothes, petrol, washing machine....... 🙂 Something different than with a large purchase something for free.
Started Stock Photos at the wrong time.

26 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

How much would you want to allow an image of yours to be part of this scheme?  They were obviously offered enough for them to say yes.

None of my images will be part of this scheme, not because they are exceptional but because I don't support the idea of free dls of such high quality and resolution images.

Many of us have the same port on AS as on other agencies, so if you offer an image for free on AS, you will not be able to sell the same image on other agencies.

Contracts were negotiated with each artist individually and the amount paid per asset varied. However, Adobe management specified that the price for each asset should be “at least above the annual RPI” of that asset. The price paid is for one-year use in the Free collection. Assets will be returned to the Paid collection within the coming year and replaced with new content. In this way free assets will vary over time to help the collection stay relevant and attract new customers while minimizing negative impacts to the company’s paid collection.

The content in the free collection comes with the same standard or enhanced license as content in Adobe’s paid collection. Model’s Releases are guaranteed, and a Commercial License is provided with all the images in the free collection. None of the other Free websites offer such guarantees of uses.

https://www.selling-stock.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id=8cf3a8f9-8795-4bc4-8ef8-d699da5f165e

I wonder if those contributors whose work is included in the free section will get to know how many times each of their images are downloaded.
The information would be valuable in deciding if the compensation given makes it worth participating in the future.

Their theory is free stuff will entice people into paid stuff.
That wont work.  It never works.  People just take the best they can find for the job for free.

Contributors were paid a flat fee for inclusion.

4 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

The way I read it is certain contributors were asked to provide content for which they were paid or "compensated" enough for them to say yes.  Obviously we do not know how much they were offered but ask yourself what fee you would agree.

OK new buyer comes along to adobe - not sure if they are going to suit or not.  Searches for "lemon" and gets 5 to 10 free alternatives offered.  Takes one, finds it works well, comes back and searches "fruit bowl" and finds 5 free alternatives - all of which have been used by so many others they are "over exposed" as it were.  Following the 5 free fruit bowls there are multiple offierings of non free fruit bowls, many they has never seen before.  Wanting something new and different they decide it is worth paying to get something that has not been over exposed.  They came because of the free offerings, they stay and pay because of the quality non free offerings.

Right now what I see from this is an aggressive well tried marketing ploy by Adobe of free offerings - which has been done since man started selling stuff.  The contributors of the free stuff have been asked in advance and paid enough for them to agree.  There is no indication that Adobe are going to start giving away anyones work without payment or permission.

SS have decided to change payment rates for everyone contributor in a way that seems to have most impact on the longest standing most experienced contributors.  Adobe have come to an agreement with a number of select contributors which includes them getting paid while every other contributor continues to be paid the same.

Great post

At least this is voluntary, unlike here, where we were forced to come along for the ride or disable our ports.  AS hasn't contacted ME about this, and if they do, I will say no.  I will not allow even a few of MY assets to be part of the 70,000 free assets.

They'd have to be talking $1,000+ per image "compensation", and even then, as stated by someone else above, offering an image for free eliminates that image's value on other paid sites.

They say you can opt out (for now maybe?)
The problem is 70,000 images and videos on a rotating basis ARE going to be free so a lot of people are going to just choose the best free one to suit their needs.
Download limit per customer is 100 per day too...and any licence.

Personally i'd want a few thousand $ for media that way given its likely to never sell for money ever again.

As someone who buys hundreds of stock images and video clips every year, I can tell you that this will do very little to help in enticing customers to purchase more. If a client has a budget for stock, I don't even bother sifting through the lower quality cheap or free options. If they don't have a budget, I don't bother looking through expensive options. There isn't really an in-between in most cases. Now customers are just being conditioned to expect decent options for little to no cost.