Sign in to follow this  
Starsphinx

Email regards digital Model releases

Had an email about this new thing from SS.  The link in it leads to https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/What-is-a-Shutterstock-digital-release?l=en_US

Now I have not ever used model releases or models - cant afford to pay and my family have a habit of running and hiding - but I am wondering if this is a good thing or bad thing if I do happen to trip over someone willing to sign a release for their hand or out of focus backview?

Opinions from those who use these things please

At Shutterstock, you don't need a release for a hand of a back view. That's at AS.

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Had an email about this new thing from SS.  The link in it leads to https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/What-is-a-Shutterstock-digital-release?l=en_US

Now I have not ever used model releases or models - cant afford to pay and my family have a habit of running and hiding - but I am wondering if this is a good thing or bad thing if I do happen to trip over someone willing to sign a release for their hand or out of focus backview?

Opinions from those who use these things please

In this article, SS is very superficial with the explanations describing it as a very simple procedure.

I didn't try it out yet but just yesterday, I visited this DocuSign site and from what I understood, you have to create an account first and sign their TOS (which I couldn't find on the site). The same thing goes for the model.

Apparently SS creates an account for us but I don't see how can that be done for the model.

As always, SS says that this is an easier way to upload a release, though I am not comfortable creating an account and sharing my data with a third party.

I am not using models but sometimes I needed to upload a property release for some of my paintings, which was very simple with the old method. I couldn't figure out yet how does that work with the new property release. Do I have to email myself and request to sign my own release?

Another inconvenient I see with the new model release is that while a friend or neighbor (as a model) could be easily convinced to sign a paper release, in the heat of the action, I am not sure he/she will be willing to share his/her email and make an account on a site he knows nothing about. All these formalities will scare away some people who would otherwise sign a release.

Not to mention that in some parts of the world (travel photos), people may not have an email address or even internet connection.

Maybe somebody else knows more about this.

2 hours ago, Milo J said:

At Shutterstock, you don't need a release for a hand of a back view. That's at AS.

I had to go back and double check then but can confirm that AS have accepted images with people in that are not identifiable, and those same images have been rejected as commercial here.

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

In this article, SS is very superficial with the explanations describing it as a very simple procedure.

I didn't try it out yet but just yesterday, I visited this DocuSign site and from what I understood, you have to create an account first and sign their TOS (which I couldn't find on the site). The same thing goes for the model.

Apparently SS creates an account for us but I don't see how can that be done for the model.

As always, SS says that this is an easier way to upload a release, though I am not comfortable creating an account and sharing my data with a third party.

I am not using models but sometimes I needed to upload a property release for some of my paintings, which was very simple with the old method. I couldn't figure out yet how does that work with the new property release. Do I have to email myself and request to sign my own release?

Another inconvenient I see with the new model release is that while a friend or neighbor (as a model) could be easily convinced to sign a paper release, in the heat of the action, I am not sure he/she will be willing to share his/her email and make an account on a site he knows nothing about. All these formalities will scare away some people who would otherwise sign a release.

Not to mention that in some parts of the world (travel photos), people may not have an email address or even internet connection.

Maybe somebody else knows more about this.

I must admit I too have some questions - namely what is to prevent a person not shown in the image as claiming it is them and signing the release fraudulently?  OK no honest sensible photographer is going to do this but consider some of the behaviour shown regards image theft and tell me that it is not going to happen.

28 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I must admit I too have some questions - namely what is to prevent a person not shown in the image as claiming it is them and signing the release fraudulently?  OK no honest sensible photographer is going to do this but consider some of the behaviour shown regards image theft and tell me that it is not going to happen.

From what I've read, fraudulent actions are not possible 😀. Everything is encrypted.
It goes somehow in these lines:

1. You request a release from SS;
2. You data is auto-populated on the form, you just have to fill in the model's address and sign it (create an e-signature);
3. The model receives an email from SS;
4. The model opens the email, fills in his part and signs;
5. Now the signed form goes back to SS and a copy of it to you.

From what I've read, if the model doesn't sign it (or doesn't check his inbox), he will be prompted continue to sign it.
He has several option, also to reject it (in case he changed his mind).

....and they say this is faster and easier???????

16 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

From what I've read, fraudulent actions are not possible 😀. Everything is encrypted.
It goes somehow in these lines:

1. You request a release from SS;
2. You data is auto-populated on the form, you just have to fill in the model's address and sign it (create an e-signature);
3. The model receives an email from SS;
4. The model opens the email, fills in his part and signs;
5. Now the signed form goes back to SS and a copy of it to you.

From what I've read, if the model doesn't sign it (or doesn't check his inbox), he will be prompted continue to sign it.
He has several option, also to reject it (in case he changed his mind).

....and they say this is faster and easier???????

How do SS know that the email I have given them and the person opening and filling in that part is the person in the photograph?  That is my concern.  For the unscrupulous it makes it much easier for them to decide that as Jack Brown will not sign the model release they will get their mate John Smith to claim it is them and sign it instead.  Yes this could have been done before but it is more difficult with signatures being witnessed - there is something about signing a piece of paper to state you witnessed someone state they were the model and sign it that feels a lot more heavy and serious than filling out an email saying a photo is of you.

46 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

How do SS know that the email I have given them and the person opening and filling in that part is the person in the photograph?  That is my concern.  For the unscrupulous it makes it much easier for them to decide that as Jack Brown will not sign the model release they will get their mate John Smith to claim it is them and sign it instead.  Yes this could have been done before but it is more difficult with signatures being witnessed - there is something about signing a piece of paper to state you witnessed someone state they were the model and sign it that feels a lot more heavy and serious than filling out an email saying a photo is of you.

Oh, now I understand what you mean and it seams to be possible to cheat the way you are saying.

I don't know whether the model has to provide some kind of proof.
We will find out when people will start using it.