58 minutes ago, Maila Facchini said:

Hi guys, how are you?

Do you know someone who makes a living (and lives well) just selling photos in stock images? I’m asking because sometimes it’s discouraging

Not sure if my answer above will be motivating. My impression is that you can make a living and live well if you treat microstock as a real business, you work every day, you have a vision, professional equipment, possibly a team, hire models if people is your niche etc... Otherwise it can go from pocket money, with small portfolios, to a significant supplemental income, for bigger and more professional portfolios. From what I read and hear around, doing video very significantly boosts earnings.

3 hours ago, Maila Facchini said:

Hi guys, how are you?

Do you know someone who makes a living (and lives well) just selling photos in stock images? I’m asking because sometimes it’s discouraging

Yes, I know some people who make their living with microstock. It is then a full-time job. And it does not necessarily have to be a team - it is also possible to do it alone.

The definition of whether one can live well from it can only be answered subjectively. From my point of view, the people I know certainly live quite well from it.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, Ackab Photography said:

This dude is kinda of bogus because he claims that these days getting in to stock photography is like the days of gold miners things were easy at first but that now you need heavy expensive machinery and lots of help. I tell you I started in this business in 2008 like he did, only I started on dreamstime. It was tough then, and it is now, perhaps now there is more of an interest in stock photography from customers now than there was 10 years ago. So what this dude Aaron is trying to do, is to try and make you feel discouraged and to give up. 

I believe the golden days were in the 80s and 90s when not everyone could contribute and those fortunate enough to be members of stock companies did see good profits but still you needed 5,000 images, really great images to sort of make a living of it so even then it was tough you see...

3 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

All  you need to do us upload another 998,500 images and you will be able to make a living too. :)

Oh, Steven,

then this is easy!
It took me only about 10 years for 1250 pictures. So according to my calculation I only need another 7985 years and that's it. 😎
Thank you for your motivating words! 

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Oh, Steven,

then this is easy!
It took me only about 10 years for 1250 pictures. So according to my calculation I only need another 7985 years and that's it. 😎

And on a bright note, if images aren't one's thing, then only need another 9,500 videos to make a livin'. 😋

6 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Oh, Steven,

then this is easy!

According to Aaron Amat, the 10 000 first images are the harder to get but after that it gets easier and faster...So you need 100 years to reach 10k and then only another 100 years to get 100k. Easy right?

Well the only issue is that microstock won't exist anymore by then...

8 minutes ago, Awana JF said:

According to Aaron Amat, the 10 000 first images are the harder to get but after that it gets easier and faster...So you need 100 years to reach 10k and then only another 100 years to get 100k. Easy right?

Well the only issue is that microstock won't exist anymore by then...

Many thanks, Awana!

Now I am reassured. I thought I would never be able to do this, but now the prospects are much better of course!
A piece of cake! 😁

I could probably make a living off my earnings if I packed up my expensive place in California and moved to rural India. So there's that hope.

20 hours ago, Cappelletti_pictures said:

So what this dude Aaron is trying to do, is to try and make you feel discouraged and to give up. 

Openly claiming that his small team makes at least $50,000/month gross (I'm estimating) is discouraging to new contributors? :) 

1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Openly claiming that his small team makes at least $50,000/month gross (I'm estimating) is discouraging to new contributors? :) 

No, Alex, it is certainly not discouraging.

But you still have to do the math. 60 models per month in the studio also cost money. Rent, equipment, storage media - you have to calculate all that. Taxes also have to be paid, health insurance, pension insurance.
My estimate is approx. $40,000, and a few people have to be fed on that.

So you can live on microstock. But that is certainly not a highlight, as it was in Yuri's time.

19 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I will discourage you by showing you that anything is possible if you believe in yourself and work towards to your goals with persistence and dedication!

On 10/11/2020 at 3:17 PM, Ackab Photography said:

Not sure if my answer above will be motivating. My impression is that you can make a living and live well if you treat microstock as a real business, you work every day, you have a vision, professional equipment, possibly a team, hire models if people is your niche etc... Otherwise it can go from pocket money, with small portfolios, to a significant supplemental income, for bigger and more professional portfolios. From what I read and hear around, doing video very significantly boosts earnings.

Thank you very much for the answer!

I do think the same 😊

Jose,

it certainly depends on where you are living. The average of $1500 and $3500 is $2.500. Which is 2.135 Euro right now. And this is not your income because you have to keep your expenses for all this traveling, equipment, hotels etc. in mind.

In Germany the average income is 3.600 Euro ($4.215). In Switzerland it is 6.350 Euro ($ 7435). In Greece it is 1.500 Euro and in India 160 Euro. With your income you'd be rich in the Democratic Republic of Congo, you'd be upper middle class in Russia and per definition (less than 60% of the average income) you'd be poor in Germany.

In the case of krakenimages you can say that you can live on it in Spain. In your case it can be said that it can be lived in Cyprus.

Ultimately, each contributor has to assess his income in relation to his cost of living.

So you cannot answer the question with yes or no.