Sign in to follow this  
Bhaven Jani

Objectionable Metadata: What could it be?

This and related images were rejected due to 'Objectionable Metadata', I am assuming they are referring to Keywords, not sure which one is objectionable, have been using these keywords for lots of images in the past.

If its not keywords, but some metadata in my Lr or camera, I have never changed it in my life, so not sure what it could be.

Any guidance would be welcome.

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 10.42.00 PM.png

Mmm okay, I hear you all,

But then, I have used that word in lots of other images too, And it is just a means to describe a person with brown skin, which many south Asians are. 

9 minutes ago, Bhaven Jani said:

Mmm okay, I hear you all,

But then, I have used that word in lots of other images too, And it is just a means to describe a person with brown skin, which many south Asians are. 

I would really not be sure if that is the reason - as the link above shows it is a search term that returns lots and lots of results.  I think it is a valid descriptive term and not just for certain ethnicities "the old man had tanned wrinkled leathery brown skin after many years of working outside" is found in descriptions of just about all ethinicities.

If it is that term and it has been picked up by AI it is going to cause quite a few problems - old coffee gone cold with a brown skin on it,  various animals with brown skin, tree bark, roast potatoes, leather, nuts - the list of things that can be described as having brown skin is quite long.

39 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

as the link above shows it is a search term that returns lots and lots of results.  I think it is a valid descriptive term and not just for certain ethnicities

I agree somehow with you. But in the name of truth none of the search results in your link have the term ‘brown skin’. It’s ‘soft skin’ ‘brown eyes’ and so on ...

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

I agree somehow with you. But in the name of truth none of the search results in your link have the term ‘brown skin’. It’s ‘soft skin’ ‘brown eyes’ and so on ...

However the term "black skin" does appear in the keywords of some.  If anyone wishes to explain why "brown skin" is unacceptable when "black skin" is acceptable I would love to hear it.

35 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

If anyone wishes to explain why "brown skin" is unacceptable when "black skin" is acceptable I would love to hear it.

Agree.

26 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

Why is is "systemic Racism"?

The world (aka the media) have gone crazy ... 🤮

I'm not sure when describing the colour of a person's skin became any type of racism. I'm black and post black art often describing the person by race or skin colour without any rejections.

I was taken aback a couple of years ago when they rejected some of my images from the Squaw Valley Ski Resort because they objected to the word "squaw', which the dictionary defines as a "North American Indian woman or wife".  But apparently now the word is objectionable and  I just recently heard the resort will be changing  their name some time in the near future....

19 hours ago, David A Litman said:

I was taken aback a couple of years ago when they rejected some of my images from the Squaw Valley Ski Resort because they objected to the word "squaw', which the dictionary defines as a "North American Indian woman or wife".  But apparently now the word is objectionable and  I just recently heard the resort will be changing  their name some time in the near future....

I had no idea that squaw was considered offensive, until I had it rejected in a Scrabble game. I read up on it, and apparently it depends on which language you assume it came from, it can either mean simply "woman / wife" or a certain part of a woman's anatomy. Personally, I've never heard or read it being used in an offensive context. The Native Americans are divided about the issue themselves.

https://indiancountrytoday.com/archive/the-word-squaw-offensive-or-not-AOz_cjbLkEaxKaUEa6kejg

Now, I'm not a language historian, but to me "Squaw" sounds a lot closer to the Algonquin word "squa" than the Mohawk word "ojiskwa", just like the word "Eskimo" sounds a lot more like "esquimaux" than "excommunicati" (I mean, really?) as noted in the article Ole posted. Yes, the world has gone nuts. People spend too much time trying to find more and more ways to feel offended and continue to divide us.

14 hours ago, Milo J said:

Yes, the world has gone nuts. People spend too much time trying to find more and more ways to feel offended and continue to divide us.

Indeed it seems like having grown up in years where people worked towards and celebrated having everyone as one big human family these days all the work is to put people back in isolated boxes apart from one other.  You are a woman - get in that box.  You are disabled - get in that one.  Caucasion - that one.   Everything from who you sleep with to how you worship is used to separate you and then once there are no more boxes to divide you into you are told what is being done for your "group" because that is what your "group" must want based on its "unique characteristics"  without anyone stopping to ask if that is actually what you want as an autonomous self thinking individual.